Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V with ATI ProCharger D-1SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to determine if your belt is slipping by using a timing light. It works best if it is dark and the timing light is the only light source.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rey Kirkman
You might be able to determine if your belt is slipping by using a timing light. It works best if it is dark and the timing light is the only light source.
Wow, thanks. Never thought about that.

Mark
Old 11-13-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

rev kirkman, thats an interesting approach. Gonna keep that in mind....

the thing is, this is on a 8-rib, cog belt drive.correct. Your only suppose to be running6 to 8lbs. There is something that is reactig is threshold at 6lbs and holding back.

I can wager right now that when thsi is cleared up, were are al gonna take our hands of the keyboard and simultaniously smack ourselves around the forehead on this one....

Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by markbinkc
Thanks. It's got me kinda confused as well, but the car is back in able hands, and I'm sure it will take them all of 30 minutes to find out what I've been poring over for 2+ weeks. Just minor growing pains, I guess. I'll keep you updated.

Mark
I hope it's that easy. It's 3:00 AM and I'm wide awake, probably due in anticipation to a certain grat looking CTS-V that is coming my way. Something tells me this is going to be one loong day! Talk to you soon, Mark. Bob
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I hope it's that easy. It's 3:00 AM and I'm wide awake, probably due in anticipation to a certain grat looking CTS-V that is coming my way. Something tells me this is going to be one loong day! Talk to you soon, Mark. Bob
Oh, I'm not worried. I just hope that the fix isn't so easy you guys think I'm a dumb sh*t. Looking forward to finding out myself, but looking more forward to seeing what kind of horsepower and boost this 4.25in pulley is going to produce .

Mark
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Hi Mark, Chip found that a bolt on the block was the cause of the accessory belt to lose a rib, he shortened the bolt, and installed a new belt.
Chip extended the one hose to the blower inlet, and we found the blower belt was really loose. We'll see what kind of boost the 4.25" pulley will make in the morning. I like the details you added to your engine, it looks great! Bob
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Mark, Chip found that a bolt on the block was the cause of the accessory belt to lose a rib, he shortened the bolt, and installed a new belt.
Chip extended the one hose to the blower inlet, and we found the blower belt was really loose. We'll see what kind of boost the 4.25" pulley will make in the morning. I like the details you added to your engine, it looks great! Bob
Hey, that's great. 2 of 3 problems solved, and hopefully 3 of 3. Be interested to see if these things fix the boost problem. Thanks for the info, Bob!

Mark
Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, good luck!! I think you got it.....
Old 11-15-2005, 05:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I'm thinking the loose belt will take care of the low boost problem, as Chip said it was really loose. We'll see, and if it does you'll be making even more power with the 4.25" pulley that is now installed. Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking the loose belt will take care of the low boost problem, as Chip said it was really loose. We'll see, and if it does you'll be making even more power with the 4.25" pulley that is now installed. Bob
Not being a pessimist, but it was the same belt that was on the 4.5in pulley, when I was still getting 6#. That was the belt that you saw Chip putting on when I first left with the car, and we know that one was tight. I'd like to hope that was the case, but the two dyno runs from the two different pulley sizes could almost be transposed onto one another - one with the tighter belt and one with the looser belt. I do hope you're right. Guess we'll know this morning.

Mark
Old 11-15-2005, 07:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Hi Mark, these blower belts stretch after approx .5 hr of use. I'm hoping that the power numbers we saw here were with a tight belt, and that once you drove it back to KC the belt had loosened up somewhat. We normally retighten the belt once after the initial break in and then we don't normally see anymore problems with them. Periodic inspection several times a year is not a bad idea, especially if you tend to have a lead foot. Either way, we'll get the problem resolved. Hopefully it's simple, as we don't normally have many problems with the ATI ProChargers as a rule. Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

...well this is a "prototype" install so there has to be something to learn from it. Dont kick yourself ya because with that 4.25 pulley, and that bolt/belt slippage fixed....you will see so NICE numbers over the 500rwhp mark!!!

"cough...santa, procharger!.cough"
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by obZidian
...well this is a "prototype" install so there has to be something to learn from it. Dont kick yourself ya because with that 4.25 pulley, and that bolt/belt slippage fixed....you will see so NICE numbers over the 500rwhp mark!!!

"cough...santa, procharger!.cough"
Thanks. Here's to hoping, and I hope I was dumb enough not to notice a slipping belt, but I'm skeptical that's the problem. Anyway, It's in able hands now, so we'll see how goes it!

Mark
Old 11-15-2005, 08:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Chip is installing your boost gauge right now, so that we can compare your gauge to our gauge when we run the car. Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Chip is installing your boost gauge right now, so that we can compare your gauge to our gauge when we run the car. Bob

Great, I'll call you guys later today to see what you find!

Mark
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

you did check your boost gauge right? to make sure your gauge was not screwed
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by platinum
you did check your boost gauge right? to make sure your gauge was not screwed
Checked with 2 different gauges. 6# both times. Should be making about 10#. These guys will get her running right, though.

Mark
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

Awesome
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Sorry Mark that I didn't get a chance to talk to you. I had a sore throat over the weekend and I have lost my voice, plus I still feel lousy...
We only saw 7 psi of boost with the 4.25 pulley with the tightened belt, with your newly installed boost gauge.
How could that be when we saw higher boost originally with a 4.5" pulley? Last week we had my brother's '95 Formula on my dyno, and we saw 12 psi of boost. My brother's car always put out 9 psi of boost... Hmm.... It turns out that our one year old Autometer boost gauge is not accurate!!! This in a way is good news for you, as we got 450 rwhp out of your car at a fairly low boost level. With the new tune that we sent you due to the low octane fuel in your area, rwhp is way down even at 7 psi. Since you have found higher octane fuel in your area, we'll need to retune your car, plus I have ATI air mailing us a 3.85 and a 4.0 pulley that we should see today. We'll wait for the smaller pulley's to arrive before we do anymore, then we'll have to retune.

Once it is all done I am confident that we'll be at 500 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno. Your new boost gauge looks great in the ashtray, I'll have to get some pic's. Bob
Old 11-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry Mark that I didn't get a chance to talk to you. I had a sore throat over the weekend and I have lost my voice, plus I still feel lousy...
We only saw 7 psi of boost with the 4.25 pulley with the tightened belt, with your newly installed boost gauge.
How could that be when we saw higher boost originally with a 4.5" pulley? Last week we had my brother's '95 Formula on my dyno, and we saw 12 psi of boost. My brother's car always put out 9 psi of boost... Hmm.... It turns out that our one year old Autometer boost gauge is not accurate!!! This in a way is good news for you, as we got 450 rwhp out of your car at a fairly low boost level. With the new tune that we sent you due to the low octane fuel in your area, rwhp is way down even at 7 psi. Since you have found higher octane fuel in your area, we'll need to retune your car, plus I have ATI air mailing us a 3.85 and a 4.0 pulley that we should see today. We'll wait for the smaller pulley's to arrive before we do anymore, then we'll have to retune.

Once it is all done I am confident that we'll be at 500 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno. Your new boost gauge looks great in the ashtray, I'll have to get some pic's. Bob
Awsome!!! I hope you get to feeling better. I'll give you all a call later on today. Thanks again, Bob!

Mark

Quick Reply: CTS-V with ATI ProCharger D-1SC