Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

egr question about emission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default egr question about emission.

hey guys,
i posted about this somewhere else but i figured i should post here because its mostly a emission question, i just got the fast 92, and i have a 98 so it has the egr hose coming out of the intake. my question is, is it possible to not put this hose back in ? and if not is it relocatable? will it pass emission if i dont put it in? and will i gain anything if i dont put it in ?
thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey! Where are you form in Ottawa? What car do you have?

Most people delete this hose - myself included. All you will need is a block off plate for your exhaust manifolds. I have never heard of anyone relocating it. I doubt that it will pass emissions without it, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a FAST 92 on the way as well, and have a set of heads and a camshaft. I will be testing the car before install everything
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I run a fast 92/NW TB with a 224 cam and ported stock heads. I kept the egr (likely the only one with a Fast92) and it runs great. You can delete it with no ill affects. If you put blockoff plates on your manifolds or headers its a dead giveway to the smog police if they do a roadside check. Best bet is to buy a set of 01-02 specific headers where there is no egr. Do a search and you will find a ton of info on this subject.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

hey,thanks for the advice guys, im in the south (huntclub) its a WS6 1998, if i would have known i would have purchase 01 headers but i just purchased American Racing Headers for 98 at the same time and they do have egr and air on them.. im guessing i should just hook up the hose.. do you guys know if i llose any power with it in? and anywhere in ottawa give a good tune? i just got 410 gears too thats the main reason im looking for a tune...or am i gonna have to take a drive to the gta? thx again
Old 03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Just hook them up and be legal as I doubt you will lose power. As far as E-test goes it depends on your cam so if your not bigger then 224/578 you should pass no problem as long as it's tuned. I don't think there is anyone in Ottawa so I guess you making the trek down here. Make sure not to rev to past 4k before your tune as the new intake and headers will make you very lean.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pomp is right. Makes sure you cut the EGR tube flush. check out EGR mod on installuniversity or here.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Teching In

hey, if my cam is still stock will i still be runing lean or will i be ok? i was hoping to save some cash before i go down so i could do a head and cam swap before my tune... the car should stilll be drivable the way i have it now no?(without cam and heads).. thx
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

It's not the cam that determines if you run lean or rich. Your going to a much bigger intake and headers improving it's exit so the more air you got going in the leaner it will be. If you have a place to dyno the car with air/fuel get that done. It's should not be more the $80 and that will tell you were your at in regards to air/fuel. Personally, I would wait and get it done all at the same time as you have to take off the intake and exhaust anyways when you do heads and cam anyway so why pay for it when you can get them installed for free later. This way you can still drive the car and not worry if your lean or not and save some bucks to boot!! Get your emmissions done before you do any mods as that will give you 2 years to play with.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just be carefull with MTO. Ive seen a $420 ticket for a crack vacum hose.
OPP and MTO officers are being given training coarses on what to look for and test. They think and will argue as if they were a licenced tech.
Ive seen on MTO ***** try and recite a tech manual for a 86GN or so he thought.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Teching In

lol ive heard some horror stories about those MTO guys... sorry but im not sure if got it right.. if i get a air fuel dyno as your saying i should be ok to drive and go past 4k? will one of those hannd held tuners like predator or something give me a ok tune until i can get down there? its kind of hard to wait to install my stuff since they are here, im counting down days and they r going really slow lol until i could get the car out and install em.. it makes more sense to wait but i have a feeling i wont be able to..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

The Dyno with air/fuel will tell you if your rich or lean. The dyno will just tell you the air/fuel and will not make any adjustments. You will need software like HPTuners to make adjustments. Why waste your money on those shitty predators as they are not worth the money. The cost about $400 us as you can get a dyno tune done for $500 or so. I would still wait until you have all the parts you want and drive the car stock. It will also give you a good shot at passing e-test also.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being as I just passed recently with a 224 112 568 lift cam with only raising the idle for a legitimate pass, I think my idea to keep all emissions equipment intact played a large role.

EGR runs from 800-2400rpm and adds anywhere from 2-7 degrees of timing. depending on how much EGR it flows and the load going through the system. The benefit of EGR while it is running is that it can keep NOX count down by keeping combustion temperatures down. Since it also takes up air volume it also reduces the air and fuel passing through lessening the chance of going too rich.

Quick Reply: egr question about emission.