Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

hood clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood clearance

I have a 2000 Trans Am and I wanting to go with a carb. What issues am I going to have with fitment and what is my best option for a hood? I know I can get an extended cowl from VFN. Is there any other hoods that I can look in to, if I wanted to keep a more of a stockish look? I have done a lot of searches without much luck.

Last edited by UrSmked; 12-09-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what setup do you wanna run? you can make anything fit with a cutting wheel lol, thats how i always look at things, can i ask why you wanna switch to a carb?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Its a LS2 bored .30 over (408) with a vic jr. intake, ported l92's, hydraulic roller setup built to handle about a 150 shot. I have not bought my carb yet. I'm switching over, because of the easier ability to tune the car and its going to be less street friendly. More directed towards a track car but still have the luxury of pulling it out on the weekends. I have tubular suspension all the way around, manual rack, 9 inch rear w/ spool, etc.

Aside from the VFN hoods that extend all the way back to the windshield, I was wondering if I could use a different hood that would allow clearance for the carb and filter. Something that maybe still looks somewhat stock without having a hood that extends all the way back to the windshield. I just don't know if any of those other hoods on VFN's website will clear the carb setup....
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only hood that will clear a carb setup in a TA is the extended VFN. You can buy something else but you'll have to cut the back of it and the air cleaner will stick out of it
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A Victor Jr, Nitrous plate, and a 4150 950cfm carb clears under a SS hood, But some cutting had to be done.. And the motor is just a .30 over? Aftermarket crank im assuming as well?. I ask since .30 over, 6.125 rods and stock crank is 370 not 408..And if you wont be driving it much no need for a filter(IMO). Just put a cap on it when sitting. But if you plan to drive to the track or something then yeah filter but then I doubt you will fit all that under the stock hood..
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

I will be doing some street driving with it, so I will need a filter. Its a 4 inch stroke crank. It is not going to be just a track car though, so I guess I just need to get the VFN extended hood...Thanks for the insight.