Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

If you live in Calif

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 277 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Wasn't aware of that, I learned something new today. Ok, how about….a guy piggybacks a Holley, or whatever aftermarket ECM to his car. Aftermarket ECM runs the engine, and the Oem ECM is just thereto make the BCM happy and run gauges, etc. This is actually pretty common practice, btw.
Guy plugs into factory port, sees factory settings, and you ride off into the sunset. Thoughts?

I've thought about this as well. I have a 21 3500hd 6.6 gas. And want to add a TVS blower on it. Not for Cali reasons, but due to lack of tuning options on a encrypted ECM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
I'd sell my ****, and leave cali. Housing market is crazy you could prolly leave and get twice as size home some where else for 1/2 the price. With a side bonus of not living under a dictator........
This is the plan, has been for a while but this enforcement just expedited the process.

We already had work arounds but this state is a **** show and has been. The hardest part has been trying to find a state with weather I'm willing to deal with that also has no risk of having Californian transplants that voted for this type of ****.

It's sad that our hobby is dying more and more year by year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingc8r:
01CamaroSSTx (07-21-2021), Kjduvall (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
"Locked" means it is locked from editing, not from being queried.
Not true. You can lock a tune to where it's not visible. Shady tuning companies do it, including 1 on here.
The following users liked this post:
Kingc8r (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:57 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Not true. You can lock a tune to where it's not visible. Shady tuning companies do it, including 1 on here.
Theres a shop local to me that locks their tunes and from what I’m “told”, other tuners can’t even take a look to see what’s going on. Makes for a pretty doggone good pissing match around these parts. That’s why I suggested the piggyback setup and a GM ECM maybe getting you around the new commie regulations being enforced out there. I’m just spitballing really…prolly either get you a fine or prison. 😂
Old 07-20-2021, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 67_ls1
My guess is the market will migrate to a system like Hondata where (I believe) the tune remains in the OBDII connector. Unplug the connector, back to stock.
If you can find a seller.

Brent over at PFI Speed is fighting the EPA after they fined him $18,000 for selling Hondata. The fine could have been $180,000 for selling 37 modules but they gave him a break. He's out of Colorado but he's dealing with the feds so his *** is on the line! If he loses he'll probably have to pay the full fine, court and lawyer costs.

He gets pretty emotional in the video

Old 07-21-2021, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

So far most of the people getting nailed by this are actively on social media promoting things like removing emissions control systems actively.

The diesel bros were the first I'm aware of that got nailed, and they were basically every single video talking about removing def systems, cats, rolling coal and other stupidity that permiates the diesel community and because popular. They absolutely deserved what they got from the EPA.

Selling a hondata or tuning device seems like something that shouldn't be an issue. I believe the EPA needs to be brought to heel and a common sense middle ground needs to be found.

I believe that there is plenty of power that can be made with cats and emissions gear installed, my car passes euro emissions standards here in Abu Dhabi just fine with cam/heads/long tubes and high flow cats.

It sucks, but how many times do you go into a forum and the first power nod is people talking about gutting cats or removing them? And you wonder why the EPA takes an offensive position on this and other methods of defeat.

VW was not alone in their trickery btw, most German companies do it as do several japanese companies outside the US.

I also believe that if people knew how effective a cat converter and other emissions controls actually were at reducing pollutants, they would never remove them in the first place.

That extra 5 HP isn't worth the headache, let alone the future damages to the environment. One or two people doing it realistically won't hurt anything. However when entire communities begin doing it, it all adds up.

I ran mine uncatted for a year until I could afford to cat my system again. I bought the car that way, and when I added long tubes, the first thing I did was add cats at the same time.

Hopefully the industry comes together and fights this stupidity on all fronts, both with the customer base and the EPA. We have to pay fees and extra inspections on this side of the pond to register our modified cars. They have to be inspected for safety, emissions and quality of work in general.

You guys have had it super easy. It sucks, but you still have it better than most countries do.

-Byron
The following 3 users liked this post by Byron:
67_ls1 (07-21-2021), Fuzzy_Wuzzy (07-23-2021), Rich-L79 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Theres a shop local to me that locks their tunes and from what I’m “told”, other tuners can’t even take a look to see what’s going on. Makes for a pretty doggone good pissing match around these parts. That’s why I suggested the piggyback setup and a GM ECM maybe getting you around the new commie regulations being enforced out there. I’m just spitballing really…prolly either get you a fine or prison. 😂
There's a very well known company in the LS world that does the same. It's all under the guise of "protecting their tunes"....bunch of crap.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went on summitracing.com and did a search for “CARB EO” and got more than 2000+ hits. Headers, carbs, camshafts, cold air kits, super chargers, cats, cat backs, computer chips and modules, complete engines, you name it. Jegs had over 1300 hits for the same search.
There is a company called diablosport.com that is advertising CARB compliant tunes with CARB EO numbers.
All legal for street use on emission controlled vehicles in California.

