Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aging System - AC pressure check

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
I'm scared to take off the low side cap Before I got some answers
So I don't know what you think the gauge is actually going to tell you and if you're scared of it you shouldn't fool with it..
Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meaning i didnt want to take it off incase it leaked or sucked air, didnt know if it had a shrader valve in it or not, took it off and hooked the gauge to it before i hooked the gauge to the can and it was around 30ish. So i added a small can and now its reading 40 so i thinks its in the safe and full range. Just curious if i couldve got air in it during the process. Seems fine for now so well see
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure that those cans usually add a small amount of air from the hose if there is no purge valve. They're a band-aid fix that I'm actually surprised they offer to the public.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Has anyone used an aftermarket condenser with good results, and if so, which brand did you go with? OEM is $280ish from Rock Auto, while the aftermarket ones are 1/3 - 1/4 of that. NAPA is in the middle at $150ish - based on the warranty info, looks like the NAPA is a Spectra Premium.

I've got the system evacuated to do the compressor. Already pulled the desiccant pack, it looked fine, so the tech @ Lindsay said it looks like I got to the compressor before it grenaded and put metal through the system. I don't need to replace the condenser, but all of the mounts are pretty heavily corroded - one of the lower mounts fell apart when I unbolted the condenser from the radiator.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 480 Likes on 370 Posts

The gage set has leaders, as well as the connections for a commercial can of R***

If you can get ahold of an empty can from R-12 or R-134 (Whichever the car came with.)
the gage set is capable of pushing refrigerant in to the can, DO NOT DO THIS WITH the disposable cans.!!!
Only a commercial one.

The plastic caps are dust covers, they have to have a shrader under them or you couldn't fill it originally..

There are online courses just of properly topping off Auto AC, With all the valves closed on the gage set, you can hook the hoses up.
There is a High side and low side hose they are all color coded. (For both the car side and the tank side. )

Your supply can goes on the low side, the discard can goes on the high side.Again the discard can must be a full size Freon rated container.

You do not have to bleed the system if all you want is a top off, the factory style manuals usually have the correct high and low side pressure for OFF/ON

Note: The newer the vehicle the more sensitive they are to charge level, Auto units are typically filled by pressure,
not Weight like HVAC.. Other than using a base charge on a fully evacuated system when first filled.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've got a good compressor and condenser if your interested. It's posted in the classified for $200 but I'm open to offers.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Has anyone used an aftermarket condenser with good results, and if so, which brand did you go with? OEM is $280ish from Rock Auto, while the aftermarket ones are 1/3 - 1/4 of that. NAPA is in the middle at $150ish - based on the warranty info, looks like the NAPA is a Spectra Premium.

I've got the system evacuated to do the compressor. Already pulled the desiccant pack, it looked fine, so the tech @ Lindsay said it looks like I got to the compressor before it grenaded and put metal through the system. I don't need to replace the condenser, but all of the mounts are pretty heavily corroded - one of the lower mounts fell apart when I unbolted the condenser from the radiator.
I ordered a TYC condenser in August 2017 and installed shortly after. All good so far.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Despite my asking the question and getting a positive response about the TYC, I went ahead and ordered the ACDelco part from Rock Auto. What showed up is a Denso. No ACDelco markings anywhere on the box. Instructions sheet says Denso on it, and has Japanese and English (well, kind of English :p ) instructions on it. Little can of Denso brand refrigerant oil.

Now, I know ACDelco doesn't actually manufacture everything (anything?) they sell. I don't know if Denso makes the OEM condenser for ACDelco. I'm used to ACDelco products (which I've ordered from Amazon, Rock Auto, and probably Ebay over the years) coming in ACDelco boxes. I certainly am not keeping an ACDelco (if that's what it actually is) branded Denso for $200 more than the Denso branded version!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I ordered the Denso branded condenser off Rock Auto to see if it was the same as the ACDelco one that I already received. They are definitely not the same - different packaging, end tanks have different reinforcements on them, dryer canister thing is different, mounting brackets are different, connections where A/C lines attach are different, etc. While I didn't expect to find that the condensers were the same thing, just in different boxes, I was surprised at how much they're different. The one disappointing thing on the Denso one is that the plug for the dryer is plastic rather than aluminum. Other than that it looks fine.

Quick Reply: Aging System - AC pressure check