Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

More BC Kelowna questions

Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default More BC Kelowna questions

Bought house there and moving there August 31 possession date.
Questions:
is there a dynojet in Kelowna? Is there any dyno in Kelowna?
If not where is closest one? Vancouver?
Is Thunder Mountain an 1/8 mile track or 1/4 heard different things now so which is it?
How is the track? track prep, timing equipment,pits ,specatator seating,camping overnight,does it get good turnout of racers and spectators, does it get stuff like jet cars?
Is it still open in Sept since be there by then?
What altitude is Thunder Mountain?
How far away is Mission BC track?
And few other general questions.
No city police in Kelowna just RCMP.
Heard photo radar was removed from there or was it all of BC? True /false?
Any f body club or corvette club in Kelowna?
Where exactly is thunder mountain raceway?How far from me .Bought house in Upper Mission area.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

So obviously no one on this board lives in Kelowna.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry! I live here and so does my brother and at least 1 other forum member. Didnt catch this sooner.

is there a dynojet in Kelowna? Is there any dyno in Kelowna?
-A couple of the big pickup places have them
Is Thunder Mountain an 1/8 mile track or 1/4 heard different things now so which is it?
-Its 1/8th mile
How is the track? track prep, timing equipment,pits ,specatator seating,camping overnight,does it get good turnout of racers and spectators, does it get stuff like jet cars?
-The track is decent but always slick (hard for tarction) the equipment is decent and pits are ok, but the leadup to the track is on an incline and gravel (return path is paved) there are bleachers, and you can camp, and the turn out is decent. Havent seen any jet cars since its a 1/8th, but there are alot of snowmobiles!

Is it still open in Sept since be there by then?
-They have races into sept yes

What altitude is Thunder Mountain?
I believe its about 1700ft or so? Not sure. Kelowna is about 1100ft above sea level
How far away is Mission BC track? and the track is up near bigwhite for reference.

And few other general questions.
No city police in Kelowna just RCMP.
-Correct, none are very big on cars though and there isnt really anywhere on the street worth running anyways

Heard photo radar was removed from there or was it all removed?
We have redlight cameras but they arent allowed to have unmanned speed traps

Any f body club or corvette club in Kelowna?
Theres is a corvette club, everyone and their dog here owns a corvette

Where exactly is thunder mountain raceway?How far from me .Bought house in Upper Mission area.
If you are in upper mission you arent far away at all, prob less than a 20 min drive. I come from the west kelowna side, and if bridge traffic is bad Im maybe about an hour out
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As for shops - Cutting edge and K&S machine shop are the only places id use. We have a ton of import shops and a big crowd of them around here, but cutting edge does amazing work and they usually have K&S do any machine work they dont have mills for.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know much about getting car saftied in Kelowna.Heard no air care in Kelowna.
So was hoping not be too bad to get my 99TT safetied.

How much gravel to the track? block or so?
Thunder should show their altitude on their website. Someone tried to say it was like 3000 feet above sea level but know Kelowna is only 1000. They should have put it closer yet to city.Still its close compared to Regina.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no air care in kelowna, so its just an out of province inspection. They basically make sure the car has all functioning parts, lights and signals, safety stuff like airbags and seat belts, and the brake pads are good and the like. The gravel at the track is mostly just what you park on if you are not lined up waiting in queue, there is a paved route from the end of the track all the way back to the line up with gravel sections on the side where most people park their trailers. Queue times are never super long the friday nights ive been up so you can get a decent amount of runs in. Side note : The road to the track for about a Km is dirt road. Its not terrible, I drive my procharged camaro and my bro takes his turbo 383 camaro up there with no problems.

Nothing is allowed to be close to the city due to noise complaints. The dirtbike track cant even be opened more than 6 days a eyar due to old people complaining
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

We will have to hook up when get the 99TT out there unless sell it before I go. Its for sale but so far not getting happy price and its not getting sold for less. Don't need the money,don't care.

