Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Insurance question

I live in Calgary, Alberta and I need insurance for my car.
It is a '70 Impala with a Magnacharger-blown LS engine. The rest is pretty much stock, although I will put aftermarket wheels and maybe a rollbar in the not-too-far future. It is not a high-dollar car, by far!
Do you guys have an insurance company to recommend? Daily use would be best, but I will settle for leasure-only if needed. A local broker would be easier, but maybe this is asking too much!
I will not race the car regularily, but I will probably go to Secret Street (the open track 1/4 mile evening) on a Friday night once in a while.
I was talking to a company here and they refused to insure me at all when I mentionned the occasionnal SecretStreet; they are a funny company, a blown engine or nitrous is OK but they will not insure a car with a rollbar! How does this make sense?
Anyway, any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Guys! No one on this Canadian forum has a car insured? I cannot believe that! How do you drive your cars?
Or even experience with insurance companies?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of anyone that informs their insurance company of their mods. I met someone at a Solo event whose wife worked for the insurance company that had his car's coverage. She happened to mention that he was doing Solo 2 events and they cancelled his insurance. The only time an insurance company will allow you on a track is if it is a driving school.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You kinda put your foot in your mouth on that one brother.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

My problem is that my car was not insured while it was worked on, so now, I have to insure it modified...
I guess once more, it does not pay to be honest...
Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The reason insurance companies will not insure you with a roll bar is because they have proven highly dangerous to occupants in typical street accidents/crashes. Roll cages are designed to withstand racing accidents when the driver and/or occupant is properly harnessed in and wearing at minimum a helmet. Plus drag race crashes are usually singular and even if they are not both cars are moving in the same direction. Even the name rollbar is fairly self explanatory its not called a crashproof bar or a saveyourlifeinanaccident bar. In pretty much all other useable instances outside of racing a rollbar is dangerous. In a nutshell thats why insurance companies wont insure cars with roll bars.

Now as for insurance? Being an older car providing your driving record is decent there is good news. Click the link below and call these guys and ask about either the silver wheel plan or the custom wheel plan. This is what you want/need

http://www.lant-ins.ca/
Old 04-30-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info!
It is a shame we cannot just questions to an insurance broker/company without fear...
It seems this Custom Wheels plan could be of interest, I will have to call them. And this time, I will not talk too much...
What would be cool is if I could find an insurance for my Impala as a daily driver... I have seen an insurance program online somewhere that does not even allow you to use your car to go shopping or vacation, amazing!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I pay ~400$/year on insurance for my Firebird AND my civic... (inlcuding tax)
33$/month for 2 cars sounds like a good deal to me.

In a society/system where companies & insurance try to f*ck you over every way they can, you can bet your *** i'll do the same right back.

Last edited by razz; 05-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

^^^ Probably not something you want to be putting on a public forum.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not telling the Ins. Co. of mods (and they WILL ask) will result in no payout if your vehicle is totalled. Another thing, they will usually need to see the car in person at their recommended garage to be inspected prior to a policy being issued. In Ontario, I had to take a CAI off my Envoy (6 cyl!!!) so the buyer could get insurance. They claimed that a CAI is a "speed" modification and their policy was to not insure ANY car with that type of mod(s). Go figure, a 4600lb vehicle with a smooth inlet tube and conical, washable air filter was now a "race modified" vehicle!!! My own Ins Co. asked me when I phoned to put road coverages back on my Camaro in the spring if the car had been modified or had non stock parts on it. BTW, once your ins is cancelled, for whatever reason, no one will insure you, at least not reasonably. You get blackballed in a way.
It seems most insurance companies take policy from the same manuals. If/when you find one that doesn't mind the mods or is reasonable about it, let us know!

Quick Reply: Insurance question