Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What is the normal battery draw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
The total draw was 300ma, and 270ma of that was from the Onstar module.
That's the VA Class interlock with the Onstar module for precision Tomahawk targeting.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That's the VA Class interlock with the Onstar module for precision Tomahawk targeting.
Nah, these car are pre VA, it would be the 688s or the converted Ohio SSGN
Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

My last boat was MICHIGAN (SSGN 727), toting 105 Tomahawks around the Western Pacific along with a few dozen SEALs and 2 SDVs.

I wish the Onstar module would talk to TLAMs, might be useful for clearing out left lane blockers.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

My last boat was MICHIGAN (SSGN 727), toting 105 Tomahawks around the Western Pacific along with a few dozen SEALs and 2 SDVs.

I wish the Onstar module would talk to TLAMs, might be useful for clearing out left lane blockers.

USS Florida 728 SSGN, had the privilege of unloading quite a few in a mission
Good to know their is someone else here with their fish
Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My is at Lindsay now to troubleshoot something else, and I asked them to locate the parasitic draw (it would kill the battery in a day if I didn't drive it). They found 2 loads - headlight washers relay and Onstar module - creating a 300ma draw. I don't use either of those, so I told 'em to just leave those disconnected. With those disconnected, it's down to a 13ma draw.

Hindsight being 20/20, wish I had thought to pull the relays/fuses for stuff I never use, on the off chance those components were the source(s) of the parasitic draw - I could've ruled some **** out without impacting my use of the car at all.
Thanks for sharing this. It will definitely prove helpful should I run across any issues like this.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

SOLD. I'll take one red CTS-V with the TLAM Guidance Package, please.

Obviously, what I said earlier was complete gibberish but I'm guessing you know where I work. Plenty of former nukes, XOs, and COs in my engineering department. We prioritize hiring retired sailors with advanced degrees because they tend to be high intelligence, very hard working, and understand the customer.

What is the normal battery draw?-4bxqdfx.jpg
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

SSNs has been in my family for generations, though I am the first to get out and go straight for a degree, just an Aganger who went out and got his electrical degree.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Got my new alternator on today. Rockauto.com ending up refunding me my money because they were still out of stock. So I bought a brand new alternator and everything is working fine now.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Jeez, you think these cars are money pits now: Imagine how fast the bill tallies up sending a Tomahawk down on every ****** that blocks the left lane. Also make sure you're not too close when that damn thing arrives! Perhaps a Javelin would be more efficient? Dillon aero more satisfying? Just thinking out loud...
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Dillon aero more satisfying? Just thinking out loud...
Dillon or Dillion?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Dillon or Dillion?
Dillon
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Dillon
Damn. I was hoping to see some uniboob inspired aerodynamics.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SLS1
Maximum recommend draw for a car with today electronics is 0.030 amps a draw of 0.1 amps will kill a battery with in a few days.

Now when you test for an electrical draw you need to let the vehicle sit for 30-45 mins before you get a true reading. It takes about 30-45 mins for all of the electrical modules to time out a shut down completely.

No car built in the last 30-40+ years will have a 0.000 amp draw.

Here is how to test.

Hook your amp meter in line with your positive battery cable.

Make sure you have access to all of the fuse boxes, if you have to have a door open be sure to latch the door latch with a screw driver so it thinks the door is closed.

Let the car sit for 30-45 mins for all of the electrical modules to time out and power down completely.

Then start pulling fuse by fuse while watching the amp meter and looking for a drop in AMPs. Start with the interior fuse box as most interior fuse boxes are powered by a larger fuse in the Battery (under hood) fuse box.

Once you have found the fuse that is the source of the draw, then you need to find all of the items powered by that fuse. Replace all of the fuses, wait 30-45 mins, then start unplugging each item powered by that fuse until you have the source of your draw.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
Okay, so just to confirm, you are putting the probes in series with the cable and the battery? Such that battery cable <---- probe <---- DMM ----> Probe ----> Battery terminal. Also, I would use the positive side, electrons actually work backwards then what everyone thinks, the whole negative charge argument and how it should be laid out, though your value shouldnt change if the draw is there. The other problem using the negative side is that if you do have a short, the grounds can act as a float and give you a weird reading. This is all through my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

The lug on the alternator is where you connect the power wire to, sorry, but that what I call them, lugs. Take positive probe (red) to the lug, with power wire disconnected, and then the com probe (black) to the housing of the alternator. You may have to spin the alternator some, you should get OL or 0ohms. What I am trying to confirm is if you have a bad winding and it is brushing up against something it shouldn't and that could be why every time you did your test you did or didn't have a draw, although if the diode is good, the alternator shouldnt be in play period, one of the wires could either be shorting or grounding and you plugging and unplugging them can make that change. Time to do the wiggle test! Your next bet is just get another alternator and slap it on their and see what happens, if nothing changes, return it and start over.

Thank you.

My is at Lindsay now to troubleshoot something else, and I asked them to locate the parasitic draw (it would kill the battery in a day if I didn't drive it). They found 2 loads - headlight washers relay and Onstar module - creating a 300ma draw. I don't use either of those, so I told 'em to just leave those disconnected. With those disconnected, it's down to a 13ma draw.

Hindsight being 20/20, wish I had thought to pull the relays/fuses for stuff I never use, on the off chance those components were the source(s) of the parasitic draw - I could've ruled some **** out without impacting my use of the car at all.
Going outside right now. lol

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
I vote for a one wire!! Lol
Right!

Quick Reply: What is the normal battery draw?