Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

06 GMC Sierra 6.0 Carbed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010 | 04:04 PM
Launching!

Default 06 GMC Sierra 6.0 Carbed

Hi I'm in SW MO. and am an old man wanting to start drag racing again after being away from the track for 30 years. So I took my 06 pickup with a 4.3 V6 and put a set of 4.10 in the back a set of shorty headers (which I had never heard of ) Supposed to be able to uncap or open headers. Anyway A bigger TB and a 100 shot of NOS. Went 14.50 @ 93 MPH. Of course that wasn't fast enough so I got a 6.0 out of a wrecked 1 ton. Got a comp cam (224/230 dur-581/588 lift) And decided to carb it. Ordered a edelbrock performer and msd. Then all my problems started. Trans,gauges,and fuel system wouldn't work.
Its a long story new TCI trans and converter. All new Autometer guages and re did the fuel system. Carb was a 850 quick fuel. 3 Days spun a rod brging and a cam brging. Sent it to a local race engine builder and spent 4 K with new forged everything except crank.(ran out of money.)Got it back and couldn't get quick fuel leaned out so had to order another carb. This one from PRO SYSTEMS and it is right on. Got the timing set and the rev limiter set at 7000. It really ran...... Had about 30 miles on it change the oil and filter and headed to the track. 4 miles from home heard some noise looked at the oil pressure and it was dropping. went home.
Engine is now in Houston TX. with LME and I should have it back in a couple of weeks. It is now a 410 Stroker.With 11.0 to 1 comp. It should run fairly well. I will take some time and put 2 or 3 hundred miles on it and make sure all is good Then hit it wit 250 shot of NITROUS. It has been a real test on my nerves,but more so on my wonderful wifes nerves. She says if it runs and stays running I can start sleeping in the house again. Dam barn doesn't have any heat.
Old 12-28-2010 | 04:27 PM
8 Second Club

good luck, barn is probably a little better than the dog house, but nicer be beside the wife, lol
Old 12-28-2010 | 04:33 PM
Launching!

Yea and a little bigger. Like your Camero Of course I like RED.
Old 12-28-2010 | 09:52 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Damn, i would have burned that bitch to the ground with that kind of luck.

Anyway, i have a bone stock 6.0 nailing 7200 RPM with a cam and i have not had an issue, i am sure it is on a limited time possible, but till then, i just keep beating on it, the nitrous will be on it soon as well.
Old 12-29-2010 | 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sr.
Yea and a little bigger. Like your Camero Of course I like RED.
Hey..if you like RED, you're my kind of guy . Sorry about the barn thing. I can also relate to the old guy who is still interested in drag racing, LOL. Where at in SW Missouri? Ron
Old 12-29-2010 | 08:12 PM
Launching!

Hey Zone I never felt like burning it. But I'm sure my better half did. Matter of fact, about 2 weeks ago the shop that helps me burned down. I had taken my pickup home a few weeks before that. He lost his wifes V12 Mercedes and 6 other customer cars. One a twin turbo Lotus and a 68 Charger that had just been redone. and a lot of smoke damage to other classics.... 70 GTO . 67 Chevelle. 70 Baracuda newer Vet with twin turbo LS Show Car.

Hi Ron , I'm in the Joplin area Carl Junction to be exact. Mokan raceway is just 8 miles from my garage. Really like your pickup. Hope to have my engine back in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to put about 500 miles on it before I really hit it hard. After I make sure its set up right I'll get the Nitrous working. Heh-Heh. I've got a progressive controller so I can program so much off the line the rest to kick in at 1 to 2 seconds later. Do you race your pickup? What is under the hood, what kind of times ?
Steve
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

That truck ought to be a lot of fun to drive and race. I know Mo-Kan well. Just to show how old I am..I was there the day they opened in 1962, LOL. I raced various Mopars for several years including a clone '62 Plymouth Max Wedge when most tracks in this area ran under the old AHRA banner. The little red '34 truck actually has a Mopar 340 small block in it. I used to race it a lot at Ozark International Raceway SE of Springfield, Mo. Bet you know where that's at. It was a great bracket racer....just drive it in the gate...race and then turn on the AC and head home. I got hooked on these LS engines and now am trying to get my 6.0 powered '34 coupe to run to suit me, so I can do the same with it. Have fun with your truck and maybe we'll run into each other one of these days. Ron