Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Lost an axle, what C-clips are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lost an axle, what C-clips are you guys using?

Just got off the highway and apparently I lost and ate a C-clip up and the axle began making its way out...car lost drivability forward (wouldnt move when I pressed the gas so I just coasted to the side of the road)

What the hell would cause me to loose a C-clip like that??

Is there a beefier aftermarket version I can buy so that this doesnt happen again? or where can I get new C-clips?

Car as the EATON posi unit in it btw...

This scares the sh*t out of me...Im luck she didnt give on the highway, I might not be here right now...I literally just came off the offramp maybe 40 feet back...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

C-Clip failures are pretty common its just a crapola set up. Thats why they are banned from race tracks it happens a LOT.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get clip eliminators
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Although eliminators are stronger they are a make shift fix that are no wear near as good as converting to a bolt in axle/press bearing set up. Plus c-clip elims almost always leak and they arent cheap either.

ANYONE who invest money into a 7.5" ten bolt needs to have their brain examined they're piles of junk that cannot be helped
Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cam
Although eliminators are stronger they are a make shift fix that are no wear near as good as converting to a bolt in axle/press bearing set up. Plus c-clip elims almost always leak and they arent cheap either.

ANYONE who invest money into a 7.5" ten bolt needs to have their brain examined they're piles of junk that cannot be helped
Some of us needed them ASAP !

:'(
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Hope you can solve the issue quickly that would of scared me too.

Last edited by joe77; 04-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The issue with the three channel is the sensor is inside the housing. Theres no easy way to add this to aftermarket housings as a result. It messes with the structural integrity of the housing which for torque arm cars is HUGE and for this reason alone I wouldnt want to try it. Plus its not a five minute job if you want it to seal it needs to be machined and mounting up a housing for machining alone is a big job requires a bunch of space and bracketry and a couple of guys to manhandle the thing. I just dont see it as a worthwhile process to bother with. Neither do any of the other diff builders for that matter.

That said dont panic. There are some other workarounds out there you can do but you'll have to get crafty on your own but nothing too difficult. Ive seen some guys use a reluctor pressed onto the drive shaft slip yoke and made a bracket to hold the sensor in place of the tunnel. Other guys have run one 4 channel axle and used a 4 channel backing plate and sensor which is what I would do if I really wanted to retain it.

Personally? Im not a fan of those old ABS/TCS systems anyways they were not exactly great and a good driver can easily outperform them. The new stuff with Stabiltrack and launch control and all is pretty cool though but that stuff is all four channel hence why its supported in the aftermarket

Quick Reply: Lost an axle, what C-clips are you guys using?