Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Traction control and Rear/Front tire size difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its be awhile but I'm putting these on today I will post a pic when I'm done
Old 05-13-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

All done I will align it after the recall work is done
Old 05-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by actrite80
Well its be awhile but I'm putting these on today I will post a pic when I'm done
Those the exact tires I got too. I got 245/45/18 on front and 285/35/19 on rears. So far I love them!!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting choice of tires. What the reasoning behind getting those firehawks?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
They're garbage and they didn't do any research to discover that fact. For another $15 per tire you can get Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, which performs significantly better in the dry and the wet. Plus, it's quiet and it tends to meet expectations regarding treadwear rating.

Most people that replace their tires every 1-3 years are impressed by the same or lesser tire, due to the fact that the rubber is fresh. That's why *most* user reviews are inherently untrustworthy.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-13-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
They're garbage and they didn't do any research to discover that fact. For another $15 per tire you can get Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, which performs significantly better in the dry and the wet. Plus, it's quiet and it tends to meet expectations regarding treadwear rating.

Most people that replace their tires every 1-3 years are impressed by the same or lesser tire, due to the fact that the rubber is fresh. That's why *most* user reviews are inherently untrustworthy.
Haha yeah what he said
Old 05-13-2017, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by barrok69
They have good reviews and I've never ran them so why not and I'm not as smart as most I guess haha

​​​​​​
​​​​
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Firestones are good tires, I had great objective results on my f-body. Check the reviews on tirerack, the numbers are...statistically significant.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They have good reviews and I've never ran them so why not and I'm not as smart as most I guess haha ​​​​​​​​​​
I'm not saying you suck. I'm saying that most people don't have a valid opinion on tires, because the rate that most people consume tires and the way most people use tires makes it impossible.

Tires have a short shelf life due to things like oil evaporation, oxidation (a reaction with the air), and accelerated deterioration due to UV exposure and temperatures outside their design basis. Unless you're burning through a few sets of tires per year (or swapping between tires mounted on multiple sets of wheels), you can't really make objective comparisons because your memory of the tires is tainted by multiple factors:

Treadwear
Rubber age
Pavement conditions
Temperature differences
Changes in driving behavior

That's why it's better to rely on tests performed by Consumer Reports and Car & Driver. For what it's worth, I don't credit myself with having perspective on tires either--I don't have enough track days under my belt, and I don't go through tires fast enough. I'm on my 6th set of tires after six years of ownership (4 sets of summer tires, 2 sets of wintery all seasons).
Old 05-14-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

As drivers, we can look at a few things that are meaningful:
Mileage
Speed of wear
Evenness of wear
Cornering speeds (same corner, similar conditions)
Confidence (cornering, wet, dry, braking, etc)
Certainly, it's all got to be taken with a shaker of salt and all the caveats listed above do apply but there are indicators and demonstratives we can draw lessons from, even if they're not perfectly and scientifically objective.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

What rims did you mount these on?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Team Dynamic
Old 05-14-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
They're garbage and they didn't do any research to discover that fact. For another $15 per tire you can get Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, which performs significantly better in the dry and the wet.
"They're garbage" seems a bit harsh if you've never run them. I'm curious where you've seen good objective data comparing the two. Tire Rack considers them to be in different classes, so no direct comparison there (which is one thing I've always found annoying about their instrumented testing - I'd love to see some ultra vs max vs extreme summer tire comparisons). The older Indy 500 Wide Oval was underwhelming, but these new Indy 500s (aka Bridgestone RE003 in Australia and Asia) seem to be well regarded.

I have a set sitting in the basement on my 3/4 set of LC Veneto wheels; since the 4th wheel broke , I only got a couple/few weeks on the tires. That included a session at Watkins Glen; not much to say about that, as I was taking it pretty easy (running the street tires rather than R-comps since it was in the upper 30s first thing in the morning). I'm also going to buy a set for my Subaru, just need to paint the set of wheels they're going to go on.

While I've pretty much always stuck to the bigger "name brand" tires, I've never been one to spend big money on the top dog street tires. Just doesn't seem worth paying the extra 20-40% cost premium to get me additional performance potential that I'll never need. Pretty much any modern performance tire has high enough capabilities that extracting their full potential on the street would involve doing abundantly stupid things.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

I like the way you think haha I will see how well they perform later this summer when I do a track day at PIR

Quick Reply: Traction control and Rear/Front tire size difference?