Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Is 2-1/4" exhaust too small for carbed 5.3 with cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 2-1/4" exhaust too small for carbed 5.3 with cam?

My truck is finally getting to the end and one of the last few things I need to do is get the exhaust. I found a guy highly recommended that comes to the house and installs but the largest pipe he uses is 2-1/4". I thought 2-1/2" was the smallest one would want to go on these motors?

Mine is a stock 5.3L motor with the ASA cam, Thunder 650 carb, shorty headers, and not much else. No plans for any other go fast parts in the future either. It would be REALLY convenient to have him at the house since I'd have to rent a trailer and it's about $200 cheaper than the nearest shop. The only catch is the size of the pipe!

Jeff
Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Wont hurt anything if it is dual exhaust and the intent is not the maximum HP, muffler selection gets a bit shoddy. But, it will work none the less. Dont think i own a LS swap that doesnt have 3 inch on it all the way, sound wise, it may sound a bit like it is holding back, but again, if maximum power is not needed, then do it. You already have shorty headers, they will hold back a bit of power, so what is a little more, clearly if max power was intent, you would have went full lengths....or you are broke like allot of us.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much. He offered several muffler options. I had Magnaflows on my last LS swap so I'm going with that again. Yeah not at all after getting max power. It will have plenty of power.

Quick Reply: Is 2-1/4" exhaust too small for carbed 5.3 with cam?