Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Interior Protectants - 3-Way Shootout (Mothers, Blackfire, and 303 Aerospace)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Interior Protectants - 3-Way Shootout (Mothers, Blackfire, and 303 Aerospace)

Today, I found time to do a 3-way shootout between Mother's VLR, Blackfire Interior Protectant, and 303 Aerospace Protectant. I didn't take pictures because it's hard to photograph the differences. The camera angles and lighting have to be just right to pick up smudges, dryness, or greasiness that can be seen in person.

To cut to the punchline, 303 Aerospace Protectant won hands down. It's not surprising since it's had overwhelmingly positive reviews on the detailing forums, /r/detailing, and podcasts I subscribe to. For the test, I divided my dashboard into three sections and applied one product to each. Beforehand, I cleaned the dashboard with Chemical Guys InnerClean (a worthwhile cleaner) to make sure there weren't any leftover oils to mess with my results.
  1. VLR met the doctor's motto of "first do no harm." VLR wipes off leaving no trace of improvement beyond dust removal. Given that, it's probably no better than a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol (IPA), minus the drying effect. Still, I've probably burned through 5 bottles of VLR, because it provides UV protection and because, before Amazon Prime, it was easy to pick up at the store.
  2. Interior Protectant seemed like a good second option, since Blackfire's other main product--Wet Diamond sealant--is considered a cost-effective alternative to expensive sealants like Cquartz. Unfortunately, Interior Protectant was super greasy--even after wiping it down and letting it dry I was still finding streaks and uneven patches of color that had to be corrected.
  3. 303 Aerospace Protectant provided the best results with the least effort. It finished quickly with no splotches or streaks. It buffed out with a faint gloss that brought out the depth of the interior panels without leaving them greasy or wet. The protective coating appeared to be durable. After it dried, I went for a drive and gotta say--it looks nice. The only caveat is that you need to follow the instructions on the bottle--mainly, don't apply a ton and make sure to buff it before it dries. I sprayed a ton on one panel to see what would happen if I used too much. The result was a film similar to Blackfire Interior Protectant that had to be cleaned off.
Hope that helped. 303 is not a miracle worker--the doors and interior trim panels on this car suck to clean and can't compete with newer GM interiors. However, 303 will (IMHO) leave the interior looking as good as it can be. It provides a durable, moderate-low gloss finish that looks the way my car looked at the dealership. It's not greasy, it won't rub off on your hands, and based on the reviews, it provides killer UV protection. I haven't had any UV damage or degradation yet, so I can't offer any insight there.

Protip: when cleaning and conditioning the interior panels, spray your product directly on a low or medium GSM microfiber towel and scrub in circles. You're not doing any good scrubbing in straight lines due to the texture of the doors and dashboard. While lower GSM microfiber towels are better for scrubbing and cleaning, I highly recommend a super high GSM towel for the protectant pass to get into the holes and crevices in the air conditioning vents and between the buttons on the center console.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-26-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info...thanks for posting
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been using Aerospace 303 for years protecting cars interiors far older than the V. Nice write-up to further punch the fact home that Aerospace 303 is awesome.

Quick Reply: Interior Protectants - 3-Way Shootout (Mothers, Blackfire, and 303 Aerospace)