Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Ottawa area performance shops

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ottawa area performance shops

It seems that our options continue to improve in the Ottawa area for non-import focused performance shops.

For years there have been some good engine builders (West Carleton Automotive, Randy's performance in Kemptville, etc.) and a few decent garages around that have had mixed reviews (Bruno's).

Now there are several others that also do in-car work. Places like Don Fournier (East End), Hinton in Stittsville, LenTech in Richmond, etc. I recently heard that Hinton and West Carleton Automotive are building a joint shop in Stittsville to do both engine building and in-car work.

Actually I've spent some time at LenTech http://www.lentechautomotive.com/engines2.htm recently discussing torque convertor and cam options and have been really impressed. They dyno tune (using HP Tuners) and have done quite a bit of LT1 / LS1 work. They sell a wide range of performance stuff and Lenny is a well known accomplished racer. Everytime I went the lot had a number of full drag cars including rails.

The other shop that I had real success with this year is Crilly Chassis Works in Carp. After installing my Watts Link setup I wasn't sure I had the rear suspension properly set up having adjustable shocks, adjustable TA and the Watts link. I took the car to Crilly. They specialize in building race car chassis and in suspension work. They do full NHRA / IHRA spec cages, build NASCAR type frames / suspensions, etc.

Ed was meticulous with my car. Measured everything, set everything up perfectly, just a totally impressive experience. We talked for about 40 minutes about suspensions and adjustments when I went to pick up the car. He is incredibly knowledgable and more than willing to spend time talking about options for your car.

It seems that are fortunes continue to get better in the Ottawa area for performance applications.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

About damn time. The new Hinton shop in Stittsville will include a dyno, according to Verne, though he didn't think it would be in by the time they open.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM

dont want to bring this back from the dead, but im in the middle of buying my first LS1 and wondering if there is support for tuning and so on in ottawa still.
thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

One thing I can tell you is to avoid Gizmo (on Lancaster near St Laurent) and all cost!!!
I ordered my Ram Air hood from them and everything you can think of that could go wrong, did, and it was all preventable. I'm currently in dispute with the Better Business Bureau against them. So yeah - AVOID GIZMO ( http://www.teamgizmo.ca/ )
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ftwultra
dont want to bring this back from the dead, but im in the middle of buying my first LS1 and wondering if there is support for tuning and so on in ottawa still.
thanks
I have heard good about Chris at Lentech and he has helped me with tuning even though I got it done on line because he did not work with TunerCat (my supercharged Jimmy). I will bring him the T/A when its time. I also used Gerry Otley at Go Performance for my diff gear change, also top in his field. I used Ed Wright for my on line tuning, very busy and you need a wide band and data logger and Ed can be impatient! However, well known for his black magic, he was involved in writing definition codes for TunerCat and much more I'm sure! Hope this helps and look forward to meeting you guy's this summer, Les>>>
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Launching!

I'm getting my SS out this weekend and plan to get it to Lentech for a tune over the next month. The last time I spoke it was going to be about $500 for a Dyno tune using HP Tuners.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 AM

Default Ed Crilly has moved!

I thought I should post that Ed Crilly (Crilly Chassis Works) is now partnered with a new shop located in Greely Ontario called Wicked Garage. There’s lots of info on the web site: http://www.wickedgarage.com and the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/wickedgarage
Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ A client of mine's dad is a part owner of the Wicked shop I believe.
I was planning on visiting them in the Spring for my LT header install and a true dual setup.

Has anyone used them yet?? I understand that they are a really new shop, but consist of a bunch of very experienced guys.

I also have some friends that know Randy's in Kemptville and he came highly recommended too.

Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Default lentech

I had a cam install at this shop in Richmond in 2011,what a disaster they could not tune the car afterword , took to long & charged way to much ! Had to take car (98 SS camaro) to neweraperformance in Rochester NY.They said who ever worked on car previously didn,t know to tune LS cars!

Mike
Kingston Ont.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ thats brutal, sorry to hear about that man.

Ive been doing more and more calling around and talking to friends, racers etc... to see whats what in Ottawa, and I am really thinking that Lentech and Randy's Performance are the places to go.

I have been meaning to do some digging on a local F-body forum, but havent gotten around to it yet....

Nice to see another Ontario owner here though!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Hinton and West Carleton Automotive are building a joint shop in Stittsville
Had some machine shop work done there last week, very impressed with the work and the customer service.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Are there any chassis shops in the west end of the city? It's a pain in the #ss that Crilly moved from Carp to Greely. It was so convenient when he had his own shop.

I'm looking at doing some shock work to go with my Watts link and roto-joint LCAs to reduce some of the slow speed harshness with my current setup.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old topic I guess but is there any dyno shops in Ottawa where we can rent a dyno and tune our own cars ??
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jprince
Old topic I guess but is there any dyno shops in Ottawa where we can rent a dyno and tune our own cars ??
I just called Lentech on the same thing $200/hr!! They figured an hr to an hr & a half for a couple of pulls(no tuning)I thought that a bit much just to get a baseline
Old 10-31-2015, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperloco
I just called Lentech on the same thing $200/hr!! They figured an hr to an hr & a half for a couple of pulls(no tuning)I thought that a bit much just to get a baseline
Yeah that's a but much .. I was wanting to tune my truck... basically looking to rent dyno time .. 200/hr and tuning would be fair I think ??
Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jprince
Yeah that's a but much .. I was wanting to tune my truck... basically looking to rent dyno time .. 200/hr and tuning would be fair I think ??
...depending on WHO is doing the tuning!!

Quick Reply: Ottawa area performance shops