Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

GEN1V Diff Brace!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who wants to be the first to try and blow a diff to test the limits of this thing? This is very interesting to me as the cost of an 8.8 has halted any further power gains on mine...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another concern with the factory diff is the whine that comes with it after its been beat on a little. Wonder if the whine is a result of housing distortion, bearing wear or gear fatigue?

In other words, wonder if the brace will help keep gear whine at bay?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianB3223
So who wants to be the first to try and blow a diff to test the limits of this thing? This is very interesting to me as the cost of an 8.8 has halted any further power gains on mine...
I'm shooting for an October 9th ship date on the first set! They are going to powder coat tomorrow. Also Stage 2 is so close to field testing I can't wait! Just a few more weeks.

Originally Posted by ls1247
another concern with the factory diff is the whine that comes with it after its been beat on a little. Wonder if the whine is a result of housing distortion, bearing wear or gear fatigue?

In other words, wonder if the brace will help keep gear whine at bay?
I've always believed it to be case deflection. Only because some guys run with diff whine for tens of thousands of miles, and I don't think damaged bearings would last that long.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some factory diffs whined from the factory. My Gen IV diff was loud any time it warmed up.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I'm shooting for an October 9th ship date on the first set! They are going to powder coat tomorrow. Also Stage 2 is so close to field testing I can't wait! Just a few more weeks.
Hmmmm, so my supercharger plans are about a year out, sounds like maybe I should wait for the stage 2 design? Right out of the gate I'm looking at about 500whp hoping to get to about 550-575 at final build(if there is such a thing). I baby this car to death. No burnout, clutch dumping etc. Only time it sees full throttle is 3rd gear and up. I think this diff brace will hold 500whp ya? Of course it's all relative and no guarantees but the evidence would suggest a good chance right?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Hi. Stage 2 is still a prototype, but if successful will be an upgrade if you're willing to drop the cradle and do some light welding, or can have somebody do that part for you. I'd 100% recommend if you're going that route to upgrade cradle mounts while it's out, those make a HUGE difference. At that HP I think you're good either way (stg 1 or 2), it's your choice!

Mark
Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

FYI, I have units in inventory now, PM me if you're interested!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I got mine last week but have been away for military work. I want to get this thing on so bad!!!! Will update everyone soon.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Teching In

After watching that video, how could a person NOT want one of these braces!
WELL done.
Outstanding work, Mark.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
I got mine last week but have been away for military work. I want to get this thing on so bad!!!! Will update everyone soon.
I'm glad you got it! Hey did you used to make shifters back in the day? Somebody on Facebook asked.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes I did. It was the poor mans shifter mod. Is there a problem?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, he just saw your name on a post and asked. He said he'd always wondered where the shifter came from since it was on the car when he bought it, maybe you had your user name on it?

Originally Posted by IsItFridayYet?
After watching that video, how could a person NOT want one of these braces!
WELL done.
Outstanding work, Mark.
Thank you sir!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

OK, lots of guys asking for a DIY 'you weld it' kit. If we can get at least 5 orders placed I can do that for $475 shipped. That includes all the fasteners, cut plates, formed tubing... all ready to be welded up and sprayed rattle can red, powder coated or whatever you want to do. Instant message me if you want in. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Default Finally installed

I bought my 2004 cts v and the rear end started to whine within the first 200 miles because I like to launch it and I’m not easy on it. The car from day one has had terrible wheel hop and I’ve continued to buy parts in hopes of eliminating the wheel hop. Here is a list of things I’ve done but after every modification I’ve been disappointed that the wheel hop was reduced but not eliminated. The first and easiest modification was a bmr pinion brace which if you’re on a budget it’s a great thing to put on your car and it provides a noticeable difference(I had to ditch it to install this kit). The next thing I did was install polyurethane cradle bushings, diff bushings, trailing arm bushings and I upgraded to the driveshaft shops lowest price axle shafts. This also helped but I still had wheel hop and my rear diff was whining so bad I felt it was going to explode any second. I bought this kit and a gen 4 diff with 3.91 gears at the same time, during install I discover my cv was bad on my driveshaft. So I finally got my driveshaft taken care of and installed the diff, this kit, and the driveshaft. This thing rocks it launches now with zero wheel hop and I am very pleased with the results. I feel a difference in cornering and stability. I would have to say at this point it is my single most favorite modification that I’ve done to the car because as a result of installing it I am now wheel hop free. For anyone considering it the 3.91 rear out of the srx came with limited slip and the car pulls harder in every gear. Again I’m extremely pleased and I feel this is the best modification on the market for those of us trying not to swap in a ford 8.8.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Default Finally installed

