Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got kooks LTS and catless connectors for 929

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015 | 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Just got kooks LTS and catless connectors for 929

marylandspeeds doing a special an got a pretty decent deal they knocked off the catless connectors for free and next week theres a BMR sale
Old 12-17-2015 | 03:37 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If you got cats for that price it would be worth postin...

Runnin catless isnt the best idea, makes the car louder and you are now none emission compliant..
Old 12-17-2015 | 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Naf
If you got cats for that price it would be worth postin...

Runnin catless isnt the best idea, makes the car louder and you are now none emission compliant..
Thats a great price for kooks and connectors. I dont know where you can find them for a better deal than that.

Most guys with performance cars couldn't care less about emissions. If you want to make power....the cats always go.
Old 12-17-2015 | 04:09 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I kept the cats and am makin great power.

Easy way to make power is to cut the cats out, the true art of makin power is makin it and keepin the emissions and noise compliant
Old 12-17-2015 | 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Naf
I kept the cats and am makin great power.

Easy way to make power is to cut the cats out, the true art of makin power is makin it and keepin the emissions and noise compliant
Well its deff gonna be a prob when i open the cutouts...
Old 12-17-2015 | 05:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Thats a great price for kooks and connectors. I dont know where you can find them for a better deal than that.

Most guys with performance cars couldn't care less about emissions. If you want to make power....the cats always go.
Thats how i feel still has stock catback just muffler deletes so the resy will help keep it in check
Old 12-17-2015 | 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naf
the true art of makin power is makin it and keepin the emissions and noise compliant
WHAT!!!??? this has got to be, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever read on the forum.

Emissions compliant? Sure if you're a tree hugging hippie. I don't see converters on ANY form of motor sports? They must not be trying to make power by your standard of true art?

Noise compliant? in what world do you live? And what is the "standard" for noise compliant? I will bet every last dime I own your V will be louder than when it came from the factory.
Old 12-17-2015 | 07:34 AM
On The Tree

was that $929 shipped? did you get any coating? i remember them posting on another site offering free coating.

looking at their website the Kooks are starting at $925.70, catless connectors are an additional $209.95, so that's a pretty good deal.

congrats! i'm thinking if i win this money fantasy football league that i'll put my winnings toward a set of Kooks, lol.
Old 12-17-2015 | 07:44 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
WHAT!!!??? this has got to be, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever read on the forum.

Emissions compliant? Sure if you're a tree hugging hippie. I don't see converters on ANY form of motor sports? They must not be trying to make power by your standard of true art?

Noise compliant? in what world do you live? And what is the "standard" for noise compliant? I will bet every last dime I own your V will be louder than when it came from the factory.
In the states probably you are right, but in Europe they are very strict...

There is more to life then left turn, left turn, and again left turn...
Old 12-17-2015 | 07:59 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

There are many jurisdictions that do not have vehicle emissions, I just moved to one of them. Oddly enough, the EPA now mandates catalytic converters on wood stoves.
Old 12-17-2015 | 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
The 10 hp lost...
i'd say it's even less than that with a set of high flow cats.

either way even the catted pipes are going to set a cat code that you'll have to have turned off.
Old 12-17-2015 | 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

The main reason we enjoy the power levels we're reliably seeing out of the internal combustion engine today is because of the technologies implemented to reach emissions and mileage standards enacted in the 70s. If the manufacturers weren't forced to get better at managing fuel, we'd still be adjusting carburetors in my opinion.

I drive a Cadillac, not a race car so I like the fact that I can roll the windows down and not worry about smelling like I just arrived in a 73 f250 with a worn out Motorcraft 2 barrel. I also like the fact that I can drive it long distances without ear plugs.

Will this cost me power in the end? A little but if going fast were the only thing I measured when considering performance, I wouldn't be working on a 2 ton 4 door sedan to begin with.

Do your thing Naf...
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:17 AM
On The Tree

the whole 'cat vs. catless' debate is completely a "to each his own" situation.

it's been in my experience that a good tuner can adjust the fueling & turn off the o2 sensors so that going catless won't result in failed emissions & super smelly exhaust.

if you're worried about noise, then stay stock, no big deal.
if you want racecar noises, have it haus, go open headers for all i care.

me personally, i'm thinking longtubes, catless connectors & stock exhaust will give me the noises i'm looking for.

Originally Posted by Naf
no way! i call BS! there's no other forms of racing here in the states.
NASCAR is life!