But of course love the car and had it since new and its wicked wicked fast even at baby 10psi right now.
Its cool you guys also have FI cars. We should be able to have some fun.
I am contemplated putting in a six point since really never take any passengers in the back and then should be ok for 10.0. Is thunder nhra track? Have you gone to Mission. That track sounds great fact think many records set there.

Maybe we can start up a Kelowna f body club.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thunder is nhra. The mission track! thats the 1/4 i was thinking of. my brother went up once and got rained out. Ive just started tracking my car, and im slow as hell. That track has crazy prep, its tacky as hell and the cars there always run great times.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Tires are key of course. I have et street radials to try out at track and maybe for street here and there. My toyo drag radials aren't the best at my current power levels but they are better than most regular street tires.

That is problem with farther out tracks you can get rained out .It sucks but drag racing isn't a rain sport.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok guys completed my move week or so ago although stupid moving trucks spread my load over three trucks and just getting last one today.
Hoping to have the 99TT out there near end of this month. And looking forward to meeting some f body guys.

Oh and pretty sure saw a nice chameleon or mystic teal camaro vert lt1 style
in car accident in the news. Have seen maybe same one at my kids high school OKM.I always loved that color.

Shame about that car.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to kelowna
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Well guys it looks like spring is here! I really am enjoying my new city and looking forward to some fun this year. I didn't sell my 99 TA yet and didn't get it out here its still sleeping in Regina but plan to fly back and pick it up or have buddies bring it to me hopefully around may.
I am still unsure on safety but think need to get a new ypipe with cats ,kooks makes one I think so not a big deal unless can find a shop that might not worry about the cat converters.
other than that think it should pass safety.
I would like to hook up with some of you f body guys and if any of you are out and about please email me and maybe can go for a ride in your cars might have some parts also for f bodies do have some ls1 stuff.
I think might also join vette club just plated my z06 and it was great to drive it around yesterday. I do love both my f bodies and my vette. Both have their pros and cons.
This is my first vette. Had tons of f bodies, first car when 18 was 77 bandit ta.
Had thru the years 78 ta, 81 formula,80 ta, 96 ta, 97 ta ws6, 96z28 vert and lastly the 99 twin turbo. Never had third gen or 1st gen and so far haven't even rode in a new camaro.
But now know someone near me that has supercharged 2010 SS. But think he is selling it or maybe has sold it.

Anyway if any of you Kelowna guys read this feel free to pm me and we can hook up and talk some cars.I also will likely be looking to find a personal mechanic that can work on my 99 TT and maybe my turbo talons as well. I had some great mechanic buddies back in Regina both were racers and while not ls1 experts and more old school they still were great.
My 99 TT can be a bit of biotch to work on,those turbos are tight in there and make things harder to get to like back spark plugs.
I would like to track and dyno my 99 TT ,it has never had either . I may be tracking a 91 turbo talon that is also back in Regina and will get shipped out here this spring. 97 talon not sure whats up with it,its dead currently with unknown engine problem so may sell it. Would still maybe consider selling the 99 twin turbo this year as well and would replace it with a viper. But no big deal if sell it or not. It is easily the craziest ,fastest car that have ever owned. I confess it can scare me.
Oh and some guy with ls1 f body called me over some parts and vette tires that am selling but didn't get his number to call him back. So if he is on this board or you know the guy forget though his name and what year his ls1 is think it was 99 though? you could have him pm or call me again.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as professional mechanics around here, Cutting Edge is the only one that does high performance domestic stuff that id put any value in. There are tons of smaller shops but they mostly deal with imports.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

At some point over the next year or two i'm hoping to get some of our local members for a drive in their Fbody cars/sports cars for a drive through the mountains with a stop over in Kelowna.

I think a few of us still have a little ways to go with finishing up mods/tuning on our vehicles, but once done, at very least i'll be making my way to the Okanagan with my Z.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
At some point over the next year or two i'm hoping to get some of our local members for a drive in their Fbody cars/sports cars for a drive through the mountains with a stop over in Kelowna.

