Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Want to return front end to original height...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for that info...

Good stuff - thanks.

That's what we're trying to get to. Tire not tucked under but can't see past it into wheel well either.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I have a stock set I would part with if you like. located in PA. Let me know. Shawn
Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Default Spacers

Originally Posted by BudRacing
All OEM V1 rear shocks are self leveling "Nivomat" by Sachs.

The rear stacked shock spacers are to counter their self leveling effect to match up with the lowering spring.

I have the H&R springs too and made a 3/8" donut spacer out of a sheet of stiff rubber stock from McMaster Carr and some hole saws. I don't recall what the actual lift was, but it brought my tires even with the fender rather than tucked. I also used the same type of spacers under the rear coil springs.
I'm trying to find spacers for my self leveling shocks. I have eibach springs. Does anybody know where to get the spacers?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlt4
I'm trying to find spacers for my self leveling shocks. I have eibach springs. Does anybody know where to get the spacers?
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ering-solution
Old 09-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

Bought some stock FE4 springs. Might get them installed next week-end. Man those things look beefy.

Thanks all for your info, counsel and offer to sell us your parts.

Last edited by WoodyFromBama; 09-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

@BudRacing

Just looking at the McMaster Carr selections. Do you remember which hardness spec you chose?

You mounted the front at the top where the strut mates to the underside of the shock tower? And the rear underneath the rear spring?

Perchance, any pictures?

Last edited by WoodyFromBama; 09-09-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't have any pictures of my own and the original pictures have been held hostage by photobucket, so sadly, I'm not sure of any to point you to.
These two threads should provide some further context.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-lowering.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...od-thread.html

This was the material I used, although at the time I had a connection that got employee pricing on it which was $10.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#8610k87/=rh7u0r

For the front springs I placed the spacer I cut under the stock coil spring isolator (rubber cradle at the base of the spring). You have the advantage of the shocks and spring being off the car already so you can slip the donut spacer you make over the top, then slide the stock isolator over it, then spring, cap, etc.

However, if you're using the stock springs then there's no need for this spacer. That's only if you were to keep the drop springs for their higher spring rate.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. That's all very helpful. I'm sitting here with a set of just-purchased FE4 springs and everyone, myself included, loves the current lowered look so much we're exploring alternatives. I think we're gonna try raising the current H&Rs instead of replacing them.

Do you know if lowering/spacer ratio is supposed to be 1:1 in order to stay in the correct self-leveling range for the FE2 shocks? Another words, if I lift the current springs a certain distance will I need to remove the corresponding height from the lowering spacers?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the spacer kit for the rear - that is what I did with the MM kit. It raised the shock up far more than the ~1.25" I lowered it, so I removed the tall spacers in the kit and replaced with washers. It is still probably raised more than I lowered the car, yet it seems to handle better now that the shock isn't in such an extended position.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WoodyFromBama
Thanks. That's all very helpful. I'm sitting here with a set of just-purchased FE4 springs and everyone, myself included, loves the current lowered look so much we're exploring alternatives. I think we're gonna try raising the current H&Rs instead of replacing them.

Do you know if lowering/spacer ratio is supposed to be 1:1 in order to stay in the correct self-leveling range for the FE2 shocks? Another words, if I lift the current springs a certain distance will I need to remove the corresponding height from the lowering spacers?
I don't know the ratio as I was just going for approximates, but maybe someone running adjustable coilovers could speak better to that. Because of the angles, I would say that an adjustment along the spring would lead to a greater increase of ride height.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody got access to a front shock for measuring the barrel diameter? I'm gonna make a spacer to put between the spring perch and the spring isolator. Or just measure a front bottom isolator would work too -- just need ID and OD.

Last edited by WoodyFromBama; 09-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WoodyFromBama
Anybody got access to a front shock for measuring the barrel diameter? I'm gonna make a spacer to put between the spring perch and the spring isolator. Or just measure a front bottom isolator would work too -- just need ID and OD.
Rock Auto shows 49mm for the shock body diameter.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

H&R will pretty much make any spring you want ,, you could just scale the rig and send the weights to H&R and tell them you want it to not bottom out, they do make progressives as well, both are not that bad of pricing as I recall. AND H&R/US is in Seattle isn't it?Used to pick up stuff form them years ago when I'd go up to run at SIR.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks both of you.

I thought I looked at Rock Auto (CADILLAC/2006/CTS/6.0L V8/Suspension/Strut). Re-looking after your note I found the dimensions under "shock" instead. I don't mean to be as lazy as it sometimes might seem -- just not as skilled as I need to be in constructing effective searches. But I'm working on it.

I didn't know H&R was here in Seattle (actually up near the Canadian border in Bellingham). Thanks for that tidbit. I'll contact them and see what they suggest for getting this particular installation "de-lowered" a little bit.

Last edited by WoodyFromBama; 09-11-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

@BudRacing...

I was just looking at the following spacers at O'Reilly's. It looks like they just go under the bottom coil -- between the spring and the isolator -- but I haven't found anything that talks about actual installation. Plus they only give a dimension for the coil wire (5/8") and not the coil itself so I don't know how anyone would ever know whether it would fit their particular coil spring or not.

At any rate, the reason I'm posting this is because it included the following tidbit of info...

"front vehicle height will usually be raised 2-1/2 to 3 times spacer thickness. On rear coil spring systems the vehicle height will usually be raised 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 times spacer thickness"

So it looks like your 3/8" donut spacers should have given you about a 1" lift in front and probably around 1/2" in the rear. Is that what you got?

5/8" Aluminum Coil Spacer
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

That's a universal statement that varies wildly in accuracy. I don't think I got anywhere near an inch out of the front spacer. Maybe 3/4" max, but probably more like 1/2 to 5/8".
Old 09-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Question

I think my H&R springs may be bad - hence lowering the car 2.25" instead of the target 1.2"-1.5".

Here is a picture with the car jacked up and the wheel hub just hanging -- not supported at all. Take a look at the top 4 rings of the spring -- they might as well be a solid piece for all the spring action I'll get from them. Raising the bottom of the springs 3/8", or even 1/2" is not gonna make much difference.

Does anyone else with H&R lowering springs have a similar picture for comparison?

H&R Sport Lowering Spring (LF)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't see your wheel hub so can't tell. Check the numbers on the spring and make sure they're the right parts, and that front and rear are not swapped. Should not be lowered that much, and springs generally don't fail unless you see an obvious break.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Correct H&R p/n and position on car...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't see anything wrong with the spring or install itself. The main complaint about the H&Rs (and Eibachs) was that they lowered the car more than stated. The spacing of the coils at the top is just the design of progressive springs as opposed to linear. As the spring compresses, the spring rate increases. This allows for ride comfort during light loads and cruising and also allows for firmer compression under heavy loads and cornering.

The 3/8" spacer won't bring it up an inch, but it put me where I wanted to be. So, I'll consider that a win.

Quick Reply: Want to return front end to original height...