Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Emissions requirements

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions requirements

Hey guys, I'm new in here and I've got a few questions to the Canadians, more specifically people in Ontario.

Basically I'm looking at bringing over a TA or a Z28 from the US and I'm obviously going to need to get it e-tested and such, but I'm not entirely sure about getting a good setup that will pass, or what the requirements are in order t get it to pass.

I've seen a lot of guys who have taken off the catalytic converters and taken out the egr valve and air pump...will I have to put all of those back on in order for it to pass? I'm sure I'll have to put catalytic converters on it, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. Also, would you be able to have longtube headers, or are those right out? How hard are the cars to get to pass usually?

I might put up some more detailed questions later, I'm just hoping some of you guys might have a bit more insight into the whole e-test setup thing since most of you have likely done it before.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Hey Mr.K.... Inorder to pass the visual inspection yes you will need to reinstall all Emission replated stuff.As for longtubes if they accept the A.I.R. tube then they should be ok..as for Cats and stuff yes you will need those..Keep inmind even if you do install all the proper emission stuff you still might not pass,cam or other mods could be the issue..In ontario the car must pass emission test in order to transfer owner ship..Antoher thing to watch out for is ensure the car has all the proper safety equipment such as Daytime running lights,KPH dash thing,and also frence/english stickers on it...For more info on all these topics contact the Ministry of Transportation
Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rev'N High
Hey Mr.K.... Inorder to pass the visual inspection yes you will need to reinstall all Emission replated stuff.As for longtubes if they accept the A.I.R. tube then they should be ok..as for Cats and stuff yes you will need those..Keep inmind even if you do install all the proper emission stuff you still might not pass,cam or other mods could be the issue..In ontario the car must pass emission test in order to transfer owner ship..Antoher thing to watch out for is ensure the car has all the proper safety equipment such as Daytime running lights,KPH dash thing,and also frence/english stickers on it...For more info on all these topics contact the Ministry of Transportation
Yikes.

With the transfer of ownership thing, I'm planning on meeting a guy in the States and taking the car home...so basically that isn't possible, or I'd just have to get it all done before licensing it?

Guess I'm going to need to get some different headers or trade someone or something, because I'm pretty sure the longtubes I'm getting aren't e-test friendly =(.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rev'N High
You might the right person to ask this. Does Ontario really require a visual inspection? I went to a local emissions only test place with my Grand National and after passing, the guy asked me what the giant white alternator was for (the turbo). I told it was a turbo and he then asked me if it was something I added, I told him it was factory and he didn't believe me at first. I would be concerned about this guy trying to do a visual inspection. Are there specs given to the shops to work to? This guy also plugged his own gas cap into the machine instead of mine.

Second question, Is Ontario going to go to OBD-II testing for newer cars as opposed to the dynamometer tests?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Launching!

In terms of a visual inspection, I've never found it to be an issue. I've got no EGR on my car, I've passed the two times I've had to Drive Clean, at two different facilities. I do have the air pump still on my headers, but don't think it would have made a difference.

Now cats on the other hand are a different story.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bugblndr
In terms of a visual inspection, I've never found it to be an issue. I've got no EGR on my car, I've passed the two times I've had to Drive Clean, at two different facilities. I do have the air pump still on my headers, but don't think it would have made a difference.

Now cats on the other hand are a different story.
My heads and cam LS1 with SLP headers and Random Tech hi-flow cats has absolutely no problem at all passing the sniffer test here in Ontario. I bump up the idle to 1200 rpm (for the curb idle test) and the car passes everything with flying colours - none of the readings are even close to the set limits.

Best regardSS,

Elie

98 Camaro SS
... a few mods
SSOA/OMSC
Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sselie
My heads and cam LS1 with SLP headers and Random Tech hi-flow cats has absolutely no problem at all passing the sniffer test here in Ontario. I bump up the idle to 1200 rpm (for the curb idle test) and the car passes everything with flying colours - none of the readings are even close to the set limits.

Best regardSS,

Elie

98 Camaro SS
... a few mods
SSOA/OMSC
Just curious what your cam specs are to make it past. A buddy was refused a test due to to high an idle at around 1450 RPM. It was a bad intake gasket in his case.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BJM
Just curious what your cam specs are to make it past. A buddy was refused a test due to to high an idle at around 1450 RPM. It was a bad intake gasket in his case.
I run a comp cam, 232/234 .595/.598 112 LSA. I don't set my idle quite as high as sselie, but it also needs a little more timing and less fuel.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BJM
You might the right person to ask this. Does Ontario really require a visual inspection? I went to a local emissions only test place with my Grand National and after passing, the guy asked me what the giant white alternator was for (the turbo). I told it was a turbo and he then asked me if it was something I added, I told him it was factory and he didn't believe me at first. I would be concerned about this guy trying to do a visual inspection. Are there specs given to the shops to work to? This guy also plugged his own gas cap into the machine instead of mine.

Second question, Is Ontario going to go to OBD-II testing for newer cars as opposed to the dynamometer tests?
As these guys have stated visual inspection at the facilties really don't seem to be an issue unless you get a tester that knows his stuff..Now if MOE were to pull you over then that would be a different story all together...
If protct Air were to find out that the tester used his own gas cap for the test the shop and himslelf would have been fined and possilby suspended..

As for OBD-II testing there have been lots of talk about that but so far nothing has been put into motion...They are also pushing for the use of fake E-tests to be a federal offence
Old 12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BJM
I've got a pretty mild cam with a 114 LSA - I can't recall the other numbers off the top of my head and I'm not at home right now...
I do know there is an upper limit at which the idle can be set at for the test- you're right. Off the top of my head it might be 1250 RPM - but again - I'm not sure as I don't have my info in front of me. I do remember that my setting was pretty close to the limit...
Hope this helps.

Best regardSSS,

Elie
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another cam that will pass is the following:

I'm running a 224/224 114 LSA 581/581 and passed without any issues. This was using the factory ypipe with cats.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Ottawa, and both places that I have taken the cars has been fine. Although there were no mods etc. their visual inspection was - well they didn't do anything. It wouldn't have mattered if it had cats etc.

If you really do need to pass, perhaps try some race fuel. Everyone who does that has passed that I know of...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pesticide
Another cam that will pass is the following:

I'm running a 224/224 114 LSA 581/581 and passed without any issues. This was using the factory ypipe with cats.
That's the same cam as mine, I believe. I passed my last emissions test with flying colours. I have me idle set at 925 RPM.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they eliminated the visual inspection for the testers but the road side testers know what should and shouldn't be there. My brothers SS passed with the cheaTR and the egr turned off. Get the seller to buy the correct headers and provide all the necassary parts to keep the car legal and your headaches at a minimum

Quick Reply: Emissions requirements