Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2005 CTS V Build (HELP NEEDED)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2005 CTS V Build (HELP NEEDED)

Need some help folks...

After a year and a half I'm trying to wrap up my 2005 CTS v build. Was hoping to be done well before now but life always seems to get in the way.

Anyway, on Sunday I buttoned everything up and went to turn it over (coils disconnected) to verify oil pressure. NOTE: I had already pre-oiled it through the oil galley. Anyway, after a couple of revolutions I lost complete power to everything. After scratching my head for a second, I disconnected the negative battery cable and reconnected it after a few seconds and to my surprise I had power again. I thought maybe having the coils disconnected was triggering something so I reconnected them and tried again. This time immediately after I turned the key I lost power to everything yet again.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery gives me power back but this issue repeats every time.

So far I've checked my grounds using a multi meter as well as power to the alternator. Interesting finding thus far is the following.. If I put the common connection on the multi meter to the negative terminal on the battery and the positive on the block my voltages check out but only when I have no power to anything. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect so that I have power my multi meter shows a big fat ZERO.

I'm baffled.....

So my next steps are to check my connections to the starter and alternator. During the build I replaced the starter connection (it had heat damage) and the pigtail on the alternator (it was in bad shape). It is the connection on the upper right if your facing the alternator.

Any ideas.... Lord knows I need all the help I can get at this point.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are losing the ground to the block.

It is right above the starter motor.

It might be broken or loose.

Quick Reply: 2005 CTS V Build (HELP NEEDED)