Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

16 volts at idle!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
I know - I meant suggesting it was because of the smaller pulley. Larger or smaller is no different than different RPMs from the engine changing the alternator speed.

The alternator creates AC votage that the rectifier/regulator converts to DC.
Again wrong you are.

If over excite the alternator, the regulator cannot keep up and you end up over your nominal voltage.

I had a situation where i used a 25% up crank pulley so to keep my amps and voltage up i used esp's small pulley. It was about 1.5-2" in dia and since i installed it i had nothing but 16+ volts all the time.

I couldnt tune the car for i was either.

If you dont believe me, try it and find out first hand...
Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Then why don't all of our cars start producing 16V when the engines are spooled up at higher rpms? That has a much greater effect on alternator speed than a smaller pulley does at idle speed. You can believe you're right, but again the OP has shown if someone had followed your advice, he'd be chasing his tail to no avail.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Let me try and find that tiny alt pulley and you can try it on your car and see what i did...
Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
Then why don't all of our cars start producing 16V when the engines are spooled up at higher rpms? That has a much greater effect on alternator speed than a smaller pulley does at idle speed. You can believe you're right, but again the OP has shown if someone had followed your advice, he'd be chasing his tail to no avail.
Generator output frequency is proportional to speed. In a system with an automatic voltage regulator, speed has no impact on voltage unless the output frequency becomes so insanely high that the exciter can't compensate for the stator's synchronous reactance anymore.

Were this to occur, the exciter would be commanding max field voltage but couldn't produce rated voltage at rated current. So the output voltage of the alternator will actually go down at extremely high speed (well above the design maximum), not up.

The reason why voltage fluctuates a little during speed transients is that the automatic voltage regulator has limited control bandwidth. When you rev the engine and spin up the alternator, the output frequency of the generator increases and the AVR has to compensate for the increasing reactance of the stator by increasing field voltage. The opposite is true during a rapid reduction in speed. Neither of these conpensations can occur instantly, which is why you can see a little bit of a delay and some overshoot.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuzzy, that was a rhetorical question for NAF, who was claiming a smaller pulley was a cause of the high DC voltage.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Man I'm not sure if the battery was on its way out or that 16volts cooked it but I finally got it all together today only to find out the battery is dead and junk. WTF I'm a little upset with mechman too as now my car has been down for 6 weeks. SMH
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your experience here has convinced me that if ever I purchase an aftermarket alternator, I am going to have it tested by a rebuilder or at the parts store first.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I like Die Hard Platinum and WalMart Everstart Maxx batteries, depending on my desired budget.
I have had excellent results with PowerMaster HO alternators on both LS and SBC applications. Knock on wood, they have been just as reliable as original GM parts and better than GM remans.
If I only drove occasionally, I might go with an Optima Blue Top to deal with deep cycling.
I think it's entirely possible a smaller pulley could cause overcharging if the regulator is also not functioning/properly. I've been challenged more than once by multiple root causes manifesting as one symptom.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Man I'm not sure if the battery was on its way out or that 16volts cooked it but I finally got it all together today only to find out the battery is dead and junk. WTF I'm a little upset with mechman too as now my car has been down for 6 weeks. SMH
Be glad you found the source of the problem. How old is your batt?
You could try and claim a defect batt, make you feel a little better...
Old 09-09-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c

Were this to occur, the exciter would be commanding max field voltage but couldn't produce rated voltage at rated current. So the output voltage of the alternator will actually go down at extremely high speed (well above the design maximum), not up.
So, I'll throw my theory into the ring.

*The excitor is controlled by a pulse that comes directly from the ecm. I'm almost %100 on that.

*The ecm calls for the excitor to work at max load/output during idle/ low rpm because it's designed for the hardware with which it was built (that's my assumption).

So with that theory, it's possible the smaller pulley (making the alternator spin faster at low rpm compared to stock) combined with the stock ecm calling for a full pulse on the excitor is making the alternator over charge. Kind of like when guys try to put a modern alternator in an old car without an ecm and just jump the excitor contact.
That's my theory.

Another one is that your battery had an issue in the first place and the regulator was freaking out?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

The fact of the matter here is simple. Swapping pulley sizes WILL NOT CHANGE VOLTAGE. It's that simple. If it did your alternator would produce 16volts either earlier (smaller pulley) or later (larger) in the rpm band. That's it. It would be the same result at different times. I'm not sure why this has become any kind of debate. Only the voltage regulator controls voltage, and it's either working or not.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that, but the mfg also admitted to sending you either wrong or wrongly configured reg in that unit right? I thought it was clear when you reported that so I'm a bit surprised there is still debate.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yes. They sent the wrong regulator totally. I sent it back they swapped it and good to go.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I called mechman and it turns out they put the wrong regulator on it. It has a 3 wire. Not the 2 it needs. great. Another freaking week minimum my car is down. SMH

Ha! I missed that whole post! Oops... Sorry about your loss but happy for the solve.

Anyway, I guess I have the excitor circuit misunderstood. Now that we've established my 2 cents has less value than bitcoin, can someone explain exactly how the excitor works then, if it doesn't affect the voltage? I'm usually pretty good with electronic tech, but still novice with motor generator theory.

Quick Reply: 16 volts at idle!