Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 + awd + 2 door = success!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that's a title for the wife's business card!!!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to nik I think they call you 54inches at that point 🤦😂
Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
All fun aside, that isnt nice to say.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah this confused me? Haha I like Adam/54, he shares my desire to tell people they are idiots if infact they are idiots. As their number is growing exponentially.

For instance the OP, some how he went political in his retort? Don't ask me why, because my grandmother taught me that it was rude to talk politics. So he made a foolish assumption created in his head I was anti-Trump? Lol he must have missed the fact I live in Texas. I wasn't even whining just sharing an opinion about the likelihood of where this thread will end up. Or maybe I was correcting him on his use of the word success? *retitle: Sucessful render of 2 door V1. There, that's better. I give up trying to correct his understanding of your vs you're. Anyway....

Obviously some take that as him (54) being dickish. Me? I think I call a spade a spade. And people are too sensitive anymore. That and they all want to be spoon fed everything and do none of the leg work themselves.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it is possible, seen a few guys shorten their F-bodies, though just as rolling chassis. Whether it gets done or not is the fun part for the OP. I am more curious on the plan for the AWD. Was under mine, adjusting end links, and looked around, just... how....? Had me looking around for something similar, here's a good laugh http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=18
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't he start the "friendly" thread about his car burning? Dunno him from Adam, bad sense of humor perhaps
Old 02-01-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No more nonsense!

Update:

Cut the bitch in half! Took off 8" and closed the gap, tacked welded, done! . I only bothered aligning the bottom since the top will be chopped 1.5" (probably doing it friday).

All measurements have been done, it's spot on to the 16th! Had to trI'm some areas and retack to get it perfect.

Anyways, I'm having fun with this and I will finish it, no one will distract me from it and negativity will not keep me down. Bullshit usually comes from envious people, so I'm flattered.

Pics!!!

Name:  IMG_20170201_142037_378_zpsfovyil6a.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  328.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20170201_142157_087_zpsabhv4prb.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  333.1 KB

Name:  20170201_123804_zpsv94sbuuj.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  297.4 KB (pretty damn spot on for first cut)

Name:  20170201_141431_zpsxrilstxo.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  320.4 KB weight reduction!!

Done for today, stay tuned!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RecklessV,

Can you step back to get a shot of the whole car as it stands ?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What made you decide to remove almost a ***** length?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjoffe
RecklessV,

Can you step back to get a shot of the whole car as it stands ?
Next time I work on it, I'll post one. I don't have much room in my garage so I usually stack sit on top of the car when I'm not working on it.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmilz28
What made you decide to remove almost a ***** length?

Lol nice way of measuring, if that were true we'd all be in movies. Honestly, I don't know why I removed 8", the section I cut off the bottom was 8" before it starting curving up, and since I didn't want to mess with lining up curves, I just cut off the straight section. Also, I'm pretty much eye balling the rendering I did, trying to keep it to scale I guess. I didn't want to take too much off either, because then it'd just look silly.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you trying to fill in the rear door area completely or are you going to try and fab a window in?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you trying to fill in the rear door area completely or are you going to try and fab a window in?
I'm going to cut the rear door, and use it to fill in the gap. It keep the bodyline, and I'm going to make a small window out of lexan, it'll be just like all other coupes with the small window.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I can see my lines right there, sleek powerful and gorgeous

Leepu and Pitbull

Built a Kim Kardashian inspired car from a Mitsu Lancer...

Right off the bat, you did your cuts wrong, they should have been like Z or N instead of striaght lines...This way you get larger weld points and the weight is distributed better in the chassis...

But who am i to rain on your parade...
Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Personally I think you should pull twice that from the rear door area, and add half back in to the front door. this is strictly from aesthetics sake. a shortened Sedan is just that. A coupe almost always has longer doors than a comparable Sedan.

I understand that doing this would be damn near impossible. custom glass, lengthening the doors, lengthening the section between A/B pillars, or moving the B pillar. Yeah. not an easy job at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Naf
I can see my lines right there, sleek powerful and gorgeous

Leepu and Pitbull

Built a Kim Kardashian inspired car from a Mitsu Lancer...

Right off the bat, you did your cuts wrong, they should have been like Z or N instead of striaght lines...This way you get larger weld points and the weight is distributed better in the chassis...

But who am i to rain on your parade...

I have shorten chassis on long bed truck and have always used the Z/N cuts... only reason I went straight down was because after its all welded, I will be adding gusset plates all around for strength. Once the B pillar is cut and moved back 4" it'll be sitting basically right on top that cut, so that will also help strength. Remember, this body is just for aesthetic purposes, the whole structural will be COMPLETELY tubular frame chassis underneath it all. This body will see little to no twisting due to the tubular frame /roll cage. It's no where near done, this is litreally the beginning stages, don't assume that it's going to be left that weak lol.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide
Personally I think you should pull twice that from the rear door area, and add half back in to the front door. this is strictly from aesthetics sake. a shortened Sedan is just that. A coupe almost always has longer doors than a comparable Sedan.

I understand that doing this would be damn near impossible. custom glass, lengthening the doors, lengthening the section between A/B pillars, or moving the B pillar. Yeah. not an easy job at all.

Lol that's exactly what I'm doing, I explaiNed it all in the first post.

I still have to cut the B pillar completely out and move it back 4" , and I'm cutting the rear door in pieces and using the Rear part of the door to fill in the gap. Then 6" of the FRONT of the rear door will be added to the original front door. All that was already done in the rendering, so that's exactly what the car will look like.

Obviously it would look stupid as a coupe with a little sedan door lol, it'll look like a cartoon car.

Also, once the front doors are extended, I won't be using glass, it'll all be done with lexan. Only the front and rear windshields will be original glass, because once I chop the top, I'll just have to literally slide the original glass down 1.5" and just build a stop for it on the bottom and a new mounting/adhesive point.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to measure the glass and contours of some other coupes. The first thing that comes to mind is the camaro. You could aim to set your door length to accommodate that glass size.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
You may want to measure the glass and contours of some other coupes. The first thing that comes to mind is the camaro. You could aim to set your door length to accommodate that glass size.
I had that same thought..Maybe even just start with a Camaro door and re-work the skin. Would be proper coupe length. But I am also talking out of my rear end.

Quick Reply: V1 + awd + 2 door = success!