Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Quebec guys, emissions testing on the way.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quebec guys, emissions testing on the way.

Im sure you heard by now, i wonder how they are going to do it. Apparently its gonna be a joint venture with the CAA. Obviously garages are going to have to do the emissions testing as the SAAQ centers are to few to test every car. Phase 1 in 2013 is cars 8 years or older that are going to be resold will have to be tested. Phase 2 is cars 8 years or older will have to be tested regardless if for sale or not and Phase 3 is all cars(new ones as well) will have to be tested. That is it for now and its going to be around $60. Yea!!! what a cash grab.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like in Ontario, it will probably be phased in and the areas to be done will be published with potential dates. You can register your car in a different area (Phase 3 or 4 or whatever) if you're in a phase 1 zone. I did this for years to avoid it by using a PO box as my address. The trouble with this is that your license is registered there so renewals etc will go there, not your house. "Drive Clean" is a scam, waste of resources and the CAA has said as much. I find it hard to believe that they would be willing to partner in this scheme considering their stated position regarding this testing.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

We are going to get so F@#$ed!

You guys have any ideas how to get around it?

I have offroad headers and no cats on a beautiful mint low mileage 2002 SS... and by the looks of it, it will not pass.

Last edited by 35thAnniversaryPhil; 01-14-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: QUEBEC IS A FAILURE
Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
We are going to get so F@#$ed!

You guys have any ideas how to get around it?

I have offload headers and no cats on a beautiful mint low mileage 2002 SS... and by the looks of it, it will not pass.
Im hoping we can get some of that quebec corruption to work for us once, it would be nice. Maybe they would have some common sense like they have the some states in the US. In PA, if you drive your car under 5k miles(8000kms) a year, your exempt from inspection. I mean what are they going to do with all the classic cars and show cars as such that came with emissions equipment? We will see.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Just like in Ontario, it will probably be phased in and the areas to be done will be published with potential dates. You can register your car in a different area (Phase 3 or 4 or whatever) if you're in a phase 1 zone. I did this for years to avoid it by using a PO box as my address. The trouble with this is that your license is registered there so renewals etc will go there, not your house. "Drive Clean" is a scam, waste of resources and the CAA has said as much. I find it hard to believe that they would be willing to partner in this scheme considering their stated position regarding this testing.
This is an excellent idea and I considered doing it because in Northern Ontario theyre emissions exempt. Another option is behave yourself and drive with an expired sticker..
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Teching In

What type of emission testing is proposed? We have had emission testing for 20+ yrs in BC and it has changed as standards and vehicles improved. In BC, any pre-ODB II vehicle has to run a visual and tail pipe/dyno sniff test. On my late model cars (99 SS and some BMWs) only a cursory visual inspection for cats and a code check on the diagnostic port is required, no actual test. If that is what they are planning, anyone with a laptop and tuning software can prevent a vehicle from generating emission fault codes. FWIW, my SS was a full bolt on and cammed LS1 (390+ rwhp) and it easily passed sniff testing when those were still required. I am currently building an LS3 based 427 that is targetted to make ~550 rwhp and still pass a sniff test if necessary. I agree that it is a cash grab, but you can still build some serious hp and pass. Hope you guys get some reasonable options.

Quick Reply: Quebec guys, emissions testing on the way.