I think a few of us still have a little ways to go with finishing up mods/tuning on our vehicles, but once done, at very least i'll be making my way to the Okanagan with my Z.
Count me in! The white ghost will be on the road this summer, without any major catastrophic failure (knock on wood), and I would love to make a BC trip through the mountains with it.

Ryan, I could meet up with the group in Lloyd or Edmonton and go from there. Have a stop in Jasper along the way as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there!

I moved to penticton this year been looking for some Fbody fans. I have a 95 lt1 currently in storage becaues it's being annoying and I just bought a 98 ls1 formula.

I think I found a mechanic in penticton that knows his stuff. So far he has been really helpful as we try to put my lt1 into working condition!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have relative in both Penticton and Kelowna

I am just going through a layoff process and trying to find some work in the health care industry...once i sort out a job i'll have for at least the next few months i'll be able to sort out what's possible in terms of road trips.

If i can get the job sorted out, the car put together, and CK to tune the car, i'll be on the road to Kelowna at very least with my STS Fbody

I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Well its middle of April now. Any of you f body guys that have your cars out especially any of you FI guys feel free to contact me and we can go for ride and still thinking might try to get an f body club happening here.

My 99 twin turbo is still back in Regina and starting new job shortly in few weeks most likely at Century 21 so might be pretty busy but still will find the time to do some fun /car stuff. Just not sure when can find the time to go to sask to get my car may have to have buddies drive it out here really don't want to ship it out.
Still want to go to Thunder Mountain and watch some racing or run my cars.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 98 formula out these days. Just took my 95lt1 into my buddies garage to have a full check up done on it... melted wires and some other issues going on. Still setting up a garage so I cant do much at this point.

Penticton is having an awesome festival of ale tomorrow if your in the area.

I know EXACTLY what your dealing with when it comes to that car.... I moved here wtih my 95 back in stettler.. it was a -real- pain getting back out there then getting it here, ended up doing the trip back to back.. like 20h's driving.. soooo long. Regina, arg, I'm from moose jaw originally.. thats fn far to drive.. I doubt you could even make it there in one day....
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DamoclesX
I have my 98 formula out these days. Just took my 95lt1 into my buddies garage to have a full check up done on it... melted wires and some other issues going on. Still setting up a garage so I cant do much at this point.

Penticton is having an awesome festival of ale tomorrow if your in the area.

I know EXACTLY what your dealing with when it comes to that car.... I moved here wtih my 95 back in stettler.. it was a -real- pain getting back out there then getting it here, ended up doing the trip back to back.. like 20h's driving.. soooo long. Regina, arg, I'm from moose jaw originally.. thats fn far to drive.. I doubt you could even make it there in one day....
its a far drive for sure like 16hours non stop. I did drive my z06 with my 15 year old son out here in one day last fall. But normally nice to stop overnight and break the trip up over two days for sure.
Too bad you don't live in Kelowna but Penticton is not that far away . I have been to Vernon several times , stayed there when first came out to scout it for possible living place but it was too small for me and would have bored me to tears. Also bought apartment building in Kelowna so really wanted to be close to it. And just used to bigger city after living in Regina for pretty much my entire life.
I do know a lot about lt1s had 96 ta, 97 ta ws6 and 96z28 . The 97 was mildly modded the 96z28 was pretty heavily modded up.

But in my old age don't really like to work on cars that much prefer to let other people do it but not fond of 100 buck hour shops so normally find and pay for more reasonable private mechanics fact may even fly out my buddies from Regina so they can do some work on my 99 ta for me. Or maybe have them do some stuff to it before go get it or they bring it out. I have had bad luck shipping cars in past ,really bad luck.

Oh just wondering if you have a 98 formula why bother keeping the 95 lt1?
I am not sure when will be in Penticton but you can contact me if you come to Kelowna and we can have a coffee whatever and maybe start talking about f body club.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More BC Kelowna questions