Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Still haven't figured out how to build a proper shield for my air filter sitting right next to my driver side rear wheel

Just installed a Tick Master Cylinder due to loss of clutch pedal pressure when driving hard...very different feel. Will take some getting used to as the pedal movement is much shorter and firmer. Will look to see what sort of adjustability there is with this new equipment.
Why not head down to the local Home Depot and get some heating and ducting tin and fab it up?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Transamtom, it's unfortunately not as easy as it may seem

I am going to get my car back up on the hoist over the next few weeks and see what i can fab up for a complete rubber shield from gas tank to lower passenger rear seat subframe. This will prevent water and crud from reaching the air filter but allow breathabliity of the air filter. I've tried a circumferencial metal shield and it didn't do much unfortunately...

Time for a complete rethink....
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Name:  IMG_0287_zps6c4d812a.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  229.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0285_zps636addf9.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  182.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0286_zps25de6425.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  182.4 KB
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

That shield helped about as much as a perforated condom on a prostitute with the HIV.....
Old 11-06-2016, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

With temps dipping below freezing, the STS Camaro is going to get parked soon. I went to Home Depot and picked up some clear Acrylic Sheets and am planning to build a shield for the Air Filter that hangs off the turbo. This should net me all weather drive-ability and longer intervals between replacing/cleaning air filters. I'll post pics once i start. I've created a template out of Cereal Boxes...now the fun begins with cutting and assembling.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Scrapped the acrylic idea after realizing how challenging this will be. I fabbed up a cover with cardboard a local body shop will be cutting me the pieces needed to create a "cold air intake" on the bottom left corner of my car. I'll post pics once it's done.

I also decided that the car is in need of additional boost. So i'll be ordering 96# fuel injectors soon and back off the dyno for a tune. Shooting for 18-20lbs of boost with no particular goal for numbers. The engine/setup is running out of steam around 5800rpm, and my hope is with a bit more boost it'll provide additional room to see that plateau occur later in the rpm band. I'll post pics of the comparative graphs from where i started at 5# to where we hopefully stop (around 20).
Old 04-16-2017, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Parr Auto fabbed up my cold air intake i created out of metal. I'm going to swap cars on my lift tomorrow and will post pics for any rear mount guys interested.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Holy smack....with a 1974 Chevrolet Camaro taking up my lift, couldn't snap photos until today. Here is the custom shield i designed to keep the air filter protected from the elements:

1. Here is with the metal cover in place:
STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-q77w518.jpg

2. Here is a photo taken from the passenger rear underside of the car where you can sort of see where the air filter is situated:
STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-alkb4z7.jpg

3. Here is a pic with the cover removed:
STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-nnb3f5l.jpg

4. Here is a pic of the cover laying (dirty) on the ground. I had just taken the car out in a heavy rain and was being a bit of a hooligan...hence the crud:
STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-0js1vgo.jpg
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Just prior to parking for the winter, had a weird clunk in the front end. After 20 years of driving...the front LCA bushing disintegrated...so got that replaced. Then my steering rack bit the dust...so 4th steering rack installed in the 8 years i've owned the car. Mickey Thompson DR's were almost bald, so installed a set of Nitto NT555R's...and we'll see come summer 2018 how they compare to the MT's (wear, grip, etc).

If time/money work out in 2018/2019, my hope is to install bigger fuel injectors and a slightly larger turbo and push for approx 1,000 crank hp. As it sits, that would only require about 200 more crank hp...but my current turbo get's gassed and can't produce more than 14# boost.

Sucks not being able to drive these cars 5-6 months of the year....i suppose on the flipside...winter driving and being a hooligan with drifting slightly makes up for it.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I've looked thru this whole thread. The reason for your issues of dying up top is due to backpressure. As the exhaust travels down the car, it cools. It becomes in itself a wall for all the exhaust behind it. As it cools it also slows down. So...see below.

I've not seen where you've addressed backpressure. You have multiple ways to do so:
  • Larger Turbine Housing
  • Larger Turbine Wheel
  • Larger exhaust AFTER THE TURBO (this i saw is a problem. Run a 3.5in pipe exiting the turbo and use a straight thru muffler)
  • Smaller piping into the turbine (i'd say no smaller that 2.25)
  • Exhaust wrap
  • REAL ceramic insulating coating (from Jet Hot for example)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Nt555rs last me one summer. roughly 3000kms.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

q dubz: agreed in back pressure being one of a couple limitations.

