Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Need a tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a tune

Doing H/C and need to find some one local to tune my car.

I am in the Toronto area (Barrie).

I talked to Wade @ Autoworx but I have only heard bad things about them (A.R.E.) on this board.

Any ideas ???
Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

evolution motorsports in ajax, ask for Barry. he has been tuneing ls engine for ever

www.evolutionmotorsports.ca
Old 04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be afraid of Autoworx, they do an amazing job of tuning LS1s! Pete K from Autoworx has tuned my car a few times and every time the car has come back feeling much stronger than before. He not only knows how to get more peak horsepower out of it, but also knows how to improve the part throttle driveability of the car very well too. So you get benefits from the tune all the time, not just at full throttle.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by platinum
evolution motorsports in ajax, ask for Barry. he has been tuneing ls engine for ever

www.evolutionmotorsports.ca
I met Barry @ redline....we (corvette forum) had a dyno day there.

Seemed like a good guy.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Patman
Don't be afraid of Autoworx, they do an amazing job of tuning LS1s! Pete K from Autoworx has tuned my car a few times and every time the car has come back feeling much stronger than before. He not only knows how to get more peak horsepower out of it, but also knows how to improve the part throttle driveability of the car very well too. So you get benefits from the tune all the time, not just at full throttle.
Thanks for the response....

I read a thread on here about A.R.E and they didn't have anything positive to say.
They mentioned Wade and Nick specifically.

Maybe things are better now.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
8 Second Club

I thought you were gonna get HPtuners with Mark and tune it yourself? It's not that hard-just takes some time. What's your combo?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Pete K. at Autoworx will do an excellent job tuning your ride.
Like Patman said don't worry about him, or be afraid to go there. Pete knows what he's doing and he will give you an honest evaluation.

Wildmouse
Old 04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortech
I thought you were gonna get HPtuners with Mark and tune it yourself? It's not that hard-just takes some time. What's your combo?
I talked to Mark and last I heard he was waiting for a response from HP tuners....
Unlike these other guys I can't wait very long to do this because I won't be able to drive my car until it is tuned.They can still enjoy thier cars so I get the feeling it really isn't a priority for them.
I would love to get the tuning software and learn to use it.....I just can't afford to do it by myself @ this point.
My combo is : TR 224/224 114 LSA
Ls6 intake
Dynatech long tubes
Dart 205's
ASP pulley
ported oil pump from ECS
hardened push rods from TR
LS2 timing chain
Nothing extreme.
I thought about buying a used tuning package but they are pretty hard to come by.
If nothing happens soon I will have to bite the bullet and pay for a tune.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildmouse
Pete K. at Autoworx will do an excellent job tuning your ride.
Like Patman said don't worry about him, or be afraid to go there. Pete knows what he's doing and he will give you an honest evaluation.

Wildmouse
I feel better knowing that others have had success with Autoworx....
I didn't want them ( or anyone ) after finding out I did the work myself to intentionally blow up my motor and say that it was my fault because I didn't know what I was doing.

I have heard stories of cars being dangerously lean and running all kinds of timing to achieve good numbers.
I also don't want them to disable my CEL ,lock my PCM and have to drill my TB
Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 PM
8 Second Club

I think Mark is waiting to find out if the USB version is shipping yet. Just a quick look at your mods and the car should be very easy to tune with a cam of that size. If you decide to get your own software pm me-I can tell what parameters to change and what to look for when tuning. one thing i did not see on list of mods was some injectors-that is something that you will need for sure. Some SVO 30's will do the trick.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what year and model is your car?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by augiedog77
what year and model is your car?
It's a '98 corvette (6- speed)

I didn't think I would need injectors with that set up.

Thanks for the offer re tuning. It's a little overwhelming to start from scratch.

I thought as long as I had the software I could down load a tune from a bin repository...It would at least get me started.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

The only way to find out is when your get your Air/fuel ratio done on the dyno. Kind hard to do if you haven't got a A/F sensor and tuning it yourself you will never get it just right. Invest the money and let a pro do the work on the dyno.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not had any problems with Autoworx, Both Pete and Wade seemed to be nice guys (I know I read the horror stories too). They have been very reasonable putting up with some of my problems with the homemade kit I have.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Teching In

I have an Autoworx motor (355 LT1, stage 2 heads). PeteK was a bit aggressive with my tuning. If I run anything short of 94 octane gas the motor will audibly detonate. I am going to have to get it retuned with a bit less timing and hope that the motor isn't hurt.

I'm also going to have to do my own part throttle tuning as my car is still kind of rough with the cam I have (230/230/560 on 112).

If you take it to Autoworx be sure to specify what type of fuel that you plan to use most frequently, otherwise you may have the same problem as I do.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XXV ANN
I have an Autoworx motor (355 LT1, stage 2 heads). PeteK was a bit aggressive with my tuning. If I run anything short of 94 octane gas the motor will audibly detonate. I am going to have to get it retuned with a bit less timing and hope that the motor isn't hurt.

I'm also going to have to do my own part throttle tuning as my car is still kind of rough with the cam I have (230/230/560 on 112).

If you take it to Autoworx be sure to specify what type of fuel that you plan to use most frequently, otherwise you may have the same problem as I do.
Great advice!! Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XXV ANN

That's why I had my tuning done with 91 in the tank. That way when it's hot in the summer I have the option of going with 94.

I've heard rumors that Sunoco might be dropping their 94 octane though. I know some Sunocos in the US already have.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 AM
8 Second Club

You can only tune for WOT on a dyno-to tune for stop and go and other conditions you would be at all day. You should only go to the dyno after you get your driveability sorted out and all your fuel trims with in range.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:23 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Things I've broke:

3 trannies
3 rearends
4 clutches
Hmm sounds like you and I have things in common

My two cents on the tuning? I'm getting HP and gonna do it myself. Never tuned a dang thing through a laptop before but I have jetted many a carb in my day. As for dyno tuning??? Well that little catch phrase sounds great and all but tuning at the track works just as well if not better.

after all.... You cant race a dyno but you can race the clock.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Wade from Autoworx is great to deal with. I've had no problems.

Quick Reply: Need a tune