Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTSV market value.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016 | 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I've been on pretty much this exact thought process. While I could afford a V2 or new Colorado Duramax car payment, I really enjoy not having a car payment and the lack of depreciation involved. I've already performed almost all of the common fixes needed for this car and I know I couldn't get out of it what I feel it's worth as it's one of those peasant of the peasant's plasti dipped piles of ***** that needs paint even though mechanically, shes very sound.

So, with being 22 and content with the joys of the V1 and it's capabilities, I'm thinking I'm going to just pick up an old s10 zr2 as work truck/backup/play vehicle so I can further modify the V.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I'm in a bit of a conundrum over mine because of this.

I bought mine in 2011 with 90k for 19k. I probably overpaid as the car wasn't very "fresh," but there were few Vs on the market at the time and I was impatient.
As most V owners discover, this car needed a lot of expensive fixes. Over the years, I've probably got close to $30k in it and even so, has turned into a daily beater. It cleans up well, but other life events have taken financial priority and it needs a couple grand in parts to bring it up to standards. It's my own fault for not staying on top of things, but this car will "$200 you to death." Nothing is really beyond repair, so I've just dubbed it the POS-V. It runs and drives dependably.

Given its current condition at 160k, I wouldn't want to sell it privately and I wouldn't get much at all on a dealer trade as it is clearly a wholesale car. I'd be lucky to get $8k for it, I feel. On top of that, I'd be taking on another payment. I paid the V off in early 2013--I only financed 12k of it.

I need a truck for personal and upcoming work use, but fullsize truck prices have been pretty discouraging. I'm considering just getting an S10 to daily and slowly getting the V back in shape to enjoy. It would be much easier to work on if I didn't need it to get to work every weekday.

So, I can't decide whether to get an S10, keep the V and sink another $3k I'll never get out of it and enjoy it (sometimes), or do I consolidate, trade it in for a decent truck and take the hit? I feel like I would regret the trade.
Old 11-08-2016 | 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

y.

So, I can't decide whether to get an S10, keep the V and sink another $3k I'll never get out of it and enjoy it (sometimes), or do I consolidate, trade it in for a decent truck and take the hit? I feel like I would regret the trade.
Is $3k just for general maintenance or is it for parts you'd like to have? You are kind of at point where it's a toss to keep or sale. But for the trade-in price and the $3k, could you find a better car or one in the same condition it would be brought up to? If you are going to keep it for a dd, I would probably keep it. They're nice cars and a good bang for the buck. I haven't had mine that long but they do kill you with the $200 here and there. However any 10+ year old luxury brand car is going to do that. Look at Audi's and BMW's, they're the same.

To the OP, the cars haven't bottomed out yet, if there is such a thing. It all depends on mileage, condition and what someone is willing to pay for it. A few things that don't help with the value is that they're all getting to be 10+ years old, weak aftermarket for them, very dated Nav unit, and they're a GM vehicle. Now is the best time to buy one since they have already taken a huge hit on depreciation. The only American branded vehicles that seem to be holding there value is pickup's. I was going to buy a 2010 F150 Lariat but couldn't find one with less than 100k and under $25k.
Old 11-09-2016 | 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

There are no other 4 door, v8, manual transmission cars out there in the V1 price range. Once you get past some of the cars short comings, it proves to be pretty damn serviceable and at 257k, my car still has tons of miles left in it which makes it worth more to me than it's worth on paper.

If the motor goes south, I have a lot of options from the "I'm broke, lets stick a junkyard 5.3 in it" to the skies the limit. If the transmission goes, we're learning of new options which include the Camaro 6060 (maybe) or the magnum xl....beyond that, junkyard options for differential and fuel system upgrades are also coming to light. this kind of flexibility is hard to attach a dollar value to.
Old 11-09-2016 | 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

I bought mine for a reasonable price with a branded title - it wasn't damaged enough to worry me. Yeah, it nickel and dimes you (my wife has voiced this), but it's an awesome car. I also bought it knowing it would be my daily driver/maybe tinker toy for years to come.

I've looked at Audi, MB, and BMW (the used slightly older performance stuff) and they cost more initially even used, and parts/service tend to be even more expensive. The 2004 S4 is known to loose the timing chaing on it's v8 taking out the valves--to fix it you have to pull the motor since it's on the back of it (?!?!?!?). . . AMG brakes are $$$$ for original stuff.

So, the V1 is an awesome deal.
Old 11-09-2016 | 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CTSvOH
Is $3k just for general maintenance or is it for parts you'd like to have?
Mostly maintenance. Driveshaft fix, AC rebuild, trans rebuild, plastic parts that have either flown off/dragged off/cracked , HID ballast, exhaust leak, etc. The only upgrade in that estimate are CS Toe rods (@ $250). The $3k didn't even factor a new bumper cover, which it could also use (+$1k).

