Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lets talk clutches!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles did you get out of your clutch setups with the light flywheels?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 10k of *** whooping on mine, with a little autocross and drag racing inbetween. Still strong like bull.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Guess I'm the only one with a Monster stage 2 in here? I will say the clutch GRABS like a **** & the pedal never goes dead like it did with my LS7 setup (with less than 12k miles on it). The pedal effort is very similar to the LS7, which is similar to stock, but to be honest, I'm not too happy with the low speed drivability. For one, it tends to chatter a bit, & also I don't care for the release height, & my car seems to buck more below 2200 rpm than it did with the LS7.

This is my consensus on the Monster stage 2= For aggressive driving, I LOVE it, but just wish the overall regular drivability was better.

On another note, I LOVED the old LS7 setup when it was working good, but I kept having dead pedal issues, even after replacing the slave cylinder.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EPIK
Guess I'm the only one with a Monster stage 2 in here? I will say the clutch GRABS like a **** & the pedal never goes dead like it did with my LS7 setup (with less than 12k miles on it). The pedal effort is very similar to the LS7, which is similar to stock, but to be honest, I'm not too happy with the low speed drivability. For one, it tends to chatter a bit, & also I don't care for the release height, & my car seems to buck more below 2200 rpm than it did with the LS7.

This is my consensus on the Monster stage 2= For aggressive driving, I LOVE it, but just wish the overall regular drivability was better.

On another note, I LOVED the old LS7 setup when it was working good, but I kept having dead pedal issues, even after replacing the slave cylinder.
Did you use a GM Slave or an aftermarket LS7 slave?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine has about 12k miles on it and still strong. Pedal never goes dead on mine either...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Mine has about 12k miles on it and still strong. Pedal never goes dead on mine either...
which diamond clutch did you go with?
Do you have a pn or link?

I may go this route rather than the lsx9.
Im trying to find the best solution for the upgrade this redline is getting this winter.
max out this D-1SC.
see what i can get out of it...

Last edited by vmapper; 09-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
which diamond clutch did you go with?
Do you have a pn or link?

I may go this route rather than the lsx9.
He went with a Diamond Stage 3 clutch.

http://www.diamondclutch.com/
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

dam,sorry about that, its in the first page... missed that.
Thanks GA95DCMSS

the site says 700hp.
im thinkin ill be over that to the ground.... hmm.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

That is correct. Diamond stage 3 kit with 15lb flywheel. I like it a lot.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
There is NO issue going to a light flywheel unless this is your first car with a manual transmission and you're a woman or a little sissy guy.
great poast... you back in the V world??
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
Did you use a GM Slave or an aftermarket LS7 slave?
The "Modified" GM slave that Monster said was needed with their clutch kit. The slave that was installed about 2k miles before I put the Monster 2 in was also an OEM LS7 slave. I wanted to reuse it, but Monster said I needed to buy their slave to get it to work together correctly.

When I pulled the LS7 clutch out, it only had around 12k miles on it, & looked great, but I kept having dead pedal issues with it. I had replaced the salve at around 10k miles because the LS7 slave that was originally installed with the clutch had started to leak fluid.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I just finished pulling the trigger on a Diamond Stage 2 after all the positive reviews I read about them. I needed something that would be able to hold power in the long term when the real bolt ons go on but didn't shock the stock driveline on my 05 CTS-V. If you're going to be upgrading the rear on your V, then a Stage 3 wouldn't be an issue. I just figured a six puck clutch would be pushing it even if the car has an upgraded gen differential.

With regards to the slave cylinder included with that Diamond kit, to my understanding, it would not work and the ideal solution would be a LS7 slave cylinder. I started shopping around I found threads about the Powertorque CS2529 (mentioned earlier by FuzzyLog1c) which is supposed to be a cost effective alternative ($92) to the OEM LS7 slave cylinder ($160) and still retain the same durability as the OEM unit.

One of the things I'm wondering about this OEM style cylinder is, are the fittings still be the same as the stock LS7 for a remote bleeder?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KamaSutra

With regards to the slave cylinder included with that Diamond kit, to my understanding, it would not work and the ideal solution would be a LS7 slave cylinder. I started shopping around I found threads about the Powertorque CS2529 (mentioned earlier by FuzzyLog1c) which is supposed to be a cost effective alternative ($92) to the OEM LS7 slave cylinder ($160) and still retain the same durability as the OEM unit.

One of the things I'm wondering about this OEM style cylinder is, are the fittings still be the same as the stock LS7 for a remote bleeder?
Following up on this, it's confirmed that the Diamond Clutch kit comes with a 98-02 F-Body Slave Cylinder. Should a CTS-V guy order one, they will need an LS7 Slave Cylinder or Katech Slave Spacer (if you choose to run your stock slave cylinder).

As for the Powertorque CS2529, I decided to purchase one. Looks just like the OEM LS7 unit you get from GM. The bleeder fitting is the same like the OEM LS7 unit. Has the same FTE housing like the OEM LS7 unit. The Powertorque CS2529 is USA made, not from Germany like the OEM LS7 unit. I'll post up some pictures when I get home. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but figured it would be good information with regards to clutches.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
great poast... you back in the V world??
Well I kinda never left lol I've been wrenching on the car for my dad. Just got the block back from the machine shop for the second time. Been cutting rings and checking bearing clearances. Still loving my R1 though. It was raining today so I had to drive my car. First time in months with the drout in OK. Pissed me off when I got behind a slow poke lol
Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
Following up on this, it's confirmed that the Diamond Clutch kit comes with a 98-02 F-Body Slave Cylinder. Should a CTS-V guy order one, they will need an LS7 Slave Cylinder or Katech Slave Spacer (if you choose to run your stock slave cylinder).

As for the Powertorque CS2529, I decided to purchase one. Looks just like the OEM LS7 unit you get from GM. The bleeder fitting is the same like the OEM LS7 unit. Has the same FTE housing like the OEM LS7 unit. The Powertorque CS2529 is USA made, not from Germany like the OEM LS7 unit. I'll post up some pictures when I get home. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but figured it would be good information with regards to clutches.

Did you call and see if Jason would have swapped out the slave with something that would fit?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Did you call and see if Jason would have swapped out the slave with something that would fit?
Unfortunately he didn't have anything in stock at the time.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EPIK

Serious ?.

Do you end up with red spots on the floor from transmission fluid being shaken out of the trans from the chatter?

That and the chatter was the deal breaker for me and I replaced my Monster.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

any one know if thers any options for our trans and clutch problems for 1000hp? im looking but im tired today haha

Quick Reply: Lets talk clutches!