Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

map sensor find

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plugging in the map sensor should do nothing to idle, UNLESS you have the map table in the MSD box programmed
Old 05-28-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The display on the MSD software tells you what vac it is reading and what total timing it is applying. Should be a simple matter to plug it in and see what is happening. You can modify the MAP table with the engine running and watch what happens to the motor as you do.

If you have never hooked up a lap top or swapped out timing pills then I think the box defaults to something like pill #3. that should be applying 6 degrees of advance at idle. In that case pluging in the MAP sensor should cause timing to advance which should increase your idle RPM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The display on the MSD software tells you what vac it is reading and what total timing it is applying. Should be a simple matter to plug it in and see what is happening. You can modify the MAP table with the engine running and watch what happens to the motor as you do.

If you have never hooked up a lap top or swapped out timing pills then I think the box defaults to something like pill #3. that should be applying 6 degrees of advance at idle. In that case pluging in the MAP sensor should cause timing to advance which should increase your idle RPM.
With any of the 6 pills, if I connect the map sensor to the msd box the engine rpms drop slightly as if the ignition is being retarded. Same as if you were to disconnect a vacuum advance canister on a distributor. 6010 is new,, haven't hooked up a lap top to it yet. just trying the different pills to see. Idle cleans up abit more with pills 4 or 5. Probably due to 15 degrees instead of 12 degrees initial. But plug the map into the pigtail and idle drops.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone catch the fact that he says 6010 box with an ls2? Its not going to run. Wrong crank reluctor wheel tooth count.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad67ls
Did anyone catch the fact that he says 6010 box with an ls2? Its not going to run. Wrong crank reluctor wheel tooth count.
That's true. But a 6010 box won't plug into an LS2. The connectors are wrong. I bought the wrong box initially so I learned the hard way.

cuda620, you need to hook up a lap top and see what is happening.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

That's true. But a 6010 box won't plug into an LS2. The connectors are wrong. I bought the wrong box initially so I learned the hard way.

He also needs to pull out that timing pill, throw it in the trash, and build his own timing map. I did have a link to a good pressure/vacuum chart but seem to have lost it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Here is a graph I did in Excel, that shows vacuum vs psi.
Attached Thumbnails map sensor find-hgv-psi-chart.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
8 Second Club

Agreed, get a laptop plugged in and ditch the pills
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default 6010 will work on LS2

Actually, it an 08 LS3 from a Denalli/ Escalade. All variable valve timing been deleted. 24 ct reluctor installed, front matching cam sensor. Like o5 corvette. Carbed LSX intake, Big Q-jet from 454 dually, recalibrated. Lingenfelter stage III heads,All aluminum,,Comp cams xer273hr cam,LS 7 rockers with roller trunnion kit,,etc,,etc,,and 6010 MSD running presently on pill #3 with 10.5 compression and 93 octane.
Trying to figure out how to program an which program for my 6010. So as you can see,,with the right planning a 6010 will plug into an LS2/LS3. Been driving it bout a week now. Starts good on 12 degrees,then up to 20,like on pill 3. Spoke to MSD tech a few times and they said a map sensor without programming the box actually RETARDS the timing if map sensor is just plugged into the connector with a pill. map advance is applied as a default using the pills and do NOT connect a map sensor unless you laptop it and create your own curve . Problem is when using the pills as they are the extra timing ,,be it 6,8, or 4 degrees is constant in addition to your pill supplied total and will not drop out. Therefore you could be over advancing you engine. So if you run a pill,,what it supplies is what you get and do not run a map or you will retard you timing by as much. to run a map sensor all timing must be programmed without a pill. And if you plug a pill in after you program you curve,,initial total,advance, and map/vacuum advance the pill will overide AND delete your programming efforts.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default timing curve

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hard to tell from the angle, how it mounts. The only ones I've seen plug into a hole with a rubber seal. Best to get one from a J/Y late model GM truck so the plug is the same. I bought one new and it was $57.00!
Hey s10. Awhile back during a conversation you posted for someone a graph that showed you timing and map curve that you set up. I thought I saved it but cannot find it and I wanted to try it on my setup if you wouldn't mind reposting it.. Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you got thru the work of changing the reluctor when all you needed was a different box .
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Why???????????

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Why would you got thru the work of changing the reluctor when all you needed was a different box .
Got alot of it that way. Didn't change the reluctor. Someone else did. Isn't that hard with engine torn down anyway. Specially with other mods. Didn't cost me a thing and would run the same even if it was 58.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

Good to know about the map retarding timing if a programmed curve has not been done.
I have NEVER ran mine without a custom curve, so I did not run into this.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Per MSD tech: " If a map sensor is connected while using any of the pills,timing will retard by amount shown on instructions. pills have default map advance programmed in,,Without a map sensor connected.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda620
Hey s10. Awhile back during a conversation you posted for someone a graph that showed you timing and map curve that you set up. I thought I saved it but cannot find it and I wanted to try it on my setup if you wouldn't mind reposting it.. Thanks
Sure thing:

Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cuda620
Per MSD tech: " If a map sensor is connected while using any of the pills,timing will retard by amount shown on instructions. pills have default map advance programmed in,,Without a map sensor connected.
OK so the 6° listed in the map advance table of the instruction sheets (see page 6) is really a map RETARD and not ADVANCE.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense why you would want to retard timing with high vac and advance it with full throttle, but whatever.

But no matter, did you hook it up to a lap top yet?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up 6010

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Sure thing:

Thanks for the timing post. I'm running 10.5 comp,but I'm gonna try that setup.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default Map time

OK so the 6° listed in the map advance table of the instruction sheets (see page 6) is really a map RETARD and not ADVANCE.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense why you would want to retard timing with high vac and advance it with full throttle, but whatever.

But no matter, did you hook it up to a lap top yet?
Its only going to retard timing IF you plug in the map fonsor to the harness using the pills. I tried it on mine,, As soon as I plugged in the map while using a pill I would loose 75-100 RPM, when I'd unplug the map sensor idle speed would come back up and clean up. I thought ,What the ???. Contradicting my thoughts on how it worked. Spoke to msd repeatedly to get it. Found out the pills have an amount of "static" map advance programmed in. In reality its just EXTRA initial if normally aspirated cause it will not change or drop out. So If pill 3 shows 12 initial and goes to 20 at 500rpm,,its really bout 18 initial an 26 at 500 if you add the 6 degrees shown for map on the same pill,,but it won't drop out. Now, If you are boosted the pill with a map connected will retard the timing which may be good for that. Bad thing is the retarding on a NA engine. To have MAP advance work like VACUUM advance and drop out if you wish,,It MUST be programmed into the box with a timing curve of your own making and WITHOUT the use of the pills. Plug in a pill and the pill will DELETE your timing programming. And no I've not plugged in a laptop yet. Gonna do it later today after work. I'm just starting (I think) to grasp the idea or turning the pressure into vacuum to set my map. BTW, there's a tech at MSD named EDGAR ,he's good on the LS stuff and real sharp on these controllers. Just thought you all would want to know that. Real sharp,,Real nice guy.

Quick Reply: map sensor find