Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

map sensor find

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default map sensor find

Hey everyone. Been looking around here for a while. Finally got a ls2 for my camaro. I am trying to put all my parts together. I am putting a msd 6010 controller on and I am looking for a map sensor like whats in the picture. I found this in a carcraft magazine article on line. They did not give any info on it. Looks to screw right into the intake. I like the looks of this better than one mounted and then a hose to the intake. Does anyone have or know what this fits or have a part number of theres. I cant make the numbers out on the picture. I am just running the carb so I think I need a 1 bar. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails map sensor find-ccrp_0803_04_z-msd_ignition_timing_rev_control-manifold_absolute_pressure_sensor.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to tell from the angle, how it mounts. The only ones I've seen plug into a hole with a rubber seal. Best to get one from a J/Y late model GM truck so the plug is the same. I bought one new and it was $57.00!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's just a generic GM MAP sensor. It looks just like the one I am using. I got it off a V6 GM car. JY's are full of them. I have mine hooked up with a hose. They have different plug ends so just make sure you bring a picture of the correct connector.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a plug into the port on the intake that has been drilled for the same size rubber plug on the map sensor and push it into the hole. It's not some fancy sender with a 3/8"npt fitting or anything.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone. I will go to the junk yard with my harness to see what I cand find. I dont have it mounted yet. I was going for as clean as look as possible.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question.
I'm gathering parts for a carbed LY6.
I didn't know that a MAP sensor is needed with a carb conversion.
Does it work like a vacuum advance and cause the MSD controller to alter the timing for different loads?
Thanks
Jarhead
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jarheadl34
I have a question.
I'm gathering parts for a carbed LY6.
I didn't know that a MAP sensor is needed with a carb conversion.
Does it work like a vacuum advance and cause the MSD controller to alter the timing for different loads?
Thanks
Jarhead
It is an option to use one. You are correct in thinking it acts like a vacuum advance. It can help in idle and part throttle fuel economy if you are running on the strreet. If you main use of the vehicle is the strip I would not put one on. I plan on putting one on because I will be more street than strip. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not run without it.

The car will drive better even in the pits with the map tuned. Cold start and warm up are better.

Tim
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I would not run without it.

The car will drive better even in the pits with the map tuned. Cold start and warm up are better.

Tim
what's your map curve look like?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

use the map sensor that comes attatched to the intake of the LY6, thats what I did.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
Put a plug into the port on the intake that has been drilled for the same size rubber plug on the map sensor and push it into the hole. It's not some fancy sender with a 3/8"npt fitting or anything.
Ok, This what I found out. XPNdb13 you are correct. Apparentley they threaded a bushing in the hole and drilled it to the correct size of the rubber plug on the sensor. The part number on the sensor is gm # 9359409 or ac delco # 213-796. Heres a picture.
Attached Thumbnails map sensor find-ccrp_0803_04_z-msd_ignition_timing_rev_control-manifold_absolute_pressure_sensor.jpg   map sensor find-abd46a91e259b56710f28d9b26f4b339.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
use the map sensor that comes attatched to the intake of the LY6, thats what I did.
Did you have to rewire it mine does not fit my MSD 6012 wiring harness. I was going to try to use it but have not got that far yet.

Bruce
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ls1 and ls2-3-6 map sensor plugs should all be the same.

The best way to tune the map is on the fly. I set it up so that under cruse and idle it advanced the timing. Then pulled it out as the map saw load it would pull timing out. This worked well I ran around 40 at idle and cruse and total of 30 when it was under load. Drivability was good and milage went up no cooling issues and rock solid idle.

Tim
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Make sure your map sensor plug is correct on your 6012 harness. My cam sensor plug and map sensor plug were swapped on mine when I recieved it. Looks ALMOST identical, but wont fit. Eric L
Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default 6010

Grey86hatch,,Thats basically how I set up my HEI on my sbc's. I thought something like it is what I would try on my LS and 6010 when I get it installed. Having never experienced setting up an MSD LS box maybe you could give my some tips to do it properly. I've ran MSD 6 and 7's for years,,but this is "outside the box" for me. Still is lots simpler and less work than EFI.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Hi Guys.. Question, My LS3 Jeep Cj is done & running. I'm curious bout anyone's experience setting up the map sensor for idle and part throttle advance. I'm very familiar with the vacuum aspect. Since map is pressure, do I ignore that and read it as vacuum? I have bout 6 different map sensors picked up from local yard. Is there a specific one that I need for the msd 6010? I'm wanting to go with bout 12 degrees initial,then up to bout 20 at 1000 , and add bout 10-12 degrees vacuum advance to tame idle and part throttle economy,, Then map supplied advance to drop out at WOT. 10.5 compression and 91-93 octane and no spark knock noticed. Pill 3 is close but not sure bout the map set up. also does map need to be set up with laptop? I noticed a couple of my map sensors that if I would unplug the pigtail while running, the idle came up almost like the maps were retarding my timing. Thanks in advance for ANY advice.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vacuum is the pressure difference between the manifold and outside the manifold. So basically just take the map sensor pressure with the engine off and subtract from it the pressure when the engine is running. This is the vacuum. So the higher the pressure, the lower the vac, get it?

Of course to make it difficult you need to convert the pressure difference in PSI to inches of mecury... but what ever.

I did what you did and would grab a map sensor every time I went through a yard. Unless you were in the turbo aisle whatever one plugs into your harness will work with the box. And yes, the MAP curve can be set up to pull timing as well as advance it. That way if you got a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor you can use it to adjust timing in boost application.

If you look at the MSD instructions for the MSD box the pills all seem to run 6 degrees of advance at low MAP pressure (high vac).
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always found it pretty hard to get my around vacuum. We are all under (roughly) 14.7 pounds of pressure, yet gauges are calibrated to show this as "0", more commonly known as PSIG. Engineers and scientists all refer to PSIA, which is absolute pressure. Zero PSIA is a perfect vacuum while 14.7 PSIA is (again, roughly) lack of vacuum, or atmospheric pressure, or 1 atmosphere, or 1 BAR (barometric unit), or "0" on a gauge. Wait 'til you get into setting up a MAP curve in MSD, even the examples in their instructions had it wrong until it was brought to their attention.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish MSD would add vacuum #'s beside the psia numbers in the msd program, just to help us wrap our heads around it.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Default advance thru map

So is there a specific map sensor that will work,,"plug n play"? I set mine up by drilling a bushing out and installing it directly into the intake. Or do I need to just take any map sensor and go thru a laptop to set it up? The 4 map sensors that I have,,each one actually drops engine rpm at idle as if to retard the timing except for one and it makes no difference at idle at all or at least VERY little. I would think the correct map for a NA engine, that once connected the idle speed would increase just as plugging a vacuum advance canister into a full manifold vacuum port on a carb and distributor. Are all my map sensors the wrong ones? Thanks.

Quick Reply: map sensor find