Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

*** new L92 blocks are junk***

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down *** new L92 blocks are junk***

***6.2 L-92/LS-3 blocks are "GARBAGE"***

I have just purchased the new L-92/LS-3 6.2 ltr block from GM and the casting and machining is PATHETIC to say the least!!! GM should be ashamed to release such garbage in quality control. I am on my third returned block from GM performance parts. Each block has come with the cylinders cast in a different position, so when the boring process was done at the factory,some of the cylinders are @.120 thick on one side and .040 on the other side!! Its as if the liners were just laid in the casting, not being held in place and then when the aluminum was cast around them, they moved. The bores are probably symetrical because they are indexed by a computer but the liners are not. Then theres the mains... You would not believe the amount of deburring that has to be done, its as if they ran the boring bar through at high speed leaving a .020 razor edge at one side of the mains.. and then they don,t even remove it! Just think they are using this block on the new high end trucks as well as...rumor has it.. the new supercharged Corvette! I don't know who is inspecting these blocks before shipping but they should be FIRED and i hope someone that has a friend of a friend that works in GM QA management reads this before they have a complete recall after these engines fail in the field. The liner was so thin on one block that if you added any power enhancment you would probably blow out the WALL.We are now on our third block and are trying to get a hold of a pre inspected block prior to shipping. Time will tell if we get a decent one to work with!!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Teching In

They were purchased right through the parts counter at a GM dealer who is my client, blocks arrived on each order in 1.5 days. The holes are symetrical as well as round except they were bored to one side which means the cylinders were placed in the wrong possition in the casting process. there was probably enough wall thickness on the sleeve as cast, but when bored to the proper dimensions /location, it took more material from one side of sleeve then the other and not only front to back but from top to bottom on the deck and the upper and lower of the sleeve, we'll try to get a pic and post...you would not believe it! I reallyhope this raises some ****, at least then i might get a decent block to work with for $1900.00
Old 12-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to here about your problems, Max.

What are you going to do? Did you finally get a decent block?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Still at logger heads with GM brass they haven't got one good block to send after 3 weeks!!! can you believe this ****, I said just send me a 7.0 block since it doesnt cost them any extra... but its gonna cost me tonns since i have to get new pistons and send out to re balance, but they probably can't find a true one of those either from the nightmares i've heard about guys pulling crate engines apart and finding casting sand on the bearings cause the line didn't flush the block enough. Thank god for the patiance of the guys at Autoworx who are building the project and cought all the flaws in the blocks before hand.
max
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

I hope they don't have the same problem with the new LSX blocks that are due in march
Old 12-21-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rede
I hope they don't have the same problem with the new LSX blocks that are due in march
Shouldn't since LSX is iron.

Quick Reply: *** new L92 blocks are junk***