Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Time for an intake manifold...which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time for an intake manifold...which one?

Cross posted over in the Gen III section but for the V crew specifically:

I was set on the FAST 92 but now that I'm ready to buy one I'm not sure. Looking at the following:
FAST 92
FAST102
TSP sheet metal w CNC runners
BTR Trinity

I have an LS2 DBW TB that I got off a buddy for cheap, wanted to try to avoid having to buy another one if possible as the 102s are a little pricey but would get one if necessary. Rest of my mods in sig. I don't plan on ever boosting the car but if the oil ever gets glittery would rebuild and bump the comp.

Goal is mid range power, I don't track the car just beat it on the way to work and gym mostly. Haven't had it on a dyno yet, running on a Pat G tune, but I'd be happy with 400+ rwhp when I take it after this mod.

So what suggestions do y'all have for my situation? TIA.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

About 5 years ago I was looking into possibly getting my existing FAST92 ported. I exchanged PMs with "99 Black Bird T/A", as I'd seen his activity in a number of threads around here. He seems to really dig deep into this stuff and tests different combos. I also talked a couple times with Tony Mamo. Mamo was suggesting that I go with a FAST102 instead of porting my existing manifold - basically, he was saying that once I sold off my 92 and LS2 TB, and bought a 102 from him (he had a group buy deal going), I would only be out a few hundreds bucks or something like that. But 99 Black Bird T/A said that, in his experience (and he's fiddled around with this stuff a lot), the 102 can be tough to tune on a stock displacement LS6. He had actually taken a FAST102 off one of this engines because he hadn't been able to get the tune right (but a 102 was working great on a 416 he was running in a different car). Perhaps in the 5 years since, the tuners of the world have figured out how to work with the 102 and it wouldn't be as much of an issue. And I don't remember what sort of power gains were expected had I gone with the 102 vs ported 92 vs unported 92.

In the end, I decided to stick with the FAST92 I already had. Honestly, I think a large part of my decision was that I thought it was going to take too long to gather the parts and/or get the porting done.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TST_brah
Cross posted over in the Gen III section but for the V crew specifically:

I was set on the FAST 92 but now that I'm ready to buy one I'm not sure. Looking at the following:
FAST 92
FAST102
TSP sheet metal w CNC runners
BTR Trinity

I have an LS2 DBW TB that I got off a buddy for cheap, wanted to try to avoid having to buy another one if possible as the 102s are a little pricey but would get one if necessary. Rest of my mods in sig. I don't plan on ever boosting the car but if the oil ever gets glittery would rebuild and bump the comp.

Goal is mid range power, I don't track the car just beat it on the way to work and gym mostly. Haven't had it on a dyno yet, running on a Pat G tune, but I'd be happy with 400+ rwhp when I take it after this mod.

So what suggestions do y'all have for my situation? TIA.
Assuming this is a Gen 1 CTSV (a heavy hotrod) you only really have two logical choices.....a FAST 92 or a FAST 102 as anything else will obliterate the torque under 5000 RPM and make the car feel 400 lbs heavier

TSP......Trinity....ANY short runner intake is a complete loser on that application. You need the runner length to build torque off the bottom

My money is on the ported FAST 102.....its a much better engineered intake from the point of actual construction design and it will make 5 - 7 more ponies than a ported 92 all else being equal

Its also the same price but it requires a different fuel rail so there is that.

Either one of those is the way to go.....if you don't mind buying the new rail I would go with the 102.....its just a better intake all around

And to be honest Im not sure if you even have to buy a rail with the V platform but worst case with the new rail and hardware that adds a few hundred bucks

Porting is also a must as you double the gains from the swap for a fraction of the total cost

Hope this helps

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
The following users liked this post:
TST_brah (09-05-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few guys running 102’s on the ls6. I have been thinking about the fast 102 truck intake for more low end.

Quick Reply: Time for an intake manifold...which one?