/sarcasm
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naf
In the states probably you are right, but in Europe they are very strict...

So....Nascar is the only motor sport not running cats? I'm sure all those European rally cars are running emissions compliant

Originally Posted by Bio248
i'd say it's even less than that with a set of high flow cats.

either way even the catted pipes are going to set a cat code that you'll have to have turned off.

Originally Posted by CaptSlow

no way! i call BS! there's no other forms of racing here in the states.
NASCAR is life!

#sarcasm

As for the exhaust smell or having cats or not wasn't really my debate. I was contesting what "the true art of power is." To me that is simply a preference. Honestly, I agree with the old man. And my next exhaust will have a set of high flow cats to hopefully decrease the smell next time. I can't sit idle for a while with out getting a headache drive inn's are not my most favorite place anymore. Especially when the people around me start bit*hing But the struggle is real for smell, expecially if there is a tail wind

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 12-17-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:50 AM
On The Tree

As for the exhaust smell or having cats or not wasn't really my debate. I was contesting what "the true art of power is." To me that is simply a preference. Honestly, I agree with the old man. And my next exhaust will have a set of high flow cats to hopefully decrease the smell next time. I can't sit idle for a while with out getting a headache drive inn's are not my most favorite place anymore. Especially when the people around me start bit*hing But the struggle is real for smell, expecially if there is a tail wind
i honestly chuckled when i read his "the true art of makin power" comment.

well this is my first v8/muscle car so tell me.... is the smell of catless THAT bad? my previous vehicle was an 08 Chevy HHR SS, it was catless & tuned for it, i honestly don't recall it ever having THAT bad of a smell.
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

It can be that bad yes...I had a maggied V and that sucker would bring you to tears and it even had smallish high flow cats on it. The headers leaked and driving it long distances required rolling the windows down.

The real problem is everybody wants $500 to dyno tune and even then there's no guarantees they'll take the time to clean it up.

As far as the noise goes, this car seems to be a bit challenged in the aftermarket muffler department because of a lack of space and the muffler configuration. Finding an aftermarket muffler with a 45 degree inlet might be a challenge which means you're having to turn the pipes to go straight into a muffler which means they're going to be rather small which equals loud.
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

i honestly chuckled when i read his "the true art of makin power" comment.

well this is my first v8/muscle car so tell me.... is the smell of catless THAT bad? my previous vehicle was an 08 Chevy HHR SS, it was catless & tuned for it, i honestly don't recall it ever having THAT bad of a smell.
I mean, its not terrible. It is no worse then my rocket. Which I get off smelling like I was riding a four wheeler. It can get annoying but my solve is to roll the windows up and use the climate controls. It never smells that way. I don't know what you mean by "tuned for" tuning isn't done for lack of cats. That is simply turning the rear o2's off. Tuning is done for optimum A/F ratio. If you tuned for not having cats it would be lean. in which case yes, there would def be less smell.

it really doesn't bother me that much. plus my girl is of the "country" type and she says she loves the smell of it. So.......yeah may stay catless for that reason. My car is an aphrodisiac
Old 12-17-2015 | 10:13 AM
On The Tree

I don't know what you mean by "tuned for" tuning isn't done for lack of cats. That is simply turning the rear o2's off. Tuning is done for optimum A/F ratio. If you tuned for not having cats it would be lean. in which case yes, there would def be less smell.
all of the above, lol. the rear o2 sensor was turned off and the a/f was taken care of.
Old 12-17-2015 | 02:55 PM
On The Tree

was that $929 shipped? did you get any coating? i remember them posting on another site offering free coating.

looking at their website the Kooks are starting at $925.70, catless connectors are an additional $209.95, so that's a pretty good deal.

congrats! i'm thinking if i win this money fantasy football league that i'll put my winnings toward a set of Kooks, lol.
Yes 929 shipped i didnt get it coated but they asked and i passed it up onthe invoice it has the connected pipes as holiday special so im thinking they are just knocking off anything added to the actual headers
Old 12-17-2015 | 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
So what was the total cost with shipping? Ive been looking for a used set with the extension pipe with cats to mate to my corsa for months now and nothing.....

I find the noise and smell a bit annoying at times without cats. The 10 hp lost is nothing when your talking 600 hp. Plus my wife will know something is up.
Yes 929 shipped

Quick Reply: Just got kooks LTS and catless connectors for 929