Last edited by 67_ls1; 07-21-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted this on another forum:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...red/ar-AAMkKoO
Old 07-21-2021, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
There's a very well known company in the LS world that does the same. It's all under the guise of "protecting their tunes"....bunch of crap.
We all know the truth... it's a CYA move to avoid responsibility, criticism of shoddy work or the lack thereof (work).
Old 07-21-2021, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 474 Likes on 327 Posts

You guys/gals realize they have been doing this since they changed the Smog program a few years back?

All they are doing is taking a snap shot of the the Vin Number, the Calibration ID number, and the CVN number as well as verifying the monitors a set to ready and that there is no Current Check engine light codes. They also check that there is an RPM signal while the car is hooked to the OBD port.

Any time a shop or the Tech gets popped for something, they review all the cars that went through and verify the calibrations are correct.

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-08-2022)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
I'd sell my ****, and leave cali. Housing market is crazy you could prolly leave and get twice as size home some where else for 1/2 the price. With a side bonus of not living under a dictator........
That's what I did. Fk CA. Sold my house for almost twice what I bought it for and got nearly 4x the house and like 50x the property for less money and lower property taxes. ****, lower cost everything.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TST_brah
That's what I did. Fk CA. Sold my house for almost twice what I bought it for and got nearly 4x the house and like 50x the property for less money and lower property taxes. ****, lower cost everything.
My house is worth 20+ times what I paid for it and my property taxes are 0.002%. You read that right, 0.002%.
Where can I move that has lower property taxes than that?
Snow skiing in Tahoe in 3 hours. Surfing in the Pacific Ocean in one hour. At our boat in the delta in 40 minutes. Three international airports with an hour.
To each his own.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My house is worth 20+ times what I paid for it and my property taxes are 0.002%. You read that right, 0.002%.
Snow skiing in Tahoe in 3 hours. Surfing in the Pacific Ocean in one hour. At our boat in the delta in 40 minutes. Three international airports with an hour.
To each his own.
That's cool man, sounds like you're in a good place. I was in the 661, LA county, total shithole. Can support my family on one income now and put my kids in private school. I can buy whatever gun with no waiting (aside from NFA items which I can actually have here), walk out my patio door and shoot in my back yard, naked. Farm and hunt on my own property, no rolling blackouts, no permitting for anything, and can actually afford to go on vacations now to the ocean or mountains. It's a pretty solid exchange.
The following 5 users liked this post by TST_brah:
67_ls1 (07-21-2021), heavymetals (07-22-2021), jmilz28 (07-28-2021), Kjduvall (07-22-2021), SLOW SEDAN (08-02-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TST_brah
That's cool man, sounds like you're in a good place. I was in the 661, LA county, total shithole. Can support my family on one income now and put my kids in private school. I can buy whatever gun with no waiting (aside from NFA items which I can actually have here), walk out my patio door and shoot in my back yard, naked. Farm and hunt on my own property, no rolling blackouts, no permitting for anything, and can actually afford to go on vacations now to the ocean or mountains. It's a pretty solid exchange.
I've found the people who got in when it was good in California don't mind it here since they aren't paying through the roof for housing and prop taxes. Us younger people are the ones who hate it here, at least my group of friends.

Everything you listed trumps what little California has to offer anymore. Most of the scenic areas are over crowded and take too long to get to due to traffic. I don't blame you one bit for leaving this place, I know it will be hard leaving here because it's all I've ever known but I've grown tired of the rat race and being taxed to death for **** roads and for policies I don't believe in.

As someone alluded to earlier this has been in place for a while but seems they're ramping up on it. I had a buddy who was visited by CARB officials because the smog shop he used got busted for helping hot rodders out.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't even live in CA and I'm tempted to find some O2 simulators rather than tune them out... hmm...
Old 08-02-2021, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To each his own.
I'm sure there are a lot of advantages to living there and those are some... so many downsides too though.

I wish I were nearer mountains.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

To each his own.
You must have some exemption because Contra Costa county is listed at .85% But outside of personal property tax, factor in your 8.75% sales tax, state income tax that is 2-3x other states, homeowners insurance rates, etc.. plus didn't they just take away your bacon
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
You must have some exemption because Contra Costa county is listed at .85% But outside of personal property tax, factor in your 8.75% sales tax, state income tax that is 2-3x other states, homeowners insurance rates, etc.. plus didn't they just take away your bacon
Its not an exemption, it’s prop 13. It limits annual tax increases. I’ve lived in my house for 39 years so my taxes are low. My new neighbors taxes are based on his purchase price so are way higher for a similar (but smaller) house.
Yeah, other taxes are high. Sales tax in my county is actually 9.75%. State income taxes are high at a max of 13% but I’m no where near that level.
So yes, our taxes are higher. But since California has embraced the Affordable Care Act, my health care is $1 per month until I’m 65 when I have to go to Medicare. I get to write off up to $10k of my state and local taxes off my fed return so all in all, I’m not complaining.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 474 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
No They didn't take it away, They just charge a new tax or whatever for hurting its feelings even though it grown specifically for food purposes.

Quick Reply: If you live in Calif