Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

1970 cutlass supreme build 6.0 LQ4 carbed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 cutlass supreme build 6.0 LQ4 carbed!

Hey guys well my 350 olds rocket finally blew the head gasket.Rather than rebuilding it i have decided to make the swap .But I want to get an Idea of whats involved.I have a 70 cutlass supreme and really want a 6.0L,but it seems like only the 5.3L is available so is the 6.0 worth the wait?

Anyway I want to do the most basic set-up basically TH350,No A/C,stock 6.0 with the Edelbroke Performer intake 7118 intake kit.My question is I want to start gathering parts and want to know exactly what is it that I will need so please chip in

1.Will I need a computer or 6.0l stock wiring harness?
2.special fuel pump or modified fuel system?
3.Will i need to change anything to the engine as far as heads,covers or cam due to the carb kit?
4.I know I need a tranny adapter but which one?
5.How expensive and time consuming would this be not counting the cost of the engine? and considering I would be doing all the work.
6.would i have to do anything to the rear end or tranny?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Teching In

1) If its the edelbrock kit with control box then you will not need the 6.0 harness or stock computer.
2) Holley blue or other electric fuel pump will be fine
3) I would change the cam for more power while you have the engine out but its not a must. The only item you may look at no is if you are going to run mechanical or electric gauges. Go ahead and mount the senders.
4) You can get the 4l80e flywheel and spacer or the hughes spacer for the torque converter. Just elongate the holes on the flexplate for the torque converter bolts
5)Expense depends on what you already have? Try the conversions area there is a sticky covering expense. Time is another variable that depends a lot on the person. A week with all the parts and tools should be sufficent if you have done all your homework.
6) No adjustments needed to rearend or trans you may have to alter the drive shaft though if new combo is shorter or longer than your old setup.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Default re

Originally Posted by 6.0 1955
1) If its the edelbrock kit with control box then you will not need the 6.0 harness or stock computer.
2) Holley blue or other electric fuel pump will be fine
3) I would change the cam for more power while you have the engine out but its not a must. The only item you may look at no is if you are going to run mechanical or electric gauges. Go ahead and mount the senders.
4) You can get the 4l80e flywheel and spacer or the hughes spacer for the torque converter. Just elongate the holes on the flexplate for the torque converter bolts
5)Expense depends on what you already have? Try the conversions area there is a sticky covering expense. Time is another variable that depends a lot on the person. A week with all the parts and tools should be sufficent if you have done all your homework.
6) No adjustments needed to rearend or trans you may have to alter the drive shaft though if new combo is shorter or longer than your old setup.
Hope this helps.
As I mentioned im stuck right now as to which engine to choose.I really want a 6.0 but seems like im only going to be able to get a 5.3l,how much of difference in power are we looking at?if i were to do a cam swap on the 5.3 how much power would that net and would i have to change the valve setup as well?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried searching car-part.com for a 6.0?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Teching In

In stock form there is about 30-40 Hp difference depending on the year of engines you are comparing. I like the 6.0 platform the best but if you plan on driving more then the 5.3 will be good. If you really want a 6.0 then wait and keep checking local salvage yards and Internet classifieds.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6.0 1955
In stock form there is about 30-40 Hp difference depending on the year of engines you are comparing. I like the 6.0 platform the best but if you plan on driving more then the 5.3 will be good. If you really want a 6.0 then wait and keep checking local salvage yards and Internet classifieds.
how is the 5.3l be better for daily driving other than mpg?
If i where to get a 5.3 could i possibly use the stock fan /clutch system or do I need to go electric fan rout?

Quick Reply: 1970 cutlass supreme build 6.0 LQ4 carbed!