Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Jetting my Ls-1, ran poorly on first drive.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting my Ls-1, ran poorly on first drive.

Well, after 2 yrs of building this street rod, I finally got to drive it yesterday, and the performance was definitely far less than expected! The car only weighs 1800 lbs, and couldn't even get it to burn the tires. It's got an 02 ls-1 w/ TEA stage 2.5 heads, the cam is 230/230 612/591 w/ an LSA of 111=2, a vic jr with a Holley 750 DP. Its got a TH-350 with quite a bit of work & a 3000 rpm stall, and a 10 bolt with 3.90 gears in it. Something doesn't seem right with it, the plugs are completely black, and when you hit it hard, it hesitates, pops a little, and just doesn't seem to pull like it should. IT's also got an Edelbrock controller with pill#6 in it. I have the mixture screws out 1/1/2 turns, but not really sure where to start looking for issues. Can somebody give me some ideas for jetting this thing? I would think this thing should be scary to drive!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're not sure how to read spark plugs, i would first google that, it will also give you tips on adjusting your holley. Secondly, if you want a more scientific approach purchase a wideband 02 sensor and gauge setup then we can help you better. If your idle it too rich then turn in the mixture screws, use a vacuum gauge to set with the motor hot, to achieve highest vacuum reading. Next tip in hesitation is probably not enough squirter or pump cam, some guys like me have swapped to a 50cc front pump shot and this has helped with a brown cam and 40 squirter size. With a 30cc shot kit like installed from holley, anything over 35 size won't matter because the shot isn't large enough.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy396
Well, after 2 yrs of building this street rod, I finally got to drive it yesterday, and the performance was definitely far less than expected! The car only weighs 1800 lbs, and couldn't even get it to burn the tires. It's got an 02 ls-1 w/ TEA stage 2.5 heads, the cam is 230/230 612/591 w/ an LSA of 111=2, a vic jr with a Holley 750 DP. Its got a TH-350 with quite a bit of work & a 3000 rpm stall, and a 10 bolt with 3.90 gears in it. Something doesn't seem right with it, the plugs are completely black, and when you hit it hard, it hesitates, pops a little, and just doesn't seem to pull like it should. IT's also got an Edelbrock controller with pill#6 in it. I have the mixture screws out 1/1/2 turns, but not really sure where to start looking for issues. Can somebody give me some ideas for jetting this thing? I would think this thing should be scary to drive!
Throttle linkage letting the carb open fully? Don't laugh! I once helped a guy at the dragstrip who had a big dual carb setup that could'nt fall out of a tree. Carbs were opening about a third of the way. Picked up almost two seconds after a little adjustment, LOL. Fuel pressure set right?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The Edelbrock box sucks as far as tuning(lack there of), so i will have to say you have some serious carb tuning, how far will it foot brake to right now? Mine was doing the same and the carb was not right, i threw a VS 750 on and it is fine.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

The carb came with 70s in the front and 80s in the rear, I put a set of 66s in the front, and now atleast the plugs aren't black and covered with soot. still seems to stumble pretty bad when I hit the throttle hard. Not sure what ya mean by how far will it footbrake? The throttle is definitely opening all the way, and still feels way slower than I think it should for the Hp to weight. I have pill # 6 in it, and Edelbrock tells me it has 22 degrees of initial timing, and 36 degrees total. Does that sound acceptable?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

With your set up, the car should be very quick. You should be saying "Wow! I am impressed". Because you are not, I think something fundamental is wrong.

When a car does not perform up to standards like this on a new build, I wonder about cam timing, ignition timing and fuel system.

I don't think it is your ignition. Even if the pill timing curves are not "ideal", the car should still run hard. I would not be looking there for your problem.

The next easiest thing to check is the fuel system. Tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and make sure you are maintaining about 6lbs all through the RPM range at WOT. If you are, the easiest test is to swap out the carb for another. If that is not an option, then the smart money these days is on hooking up a wide-band to check the mixture.

Once the fuel system is completely right, then you might run a compression check. I suggest this just in case the cam degree is off substantially. If it is, you can have low cranking compression. If this is the case, the motor will be a dog no matter what you do until it is fixed.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get someone to stand behind car when you stomp it. Go full throttle, when it stumbles, ask your buddy if it blew out black smoke or no smoke. Black smoke = too much squirt and will cause a bog. No smoke = not enough squirt and will cause a stumble. Like xpn said, if you gone up to 35 squirt and still not enough fuel, youll need to upgrade to 50cc pump. Also, may not even be a fuel problem. If your alt not working(with all the spitting and popping) or you just on straight battery you may not be getting enough juice to the igntion to fire the fuel, hence the black plugs.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Updates?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys, sorry it takes so long for me to get back, but I live in upstate NY & work in Boston, so I can only play with this thing for 2 days while Im home. I think with all your guys help, I got it atleast in the ball park. First of all, I adjusted the float level on the carb, but when I did, I accidentally ripped that gasket on the top side of the adjuster and it went into the needle & made it stick open, that's why the plugs were so black. Secondly, the tranny wasn't down shifting when I stepped on it, so not only was it flooding, but it was in way too high of a gear. I got the carb in good working order, ended up going back up to 68's on the primaries and 78's in the secondaries and now the plugs look good. I manually put it in first and stepped on it yesterday, and now it's hard to keep it going in a straight line! It really put a smile on my face, and now my wife is scared to get in it with me!....LOL. I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to help me out! PS, I'm ordering the MSD unit this week, just not sure which reluctor I have in my motor, but as soon as I know, Im gonna get it on the way.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

An 02 LS1 is a 24X reluctor engine. You need the MSD 6010 unit.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear you got it pulling hard...but you made the right choice buying the msd box. It allows u to custom tune you timing and map which will help your car greatly. I am also having bogging issuess off the launch of my car. I think I need to add a 50cc in the front from what I been told.