Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Need a tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchase a wide band and HP tuners and do it yourself. IMO.

If I heard a single story, let alone dozens I wouldn't be taking my car there.

Roman
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by romanss

Roman
Hey Roman,

I checked out your profile, awesome videos of your car. It's nice to see someone stick with a manual transmission car. Very impressive!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Roman
I would love to buy the software but can't swing it right now.....

Maybe I'll talk to Barry see what he says.

Ajax is kinda far to drive though.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by molson
I would love to buy the software but can't swing it right now.....

Maybe I'll talk to Barry see what he says.

Ajax is kinda far to drive though.
If you can't swing $499 USD for Hp Tuners how are you going to swing the $500 CDN for a tune?
I second the purchase of tuning software. I'd much rather **** up my own car than pay someone else to do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pomp
The only way to find out is when your get your Air/fuel ratio done on the dyno. Kind hard to do if you haven't got a A/F sensor and tuning it yourself you will never get it just right. Invest the money and let a pro do the work on the dyno.
Dyno tuning only gets you a good WOT tune. What about the drivability issues like surging when you put in a new cam, only *** time and tinkering can fix that. There isn't a "pro" out there that spends more than a couple hours max tuning a car and like I said its all WOT tuning to achieve those big dyno numbers that really mean very little.
There are plenty of guys in the GTA with h/c cars installed and tuned by shops and not one of them has yet to run the times I have with my bolt on, stock internals car and home tuning.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brett H
If you can't swing $499 USD for Hp Tuners how are you going to swing the $500 CDN for a tune?
I second the purchase of tuning software. I'd much rather **** up my own car than pay someone else to do it.
Wade did a H/C package on my T/A at FTR and tuned it very well for me i never had any drive issues at all and it is an agressive cam for H/C. I am not sure about Pete K he has never tuned any thing of mine ???. Besides why would you want to blow your **** up ???. Let some one do it that knows what they are doing. Whether its Wade or whoever
Old 05-17-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ram Air T/A
Wade did a H/C package on my T/A at FTR and tuned it very well for me i never had any drive issues at all and it is an agressive cam for H/C. I am not sure about Pete K he has never tuned any thing of mine ???. Besides why would you want to blow your **** up ???. Let some one do it that knows what they are doing. Whether its Wade or whoever
Bretts point was. Why not take the time and do it yourself, rather then pay someone else to do it. You drive the car anyways, you might as well tune it at the same time. The car is driven on the street (where it should be tuned) and not on a dyno(where it gets tuned). You more than likely won't be blowing stuff up if you take the proper precautions.

Roman
Old 05-17-2006, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pomp
The only way to find out is when your get your Air/fuel ratio done on the dyno. Kind hard to do if you haven't got a A/F sensor and tuning it yourself you will never get it just right. Invest the money and let a pro do the work on the dyno.
As long as the dyno is calibrated... There are certain dynos in the city where the A/F is off by a mile! You leave at 12.9 and go to another dyno and its really 13.9:1!! I've seen straight motor cars burn pistons up! Maybe its the years of carbon & grease built up/caked on on the A/F meter that has never been cleaned affecting the true numbers. Like I said call Barry at evolution....Email me if you have any questions.

I understand what Roman is saying, but if totally a newbie how would they know how to change the proper scales or tables?? It would be hard... You would need somebody there with experience for sure!

Last edited by SLED28; 05-17-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brett H
It's not just the $$$$ for the software you're looking at. He'll also need a wideband and not everyone has a laptop. If you're on a budget these things can add up and before you know it you have $1k usd wrapped up in it. There is also a learning curve and some people don't have the time or patience to dig in. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
It's not just the $$$$ for the software you're looking at. He'll also need a wideband and not everyone has a laptop. If you're on a budget these things can add up and before you know it you have $1k usd wrapped up in it. There is also a learning curve and some people don't have the time or patience to dig in. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Exactly!!!

I need a laptop $300-$400 used
Hp tuners pro is $650
Lc-1 wide band is $175
That U.S. dollars. (don't forget taxes and brokerage fees also)

I would love to get into tuning as I have the time (no kids) and the patience however it might be a little much ($) for me @ this point.

Maybe next year I could afford it but I really just want to start enjoying my car.

BTW autoworx said they do a dyno tune and a drivability (street)tune @ the same time.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Mark
Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

I have the new HP Tuners (MPVI) Pro and I'm waiting for my WB kit to arrive. I will say there is a steep learning curve, but if you're careful and go slowly you can get good results.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6-SPD4ME
Hey Roman,

I checked out your profile, awesome videos of your car. It's nice to see someone stick with a manual transmission car. Very impressive!
That SS hood looks very familiar.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hooper
That SS hood looks very familiar.
I hear it was adopted by a nice family though.

I have one to fill it's place.

Roman
Old 05-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I hear it was adopted by a nice family though.
It did. I'm getting lots of compliments on it.
I have one to fill it's place.

Roman
Looking forward to seeing it.

Quick Reply: Need a tune