Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone here with a blow thru carburator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here with a blow thru carburator?

I want to know if anyone here has a blow thru carb setup? I know a lot of people ar N/A here.

I have a 5.3L Blow Thru Carb Setup in the works and I'm trying to collect enough knowledge. Here is a pic to hopefully motivate some answer.

Thank you in advance.

I also have a MSD 6010 ignition box and if someone could let me copy their tune would be very very appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a procharged SBC years ago with a carb. What do you want to know? Even with different engines, the basics are all the same. Run a colder plug. Make sure your fuel PSI is referenced and rises correctly throughout the entire boost range. Be very conservative with your ignition timing. Very. That's what bit me in the butt.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Patrick at Pro Sytems. We have used Quick Fuel (QFT) on our blow thru turbo stuff. Both offer great tech support.

Aleck
Old 01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I also noticed your carb bonnet. The taller one will add like 30 rwhp.
Please do your research on the fuel system.
LEAN will fill the oilpan with parts and water.
We made 580rwhp with a QFT 750 9lbs boost, 20* timing. Was a 331 Ford with AFR heads 600 lift solid roller.

Aleck
Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Check out Hot Rod magazine built a 4.8 and made over 1,000hp stock bottem end.I think they called it a 5.3 on the title page. Later they discovered it was a 4.8.

Aleck
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would run very limited timing on the rpm curve, your map sensor would be adding timing at part throttle only so it isn't a dog out of boost. Then the normal curve would be 28 total minus whatever boost you're running. So if you plan on 12 pounds of boost you'd make the total timing 16, or thereabouts. Plenty of threads on what total timing to run under boost. 1 or 1.5 degrees per pound of boost seems to be typical. remember you can always add timing later, but running too much timing will involve adding new engine parts
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

What do you want to know?
I don't have any specific questions at the moment but as I'm getting closer to getting this thing running - i wanted to know if there are people here that I could compare. What issues they ran into? And the big thing how to properly program MSD 6010.

I also noticed your carb bonnet. The taller one will add like 30 rwhp.
I had the tall one and I changed because it's so hard to see anything from the driver seat. It helps a lot.

you would run very limited timing on the rpm curve, your map sensor would be adding timing at part throttle only so it isn't a dog out of boost. Then the normal curve would be 28 total minus whatever boost you're running. So if you plan on 12 pounds of boost you'd make the total timing 16, or thereabouts.
This was good info although since I know dick about timing it still foreign language to me. Definitively noted tho.

I was just hoping to copy someones MSD 6010 RPM and MAP table with the same setup. That was one of the reasons I started the thread. Thank you gentlemen.

Maybe more people will come in.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

think the msd page will help you. but will look at this post.
iám in the same place as you i 8 weeks and a start timing will be good to have

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a blow thru carburator?