Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it could be a number of things. Maybe the extension itself was bad, like you said, not giving the correct amount or receiving the correct values from to the rear o2. Thus, your motor wasn't getting enough of it was getting to much fuel depending on the values given.

That all depends on how the looked like when they can out. Fuel dripped or smelled of fuel. White coated haze? I would think that the bad extension leaned your motor out, thus you high a/f, and without enough fuel to cool down the charge, too much heat began to build up, rapidly, and fouled your plugs. I would check them all since your in there and just have those rears deleted. Those sims might give you more trouble than any help. I have been running with a completely deleted set of rear o2's and haven't had any issues tunning my ride.

good luck!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

i asked my shop about a tune and they saidi dont need one, and that it wouldnt help very much because theres only so much you can do to the stock computer. Can i ruin anything by running this lean? It was running even leaner in the lower rpm's with just the cat back and intake and i drove like that at least for 7k miles
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cts_V
i asked my shop about a tune and they saidi dont need one, and that it wouldnt help very much because theres only so much you can do to the stock computer. Can i ruin anything by running this lean? It was running even leaner in the lower rpm's with just the cat back and intake and i drove like that at least for 7k miles

They are full of it.

Last edited by zipdog; 08-01-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Here is what you can do. Go to either hptuners, or ls1edit, printout what a stock pcm tuning software can do. You want complete control over your fuel/air flow tables, you got it. You want to tune with a 150 or a 400 shot of juice. you got it. You want a 3bar headroom, for 30psi with a small shot going through the motor, you got.... all with the stock pcm. You really dont need a stand alone system unless you have factors that need to be address. For 90% of the community here, the stock pcm is more then capable of handling just about anything you can throw at it. PERIOD!!

YES, YOU CAN RUIN YOUR MOTOR, BAD, IF YOU CONTINUE TO RUN LEAN.

Here is what i would do, get that extension fixed and replace all of my plugs. Then, get my car and leave the shop. If they are that stubborn on the pcm then i wouldn't trust them for the rest of the ordeal. I ahve gonne through to many ******* shops to know that another day finding a reliable shop is worth a million times more than a blown motor at a unreliable shop.

A tune will either make or break ANY motor, this is fact. For example, your pituatary and thyroid are responsible for a number of things, one being the balance of your bodies hormone levels. Imagine what would happen if you got to much estorgen? You would grow man *****, your voice would get higher in pitch and you nuts will shrink. Im sure you wouldn't want any of those things to happen, right?

Mu point is that you cannot say that the tune is not needed if it is evident that your motor is running VERY lean, thus, not enough fuel being sent to the cylinders. OK, fuel is not only used to maek power, its liquid properties are also used to maintain a certain range of atomization temperature. If you exceed that temp range, you will cause damage to the components of the larger mechanisim. Your plugs for example,...

so, me, personally?... i would go somewhere else. Im here in miami. I have been tuning ever since i got my new motor however, my buddy is a moderator at ls1tuning. Without over inflating anyones ego, he knows his stuff. Im not sure where exactly you are in florida but we could help out, all you would need to bring is the car, and some beer!!

However, if you are not willing which is more then understandeable, try to find another shop in your area that HAVE tuned ls1's before or at least worked on them.

good luck!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

they used the thing that goes on the exhaust. How would the o2 extension foul out the spark plugs tho? do you think there was damage done since the 4 plugs were fouled? i only drove it mile or so...

The Kooks headers do not need the o2 extensions. I've done 2 sets and have the extensions sitting in my box.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

as soon as i get the car back (should be tomorrow) im bringing it to a shop about an hour away that specializes in LSx engines...would the car be ok driving it down there? or woud it be better if i had it towed?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

as soon as i get the car back (should be tomorrow) im bringing it to a shop about an hour away that specializes in LSx engines...would the car be ok driving it down there? or woud it be better if i had it towed?

If it's idleing o.k., it should be fine to drive there. I would just keep your foot out of it. At cruise, it's going to be at 14.7+ -AF. You just don't want to be lean at WOT under load.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

again, my friend pretty much said it, stay out of your PE tables, aka, no fun!! Until you get it all ready!!

agian, dude, good luck!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
again, my friend pretty much said it, stay out of your PE tables, aka, no fun!! Until you get it all ready!!

agian, dude, good luck!!

Which friend is that, Rosie or her 5 friends? I think you meant to say VE tables. Of course your a tuning wizard also.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

well i got the car back today and its running alright, they changed the 2 front o2 sensors (it was the front that burnt out not the rear, my bad), new o2 extension and changed the 4 spark plugs. the only thing is that the drivers side window doesnt go up automatically anymore. They put back on the dyno...heres the chart

The blue line was the 1 st dyno with the headers, the green and red ones are the dyno runs after everything was done, they said the vibration made the dyno spike a little bit.

I have an appointment monday morning for a tune

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Much better numbers, but you are still running really lean especially below...well 80 mph...whatever rpm that is.
The tune is going to help you out a lot! Good luck!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

the only thing is that the drivers side window doesnt go up automatically anymore.
They must have disconnected the battery...all you have to do is reset the switch by rolling the window all the way down, rolling it all the way up and holding the button for a few seconds.