I bought my 2004 cts v and the rear end started to whine within the first 200 miles because I like to launch it and I’m not easy on it. The car from day one has had terrible wheel hop and I’ve continued to buy parts in hopes of eliminating the wheel hop. Here is a list of things I’ve done but after every modification I’ve been disappointed that the wheel hop was reduced but not eliminated. The first and easiest modification was a bmr pinion brace which if you’re on a budget it’s a great thing to put on your car and it provides a noticeable difference(I had to ditch it to install this kit). The next thing I did was install polyurethane cradle bushings, diff bushings, trailing arm bushings and I upgraded to the driveshaft shops lowest price axle shafts. This also helped but I still had wheel hop and my rear diff was whining so bad I felt it was going to explode any second. I bought this kit and a gen 4 diff with 3.91 gears at the same time, during install I discover my cv was bad on my driveshaft. So I finally got my driveshaft taken care of and installed the diff, this kit, and the driveshaft. This thing rocks it launches now with zero wheel hop and I am very pleased with the results. I feel a difference in cornering and stability. I would have to say at this point it is my single most favorite modification that I’ve done to the car because as a result of installing it I am now wheel hop free. For anyone considering it the 3.91 rear out of the srx came with limited slip and the car pulls harder in every gear. Again I’m extremely pleased and I feel this is the best modification on the market for those of us trying not to swap in a ford 8.8.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Keep in mind, you can't actually say this one mod was your favorite mod as you can't really distinguish between the 3 you did simultaneously: new/tighter rear with a better ratio, the brace kit, and a new DS when the old one was bad. I'm certain at the age of these cars and the good engineering in this kit, all 3 added meaningful benefit but you can't know for certain unless you'd done them one at a time. That's the only way to truly know...but WTF has time for that? Glad you got it feeling good, that's a feat for this car, regardless. Also glad it came out good, had it not, you'd be back to pulling one at a time to sort it out. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe he should build one for the 8.8 too.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

It would be really nice if someone would cut a decent sixty foot and see if this thing lives.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone pulled off anything really aggressive? a burnout report was all i found, but on that note did it do anything for wheel hop? i get its not what its designed for but curious if it had any affect.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

I'm glad you like it Billy! When do we get a launch video?

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Keep in mind, you can't actually say this one mod was your favorite mod as you can't really distinguish between the 3 you did simultaneously: new/tighter rear with a better ratio, the brace kit, and a new DS when the old one was bad. I'm certain at the age of these cars and the good engineering in this kit, all 3 added meaningful benefit but you can't know for certain unless you'd done them one at a time. That's the only way to truly know...but WTF has time for that? Glad you got it feeling good, that's a feat for this car, regardless. Also glad it came out good, had it not, you'd be back to pulling one at a time to sort it out. Thanks for sharing!!
Oh come on now, be at least a little happy for the guy. In his quest to kill wheel hop this dude blew two diffs and a driveshaft. He finally nailed the combo that is working for him! To be fair, replacing a whining diff and driveshaft CV aren't 'mods', and I think it's fair to say neither were causing his wheel hop issues. Maybe some of the change in the feeling of cornering stability but not wheel hop.

Originally Posted by Doble
Maybe he should build one for the 8.8 too.
I've heard several people say something similar to this. What is going on that the 8.8 needs this? Other than axles breaking I'm not hearing much from that crowd.

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
has anyone pulled off anything really aggressive? a burnout report was all i found, but on that note did it do anything for wheel hop? i get its not what its designed for but curious if it had any affect.
See Billy's (bjjcgj) post above. He's been launching the hell out of his and is happy and it was the final mod that killed his wheel hop.

Quick Reply: GEN1V Diff Brace!