Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Different readings fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different readings fuel gauge

Sometimes it stays at maximum, the first 100km no reaction and then fallen in a hurry and then, maybe fallen 2 lines, started the next day one higher, when can cause this, a vacuum in tank maybe, incorrect tank vent valve?

Greetz
Ron
Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine does that sort of ****, too, and it seems to have gotten worse over the years. I rely on the "Fuel Used" indication on the nav screen because the fuel gauge doesn't seem to correspond to reality unless it's full, or near empty. I suppose on the bright side, it does indicate properly once the fuel level gets low, so I don't have to worry about running out of gas unexpectedly.

Some folks had the fuel sender replaced (on their own dime) when they put their car in for the fuel pump wiring recall. I'm kind of wishing I had done that, too.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Mine does that sort of ****, too, and it seems to have gotten worse over the years. I rely on the "Fuel Used" indication on the nav screen because the fuel gauge doesn't seem to correspond to reality unless it's full, or near empty. I suppose on the bright side, it does indicate properly once the fuel level gets low, so I don't have to worry about running out of gas unexpectedly.

Some folks had the fuel sender replaced (on their own dime) when they put their car in for the fuel pump wiring recall. I'm kind of wishing I had done that, too.
I had the fuel sending unit replacement recall done. It made no difference to the gauge. It's still full forever, then drops like a rock. I just know that when my gauge reads half, it's time to start looking for the fuel station because I don't have much time left.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has run out of gas on me twice. Low fuel warning popped up just after it died. It didn't do that before.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also always relied on the Fuel Used indicator, as that the only one which seems to be accurate.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I see 1/4 tank I start looking for a gas station.

Usually less then 2 gallons left.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird thing, fuel pump recall is done, but never heard about changing the sender too while they are in there?!

Yes, me too, 2 times stranded beside on Autobahn short after the message pops up fuel low, cant be so much difficult in the 21th century to have a still working reader/sender on board, sounds like a issue of the '70's...

ok, so i hab to live with, like million of other things too on this car...

Greetz
Ron
Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
ok, so i hab to live with, like million of other things too on this car...
Death by 1000 paper cuts.

Knock on wood, but this is one issue I seem to not have.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

My sender was replaced as part of the recall. Gauge worked fine before and after...but I am sure something will break soon.

Quick Reply: Different readings fuel gauge