Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aluminum flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum flywheel

Hey, just curious, what would be the benefit of putting an aftermarket aluminum flywheel on my car(beside the weight difference)? And if there are any real benefits, would I notice them? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

i can't speak from my v experience, but when i put a light weight flywheel on my 01 m3, i noticed a difference.

went from the 25lb stock flywheel to the turner motorsports light weight flywheel that weighs 10lbs.

it freed up a noticable bit of power. (keep in mind, no real gains, it just frees up power) and the throttle felt much more responsive (this may have just been my perception.)

the downside, if you care, is that the lighter you go, the noisier it gets. when it lost 15lbs, the flywheel made a knocking noise. it was rather noticable. with the window open, the car sounded like a diesel. again, keep in mind this was on an 01 bmw m3 (i6 is a very different beast than the v8). but you will notice a difference in sound.

hope this helped a little.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, but yeah also does anyone know what kind of installation prices ide be looking at with a new flywheel?, also when I take my car to the strip (im usually racing my dad and brother) its usually dragging, i hear that a steel flywheel is better than aluminum from a dig due to the inertia difference? is this true, if so are there any upgrades ino a Steel flywheel for the V?

Last edited by Maxis; 03-27-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Lighter means less rotational inertia.

Therefore easier to accelerate
revs more freely
more power to the wheels as less energy converted to rotation momentum
Also easier to decelerate
more engine braking (due to compression)
more likely to stall when leaving from a dead stop

I am sure there are more things to consider.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Launching!

CTS(v) hit it right on the head. I'm running the stock GM Clutch and Flywheel from the C5 Z06 in my V because it's about 18lbs lighter than the stock Cadillac setup. The car accelerates better and the throttle response is better, but it does make a decent racket under some conditions (taking off from a stop, mostly). A diesel clatter would be a good way to describe it.

Small price to pay for the performance gains, in my opinion. I went with the C5 Z06 setup for the peace of mind of using GM parts that were designed for the LS6 and T56 as opposed to aftermarket, but there's several aftermarket models out there from UUC, Fidanza, etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatd you have to do to get that stock (im assming 2004) z06 flywehel and clutch in? did you have to modify the V at all or the clutch/flywheel? also is it a DIY install?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Would there be any problems putting an aftermarket flywheel w/ a stock clutch?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

tpis sells a the z06 clutch and flywheel + spacer on their website
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

Will the TPIS CTS-V setup bolt right up?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not looking to get raped by TPS for parts....If tony orlando did what he described, I used z06 clutch flywheel setup can be had for 100's less than tps so bravely charges.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Maxis
Would there be any problems putting an aftermarket flywheel w/ a stock clutch?

i didn't have any trouble running an after market flywheel with stock clutch, but i would recommend replacing the clutch (putting a fresh one in) when you do the flywheel. it's a good time to upgrade the clutch if you have the desire to do so.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Launching!

The parts all bolt in, but you need to move the slave cylinder forward about an inch if you use the Z06 parts, since they're an inch thinner and the slave won't reach them without the spacer. You can purchase that alone from TPiS if you already have the clutch. Also, if you aren't going to do the clutch & PP (just the flywheel), UUC makes one that has the spacer built in and just bolts up with no mod to the slave.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Were dose the spacer go? I saw a pic and it looks like it goes under the through out bearing but all I saw was the spacer so I don’t know. It looks like it would be easy to make with a lathe. Does anybody have any detail pics of the spacer? Dimensions or anything? I saw a piece of aluminum at work that I think would be perfect!

This place seems to have a decent variety
http://www.byunspeed.com/index.php?c...1f085259e39114

Last edited by raven154; 03-31-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

this is pretty offtopic from my origonal post, but today I was driving, and I hear a scraping sound, so i put my hazards on and pull over, the damn cheap plastic under piece in the front of the car, under the front grills fell off, the cheap plastic bolts came out somehow, is this something were I need to take it to the dealer to get it put back on( i could do it but I need more of those shitty bolts) or is it fine, im guessing i need to take it back?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

this is pretty offtopic from my origonal post, but today I was driving, and I hear a scraping sound, so i put my hazards on and pull over, the damn cheap plastic under piece in the front of the car, under the front grills fell off, the cheap plastic bolts came out somehow, is this something were I need to take it to the dealer to get it put back on( i could do it but I need more of those shitty bolts) or is it fine, im guessing i need to take it back?
Hot damn I'm glad I'm not the only one! My **** fell down on the turnpike and I guess there was enough air going over it to keep it off the ground but it left the inner fender unsupported and it rubbed a hole through the pass. side inner fender. (I guess it dosnt help when your cruising at 110) I finally went AutoZone and bought a couple different types of clips. What ended up being the best were some nylon rivets made by DORMAN. They are 1/4" and the part # is 961-055. Those have a large head on them and only come in pack of 2 and they sell the same thing only with a smaller head and they come in pack of 6. I think it takes 11 or 12 to totally replace them. Once I did, i ran up to 164 and everything stayed put so I guess they work good!

And yes you need it. It keeps air from getting under the front of the car and it also helps keep the car cool when sitting in traffic.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks for the reply, its goin to the dealership on thursday, u think i can drive it to school and the gym without it splodin on me or should i take my brothers car?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

ok thanks for the reply, its goin to the dealership on thursday, u think i can drive it to school and the gym without it splodin on me or should i take my brothers car?
You can take it off and you will be fine as long as you dont go crazy fast or sit a long time in traffic when its hot out. If you're just running to school, around town a bit, chewing up a few T/A's & SS's it'll be fine. I just wouldnt go to fast without it. I'm talking like a hundred or so. It keeps air from getting in the engine compartment and lifting the front of the car at high speeds. It also helps the fans pull air through the radiator instead of around it but these cars seem to have an exellent cooling system so I dont think you should have a cooling problem. I say take it off, you'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

cool thanks, also i hear that flywheels are an incredible pain in the *** to install..that true?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

cool thanks, also i hear that flywheels are an incredible pain in the *** to install..that true?
Kind of depends on how much you know and what kind of tools you have. If you have a lift and air tools along with a dead lift and tranny jack, I don’t think it would take to long. Yeah anytime you break the tranny loose from the motor its going to be a pain, but the lift and air make a big difference! But if you don’t know what you're doing, the tools and lift are useless and you MUST buy new flywheel bolts.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

new UUC flywheel in today...great performance but Im getting a rattle with it...my friend who was driving his car next to me said its louder than my exhaust..I only heard it once...but it sounded like something was scraping on botton(I checked, there wasnt)

Is a sound like this normal with a new flywheel? willit go away when it wares a bit? or do I need to bring it back in?