2010 F150 Lariat but couldn't find one with less than 100k and under $25k.
With as many trucks as there are on the road, both old and new, I really don't see how those valuations stick. The supply is there.
Old 11-09-2016 | 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

With as many trucks as there are on the road, both old and new, I really don't see how those valuations stick. The supply is there.
It's ridiculous. Last summer I traded in my 2011 F250 with about 85K miles for an honest $37,500. It was loaded but still. I almost couldn't keep a straight face.
Old 11-09-2016 | 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crazy tarzan
The 2004 S4 is known to loose the timing chaing on it's v8 taking out the valves--to fix it you have to pull the motor since it's on the back of it (?!?!?!?)
I really wanted to get an S4 but the whole issue with the timing chain made me steer clear. After doing a ton of research I believe the issue is over hyped, but I still didn't want to take the chance. That's why I went with the V1.
Old 11-09-2016 | 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Right now my 04 F150 Lariat SuperCab is worth more than my 04 V1. The used truck market is ridiculous right now.
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

I really wanted to get an S4 but the whole issue with the timing chain made me steer clear. After doing a ton of research I believe the issue is over hyped, but I still didn't want to take the chance. That's why I went with the V1.
And "S4OH" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Unless you are secretly a dentist? http://www.s4oh.org/
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:29 AM
Teching In

I bought my V1 4 months ago for $11k. I thought it was a pretty good value. There were/are a few cosmetic issues, and the sunroof is broken. I'm having some mechanical issues now, but nothing out of the ordinary for a used vehicle.
Old 11-14-2016 | 11:24 AM
Teching In

3 weeks ago I purchased an 06 in stealth gray with 30k on it for 17,000 love it so far no issues. Just had recalls done last week
Old 11-14-2016 | 11:42 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a great deal! What recalls did you have done to it?
Old 11-14-2016 | 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSD
Sounds like a great deal! What recalls did you have done to it?
I had the brake lines done and fuel module and harness as well as the key covers done
Old 11-14-2016 | 12:13 PM
Teching In

and it was car is a gem garage kept and just all around really clean car
Old 11-19-2016 | 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right now my 04 F150 Lariat SuperCab is worth more than my 04 V1. The used truck market is ridiculous right now.
I No kidding! I have the same nightmare of a 5.4 3V truck. It needs an engine at 125,000 miles because of the super common crank thrust bearing, low oil pressure, phaser, melted passenger head thing... I'd love to dump it ,but it's still a nice, low mile, rust free 4wd truck. I was looking at 2007-2011 GM extended cab 4wd trucks. All were 100K plus miles, all were showing signs of rust in the rockers, and all were starting at $16,000+. At this point I think my best bet is to pay the $6,000ish to put an engine in my truck.

I bought my '05 V in early 2010 for $18,750 with 50,000 miles. I'd guess it's still worth around 10K. I'm not at all upset about that. I'd have lost at least double that with any new car I'd have wanted in 2010. Outside of a blown diff, a surge tank, and a radiator, it's been trouble free.
Old 11-19-2016 | 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm an original owner. Bought my 2006 in Dec 2006 in Ohio. I now have 85000 miles on it. Only drive it in summer. Other than skip shift eliminator and UUC shifter I have done tie rod ends. GM replaced my fuel pump that I was thinking of replacing as PM. I will do some maint this winter. No desire to sell it as what do I replace it with? I actually have 3 E46 M3s that I have rebuilt etc.While nice, just do not compare.
I also have 600hp E36 LS swap for all out power.
I am currently bidding on a salvage ATS with manual trans. If I get it I might make my own ATSV2.....That MIGHT get me to get rid of V1, maybe.
Old 11-20-2016 | 11:21 AM
JDB
Launching!

These cars vary so much in what they need at the time of sale, overall condition, miles, mods, and of course the situation of the seller.

I've seen beaten ones needing a lot of work to garage queens with every mod on it.

In 2010, I bought my black/black 2005 completely stock with ~25k miles on it with remained of its CPO warranty for $23,500 from a guy unloading cars because he was moving across the country. He could've gotten more, but wanted out. 1/2015, I sold it for $20k with 59k with the mods in my sig.

It comes to to the seller not getting what they want for it and the buyer feeling he paid too much, then you found the right price.
Old 11-21-2016 | 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
I think my best bet is to pay the $6,000ish to put an engine in my truck.
For $6k, put an LS in it.
Old 11-22-2016 | 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

For $6k, put an LS in it.
I wish. I hate the 5.4 turd. It tows ok but not really much power and bad fuel mileage. The actual engine is $4700 installed, but I'll add at least a starter and radiator to that.
Old 11-26-2016 | 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rjoffe
My '04 is up for sale currently, 55K miles and asking $17,500.

I've had some offers, but well below what I think it's worth. Trade in offer from dealer was significantly lower than I expected.

I'll post back here when it sells with all of the offers I've had and final selling price.
Sold for $17,000.

I honestly feel that was a decent price for both the buyer and myself.

Quick Reply: CTSV market value.