1. The post turbo exhaust is as large as it can be and has a straight thru muffler. This can't be made more efficient
2. The turbonetics 7575 turbo definitely did well getting me to this point but just can't keep up with exhaust. I have to do some looking into which turbo might be a direct bolt up that has a larger turbine couple with a higher AR
3. Fuel injectors are over 100% duty cycle at 14# boost so these have to be addssed

I'm thinking with around $2-3k into a turbo and another $1k into injectors with a tune I'll see some big gains. I'll post more once I can tend to upgrades again.

Either way the car is fun but I would love to have the engine surge hard right through to redline with some buffer room with fuel injector duty cycle and proper AFR's
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 AM
Teching In

q dubz: agreed in back pressure being one of a couple limitations.

1. The post turbo exhaust is as large as it can be and has a straight thru muffler. This can't be made more efficient
2. The turbonetics 7575 turbo definitely did well getting me to this point but just can't keep up with exhaust. I have to do some looking into which turbo might be a direct bolt up that has a larger turbine couple with a higher AR
3. Fuel injectors are over 100% duty cycle at 14# boost so these have to be addssed

I'm thinking with around $2-3k into a turbo and another $1k into injectors with a tune I'll see some big gains. I'll post more once I can tend to upgrades again.

Either way the car is fun but I would love to have the engine surge hard right through to redline with some buffer room with fuel injector duty cycle and proper AFR's
You didn't address HEAT CONTROL. The hotter the exhaust gasses are the better they will flow and backpressure will be LESS of a problem. It's not so much the problem being the turbine. It's the cooling of the exhaust as it travels.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Finally got the Camaro dyno'd with the turbonetics turbo. 1st run was our best, though the AFR"s were a bit rich. 2 more runs were made with the last one included in the dyno vid i'll post below.

Here are the dyno sheets on the 1st and best run of the night. The tune was restored to the 1st run as that's where we made the most power. Next up will be some driveability tuning to enhance the pre-boost responsiveness.

Final numbers for the night were:

655 rhwp @ 5684 rpm
722 rwtq @ 4558 rpm

Nothing blew up, leaked or burned (except for a dyno strap...sorry about that Performance Plus).

Dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCWh...ature=youtu.be

Dyno sheets:

**** is wrong with your car
Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 AM
Teching In

this thing back running yet?
Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

It has run...idling. Here in Saskatchewan we are experiencing some pretty damn cold temps still. My 1350sq ft driveway is still ice covered as we have a north facing house.

I am planning to do an oil change on my Camaro soon. If we don't buy a different SUV i'm going to buy a larger Precision Turbo capable of 1350hp with larger fuel injectors and see where we end up.

Stay tuned....
Old 04-07-2018, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

In terms of heat control my intercooler is 2x larger than most standard intercoolers. It required a fair amount of modification to the front bumper. I wish i would've taken pics of how little is actually left of the bumper. If i cut any more out it will simply disintegrate and fly away. After this i will require something like a Killer Chiller to add more cooling.

I don't race my car at the track as our local track won't let me run it without a roll cage which i WILL NOT INSTALL

So i daily drive this car for 5 months when it's not precipitous outside. If it is, i have a B8.5 manual trans Audi S4 i'll be modding within an inch of it's life as a daily driver.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious if you followed all the STS directions. I have a kit I have yet to put on. Mainly thinking about any wiring changes or any PCV changes you made to it. Also, I'm going to get a v6 intermediate pipe and use that back to the turbo (I think it's 2 1/2"). Appreciate any thoughts you want to share in terms of the kit itself.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Merim...if you purchased a kit, install all wiring per instructions. You will have the fuel system and ECU stuff. Once everything is installed it's easily modified should you wish to do so. I would highly recommend following all their steps if you are wiring in their oil pump, etc.

I am just now searching for a turbo that will mate to this T4 flange and take my car past 14-15# boost. I will look at some of the Precision Turbos and see where i end up.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Oh sweet, you're an Audi guy too! My car is a B7 S4 single turbo...

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro