Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Advice on 60k service needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 60k service needed

Alrighty folks, here's the deal. My mother has a 2001 Cadillac DTS (nope, obviously not powered by an LS engine, but rather by the venerable Northstar engine) that is coming up on it's 60K mile service. Since there's only one Cadillac dealership in the area she's been going to them for all of her Cadillac needs, but I get the feeling from her past dealings with them that they're not the most on the level folks. It's all been little stuff, seriously undervaluing her CTS when she was thinking of trading in for an XLR, then trying to charge more than MSRP for a new XLR in spite of the fact that they were selling an older model XLR with around 1500 miles on it. Now, most of that can be contributed to being just aggressive sales tactics, but what she's told me about her latest dealings witht hem has me a tad bit concerned.

Apparently, when she called to schedule her 60K service they told her to "bring you credit card, because the 60k mile service is expensive." I've looked over her service manual and the only thing that really leaped out at me as being even the least bit out of the ordinary was checking the bore on the throttle-body. Unless the Northstars have managed to create some sort of heretofor unheard of engine design where they have to rip out most of the engine compartment in order to access the top of the intake manifold I can't see this taking a good mechanic more than 30 minutes, so the cost shouldn't be coming from there. So basically In get the impression that these guys have pegged my mother as someone who just doesn't know any better. So for those of you who have owned your Caddies past 60K miles, did you routine service ever get strangely expensive (and yes, I realize that again, the CTS-V and the DTS are entirely different vehicles) or do you think they're really giving her the run around?

And if it does, and forgive my ignorance on this matter, but would it be worth telling her to instead take her Caddy to the local Chevy dealer since they treat their customers much better? Being a fellow GM car, would they provide routine maintenance? Has anyone ever tried crossing the aisle like that, and did it go well?

Thanks in advance for your input folks. And yes, I have also posted this on cadillacforums.com as well. I'm just covering the bases here.

-Edit- Apparently I won't be posting this on Cadillacforums as they don't like my email (Hotmail), which rather sucks as it's my only active email. Bah.