Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tuning issues? NW 102 TB, FAST 102, fully built 416xi LS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I am goin to see my inlaws in july so i will be in Georgia. 90 mins from any decent civilization but 10min from walmart
Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
better off paypaling the $$ i'd hate to see the shipping and the customs guys would grab it and drink it anyway.
Exactly what I was going to say lol. Shipping would be as much as the beer.

But Naf, I will be in georgia in 2 months also.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I like them imports like Labatt ice and Blue... Would you consider Canadian beer as an import??
Old 03-28-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Naf
I like them imports like Labatt ice and Blue... Would you consider Canadian beer as an import??
oh my. i will never knock anyones taste but damn shoot higher than that lol.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nintastio
Well, I'm not sure how closely he followed your changes but we did manage to get the car much closer to good. I have not been able to get the car to stumble but now the rolling idle is around 1400RPM, and settles down to around 900 as soon as I hit 0MPH. He wants me to drive it around this week and let him know if there are any negative effects from the changes we made over the weekend. I have only driven the car about 15 miles but am pretty happy with the outcome so far. There is still slight lunging when lightly accelerating under 2k RPM but much less noticeable and rarely occurs now.

Once I get some money together I am going to pickup my own HP tuner so I can make slight changes myself and also monitor exactly what is going on when needed.
The 900 at Idle is perfect the
1400 RPM while coasting a rolling Idle seems a little bit high let him drop it down to about 1100 1200 RPM that should be better in traffic
Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I'm not sure how closely he followed your changes but we did manage to get the car much closer to good. I have not been able to get the car to stumble but now the rolling idle is around 1400RPM, and settles down to around 900 as soon as I hit 0MPH. He wants me to drive it around this week and let him know if there are any negative effects from the changes we made over the weekend. I have only driven the car about 15 miles but am pretty happy with the outcome so far. There is still slight lunging when lightly accelerating under 2k RPM but much less noticeable and rarely occurs now.

Once I get some money together I am going to pickup my own HP tuner so I can make slight changes myself and also monitor exactly what is going on when needed.
It's seriously time you get a decent tuner.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:14 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by serik21
Not everyone has access to decent tuners.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

The list of cars tuned by the current tuner is rather impressive. Have you heard of the "Red Dragon"? It's a red Chevy truck putting down some serious power and has been all over 1320 for years now. That is his truck and has tuned many high HP vehicles. I have been rather shocked as to why he is having so much trouble with my car. If you can point me to some one in the Kansas City area that will do a better job step up and point them out. I am totally new to the LS world and only know Honda tuners in the area.

However after this last tune the car is running decent. Not good yet but it's decent for sure. My main issue now is the high rolling idle and the p0300 code it is randomly throwing. I'm not sure if this is a false code or if I should actually be worried.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

P0 300 is probably due to a spark plug wire being loose, I would put a pair gloves on and do a wiggle test make sure all your spark plug wires are properly connected if they are maybe you may have to start changing spark plugs they may also be fouled up

It happens,

Let him drop the rollin idle tp table a little for you.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

The list of cars tuned by the current tuner is rather impressive. Have you heard of the "Red Dragon"? It's a red Chevy truck putting down some serious power and has been all over 1320 for years now. That is his truck and has tuned many high HP vehicles. I have been rather shocked as to why he is having so much trouble with my car. If you can point me to some one in the Kansas City area that will do a better job step up and point them out. I am totally new to the LS world and only know Honda tuners in the area.

However after this last tune the car is running decent. Not good yet but it's decent for sure. My main issue now is the high rolling idle and the p0300 code it is randomly throwing. I'm not sure if this is a false code or if I should actually be worried.
Not trying to knock the guy or anything but having a 1200whp or 2000whp 1/4 mile car is not the same as having a daily driven 500whp car. Let me put it to you this way, if Naf has to help your tuner dail is tune in, and his advice almost gets you all the way there, its time for a new tuner, not saying against Naf but when a enthusiast knows more than a tuner you to start asking questions about his LS tuning experience. My advice seek out a tuner some one like Pat G or others that do remote online tunes and just rent your tuners dyno and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to knock the guy or anything but having a 1200whp or 2000whp 1/4 mile car is not the same as having a daily driven 500whp car. Let me put it to you this way, if Naf has to help your tuner dail is tune in, and his advice almost gets you all the way there, its time for a new tuner, not saying against Naf but when a enthusiast knows more than a tuner you to start asking questions about his LS tuning experience. My advice seek out a tuner some one like Pat G or others that do remote online tunes and just rent your tuners dyno and be done with it.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

Take Serik's advice. In the long run, you will be glad you did.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sssnake
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

Take Serik's advice. In the long run, you will be glad you did.
You guys missed my point a bit there. I wasn't trying to defend the tuner myself either. I think it's a bit ridiculous he has had so many issues tuning my car.

What I meant by that is how am I supposed to find a good tuner? This guy has a good reputation around here and has tuned hundreds of cars with many happy customers. So I can't go by word of mouth in my local area because that is what got me here...

I am all for finding a new tuner, but I don't know where one is. I am not willing to do an online tune, I would rather drive or tow the car somewhere.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I am also not for remote tunin, but thats my preference.