And I agree that you are way lean....your numbers should look better with a proper tune.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

I still dont like that afr for my liking... Its still lean and you might blow another set of o2's and plugs, again.

FWIW, please get that car tuned again to a lower, SAFER, afr. You might gain power and be alot safer then what you are running now.

EDIT: WAIT!!! the green and red lines are after the o2/plug swap? Tell me your not running on the red line tune? That is way to lean. Even the green, that is too lean as well. If gets moderately close almost around 55rpm or 6k but it needs to drop as soon as you go into PE or WOT, which i believe it is more then 75% throttle.

You still need to add fuel. Dont run it hard and dont let those guys tell you its ok, you cannot run that motor over 13.7 afr, your over 14.0 with the red and some parts with the green tune when in PE or WOT. There is absolutely very little addition of fuel. I cannot express how bad this is, IF THOSE READINGS ARE TRUE of course....

Good luck brotha, please get her tuned and add some fuel to stay on the SAFE side or go somewhere else if those guys tell you otherwise, i wouldn't rest at all with a afr like that. (again, if those readings are accurate)

Last edited by obZidian; 08-04-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Which friend is that, Rosie or her 5 friends? I think you meant to say VE tables. Of course your a tuning wizard also.
POWER ENRICHMENT TABLES, sweety...... The VE, Volumetric Efficiency Table is quie hard to be out of while the PE tables is ver plausible to stay out of all day, as long as you know you parameters.

"Hella" of a good try though...

Last edited by obZidian; 08-04-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

I still dont like that afr for my liking... Its still lean and you might blow another set of o2's and plugs, again.

FWIW, please get that car tuned again to a lower, SAFER, afr. You might gain power and be alot safer then what you are running now.

EDIT: WAIT!!! the green and red lines are after the o2/plug swap? Tell me your not running on the red line tune? That is way to lean. Even the green, that is too lean as well. If gets moderately close almost around 55rpm or 6k but it needs to drop as soon as you go into PE or WOT, which i believe it is more then 75% throttle.

You still need to add fuel. Dont run it hard and dont let those guys tell you its ok, you cannot run that motor over 13.7 afr, your over 14.0 with the red and some parts with the green tune when in PE or WOT. There is absolutely very little addition of fuel. I cannot express how bad this is, IF THOSE READINGS ARE TRUE of course....

Good luck brotha, please get her tuned and add some fuel to stay on the SAFE side or go somewhere else if those guys tell you otherwise, i wouldn't rest at all with a afr like that. (again, if those readings are accurate)
Im not going to drive the car at all untill monday when i havet to take it for the tune (except for tonight bc its my friends birthday, only lives 1/2mile away) I dont know why this shops saying that i dont need a tune, maybe its kind of a good thing that they dont tune yet...
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

POWER ENRICHMENT TABLES, sweety...... The VE, Volumetric Efficiency Table is quie hard to be out of while the PE tables is ver plausible to stay out of all day, as long as you know you parameters.

"Hella" of a good try though...

It's a wee bit more complicated than that Mary. But hey, thanks trying to look like you know what your talking about......... again. The question was header install results, not "can Obozo talk **** about something that has nothing to do with the question at hand." Another example of you trying to dazzle a newb. with bullshit. Oh how you crave attention. Pathetic!!

It would seem that Vserice hit the nail on the head about you. Your here trolling for dates.

Last edited by 2c5s; 08-04-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Im not going to drive the car at all untill monday when i havet to take it for the tune (except for tonight bc its my friends birthday, only lives 1/2mile away) I dont know why this shops saying that i dont need a tune, maybe its kind of a good thing that they dont tune yet...
You can drive it, thats fine, but try to keep your foot out of it....

you should be fine if you moderate your right foot!!! If all things fail, you cn always get a tunning software, like i did, and learn you way around the pcm. ITs really not difficult if you understand the tables and that they all are related t each other.

If not, get another opinion..

good luck bortha!!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

You can drive it, thats fine, but try to keep your foot out of it....

you should be fine if you moderate your right foot!!! If all things fail, you cn always get a tunning software, like i did, and learn you way around the pcm. ITs really not difficult if you understand the tables and that they all are related t each other.

If not, get another opinion..

good luck bortha!!

Yeah, just go out and buy some tuning software like Obozo did. It's simple. What an a-hole. What he does'nt tell is that all he has tuned is turning his cooling fans on sooner if that. This guy is sooooo full of ****. Funny how he bought his tuning software about a year ago (BS) and in another thread he admits that his car has been down for over a year. Hhhmmmmmmm, big tuner. Let's see some local dyno graphs showing your tuning skills. You don't have any huh. Let me guess, you have an A/F meter in the car right???? Ignorant poser.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

so, how is she? got her looked at again?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

so, how is she? got her looked at again?
Just got the car back, and shes running better then ever.It gets a little hotter but i guess the new headers put out more heat. IM glad the a/f got straigtned out. Im pretty happy about the hp gains also..

Quick Reply: headers installed