Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

6K trip; a brief note

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6K trip; a brief note

Just returned from a six thousand mile (+) trip to the mid-west for the Corvette Birthday Bash (where we served as plant tour guides again), and to visit our children and friends in several states. The V ran well and was a great highway car (although not as confortable as the C5 on 700 mile days). No problems; got 23 mpg driving mostly 80-85 on the interstates and carrying half the house of misc. cast-offs for the kids; burned about a pint of oil; no stone chips (clear bra); killed three zillion bugs! Loved it.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Just returned from a six thousand mile (+) trip to the mid-west for the Corvette Birthday Bash (where we served as plant tour guides again), and to visit our children and friends in several states. The V ran well and was a great highway car (although not as confortable as the C5 on 700 mile days). No problems; got 23 mpg driving mostly 80-85 on the interstates and carrying half the house of misc. cast-offs for the kids; burned about a pint of oil; no stone chips (clear bra); killed three zillion bugs! Loved it.
Out of curiousity - how much of the tires did you burn up? Are (were) they the original F-1's? I'm thinking about also going cross-country with my "V", but I'd hate to need a new set of tires when I get back!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

We now have just over 8K miles on the car (and tires). The tires look fine; some wear, as you might expect, but many miles left. I drive the car fairly aggressively, but I do not abuse it. As a performance driving school veteran, I know that fast, smooth, and consistant is better than adolescent rubber scrubbing.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Amen, I'm with you - I 'm still trying to figure out why so many "V" owners are upset that they can't get long, smokey burn-outs. Why, in God's name, with tires that cost $335.00 apiece would you want to melt them that way? Not to mention what it does to the tranny and rear end!

That said, I don't do smokey burnouts but do drive relatively aggressively. My tires are wearing evenly, and, at 6,000 miles have been rotated 3 times - tire pressures are kept at 33 psi cold. Try as I may, I may get 8 - 9K miles safely out of them, but no more. My point is the F-1's do not wear well, period!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

I also just completed a long trip - 7k miles. It was Coast to Coast. Tried premium and 87 octane fuel. Always drove 5mph over speed limits and most was on freeways. My mileage varied from 25 mpg to 22.8 mpg. I cannot conclulsively say that there is a material difference in fuel economy between premium and 87 octane. Whatever difference, it is small. My guess is that 87 octane produces slightly greater gas mileage, on the order of less than 1 mpg. The only way to accurately tell would be under lab conditions where you could switch fuel grades while driving the same road.
As for tires, mine will just make 15K. I don't do burnouts, and drive moderately with daily squirts onto freeway ramps, etc. It is readily apparent that the rear tires wear at a much greater rate due to acceleration - much like motorcycle tires.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NICKYV
tire pressures are kept at 33 psi cold. Try as I may, I may get 8 - 9K miles safely out of them, but no more. My point is the F-1's do not wear well, period!
I try to keep my psi about the same os you (32 - 33 lbs. cold). You are correct about the F-1 tires; soft compound for grip is nice but it won't last the way I would like. I'm going to watch here, and on the corvetteforum, to see which tires have a higher tread rating ans still perform well.