Look around areas you are goin to, you may find someone of good talent at your next destination
Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

You guys missed my point a bit there. I wasn't trying to defend the tuner myself either. I think it's a bit ridiculous he has had so many issues tuning my car.

What I meant by that is how am I supposed to find a good tuner? This guy has a good reputation around here and has tuned hundreds of cars with many happy customers. So I can't go by word of mouth in my local area because that is what got me here...

I am all for finding a new tuner, but I don't know where one is. I am not willing to do an online tune, I would rather drive or tow the car somewhere.
It's not a online tune, its a a live tune via the web how it works you rent a dyno put your car on you data log a pull, send the info to your tuner, he sends you a updated tune file you load it, do another pull send the info to him he adjust it in real time, just like your tuner would on-site. So it's called a remote tune. Not a mail order tune that you are thinking, like I said I've heard great things about Pat G doing remote tunes. Don't take my word for it search the threads. There are other tuners out there that will do the same thing.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Serik covered it well. One more thing to add from my experience.

I initially went to a tuner. He had an awesome reputation for making really fast LS1/6 drag cars. A month of my car sitting at his shop (on and off) and I finally bit the bullet and bought HPTuners. What I found was a complete mess. Google PE raping and you get the idea. He was good at getting the AFR right when in PE mode but that was about it. Driveability sucked and varied day to day. Power varied day to day. It has taken me forever (and I still mess with my tune quite a bit) but I couldn't be happier that I decided to leave my tuner and go a different route.

If you want this thing right and quick I would go with a remote tuning route using a dyno like Serik mentioned. I have also heard good things about Pat G doing these remote tunes. If you are willing to put in a LOT of time to learn to tune then you can do it yourself. Personally if I had it to do all over again I would buy HPTuners AND get Pat to remotely tune my car. That way I could learn from him as he made changes (keep in mind he is not being paid to teach you but if you are observant I am sure you could pick up things).

That is my $.02
Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough, someone givin you proper advice and changes from a remote location.

Makes sense, just have to schedule the dyno time around his free time and you are good.

Sux to me be, too far out of the appropriate time zones.... Its ok, will schedule a trip to our sin city, dubai, once i get my car started again.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

My main question would be how they tune for drive ability on a dyno. The WOT tune is already done and good, it's just normal driving below 2k RPM that I have issues with. Do they still do that on a dyno? Cause if so I don't see the reason and my main concern with a remote tune is if they have an issue, then my car may need to sit on that dyno all day and they probably aren't okay with that.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that I just don't really understand the process and that makes me want to stick with a process I am comfortable with.

But if you guys are saying that is my best option I suppose it's time to figure it out and get comfortable with the idea.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What everyone is trying to say is that if he didn't spend the time to get the basic drivability correct, the rest of the tune is likely a mess as well. Several things can be manipulated to make a high dyno number or a fast time while the tune itself is far from acceptable. I had the same issue, I was taken by John B. of BEHE, who was recommended and held in high regards with the GTO guys and Lyndsay Cadillac (a local dealer here).

I think Jesse Bub is in KC? Might want to check over in the timing section and maybe post something there.

Out of curiosity, which 102 throttle body do you have? Is it based off the LS7 or LS3 by chance?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DMM
What everyone is trying to say is that if he didn't spend the time to get the basic drivability correct, the rest of the tune is likely a mess as well. Several things can be manipulated to make a high dyno number or a fast time while the tune itself is far from acceptable. I had the same issue, I was taken by John B. of BEHE, who was recommended and held in high regards with the GTO guys and Lyndsay Cadillac (a local dealer here).

I think Jesse Bub is in KC? Might want to check over in the timing section and maybe post something there.

Out of curiosity, which 102 throttle body do you have? Is it based off the LS7 or LS3 by chance?
I was referred to KC Maxx performance by a friend. He has had good luck with the three cars he had tuned by them so maybe they can do a better job than Justune. I will also look up Jesse Bub and see if they are confident in tuning the car.

I am not sure what the throttle body was based off, however as far as I know there is only 1 part number for a NW 102 TB. They updated the design at one point, but both units were designed for just about all LS based motors from what I have read.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was referred to KC Maxx performance by a friend. He has had good luck with the three cars he had tuned by them so maybe they can do a better job than Justune. I will also look up Jesse Bub and see if they are confident in tuning the car.

I am not sure what the throttle body was based off, however as far as I know there is only 1 part number for a NW 102 TB. They updated the design at one point, but both units were designed for just about all LS based motors from what I have read.
My bad, he's in Warsaw Indiana. Anyhow, the LS1/2 throttle bodies operate completely different from the LS7/3 and everything up. The blade actuates in the exact opposite direction of each other and has always wreaked havoc on the PCM since the readings it sees are inverse of what they should be, which forces reduced engine power.

I've never dealt with a NW102, but in order for the later model TB's to work there was a lot that had to be done, many of which removed every safeguard of the drive by wire system to prevent a run away condition.

Quick Reply: Tuning issues? NW 102 TB, FAST 102, fully built 416xi LS3