Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Another wideband thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another wideband thread

Ok first of all I have searched.
I am looking to purchase a wideband setup for my boat. I have decided to turn the water off to my headers so I can fine tune the carb and timing.
I cant have the laptop with me on the boat, so I am trying to find an easy unit that can log.
What is the easiest, most affordable unit that logs?
I want to use the wideband to dial in the carb and timing.
I like the innovative MTX-L for being all in one. I'm new to this wideband stuff so be easy on me.
And since every thread should have a pic, I yanked the motor out of my old boat and threw it into a tunnel lightweight hull. (the reason I want to tune)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandeggo
Ok first of all I have searched.
I am looking to purchase a wideband setup for my boat. I have decided to turn the water off to my headers so I can fine tune the carb and timing.
I cant have the laptop with me on the boat, so I am trying to find an easy unit that can log.
What is the easiest, most affordable unit that logs?
I want to use the wideband to dial in the carb and timing.
I like the innovative MTX-L for being all in one. I'm new to this wideband stuff so be easy on me.
And since every thread should have a pic, I yanked the motor out of my old boat and threw it into a tunnel lightweight hull. (the reason I want to tune)

The MTX-L is a good choice. It is a simple self contained unit with no frills and is very good for visually keeping track of A/F ratios.

If you need to data-log your A/F curve you will need to spend more money on a unit with more features, though.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the innovate LM2. I wouldn't recommend it for your boat, it is a little cumbersome and probably more than you need.

From looking at the ads for the MTX-L I would go with that if I were you. I have read multiple articles that showed the innovate stuff is more accurate than anything out there. They also say it has a serial port if you really need to log. For a boat I wouldn't think you would need that. Should be super easy to get out in clear water and tune with steady RPM.

If you do data log you will need an adapter to record RPM. The data log is pretty usesless with out at least RPM.

I don't know why they don't put bluetooth in their stuff instead of a flipping serial port. If it had bluetooth you could use a smart phone to monitor in real time.

By the way I'm not sure you can use the wideband with a wet exhaust manifold. something to look into.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the mtx-L in my stang i like it so far
Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I have the innovate LM2. I wouldn't recommend it for your boat, it is a little cumbersome and probably more than you need.

From looking at the ads for the MTX-L I would go with that if I were you. I have read multiple articles that showed the innovate stuff is more accurate than anything out there. They also say it has a serial port if you really need to log. For a boat I wouldn't think you would need that. Should be super easy to get out in clear water and tune with steady RPM.

If you do data log you will need an adapter to record RPM. The data log is pretty usesless with out at least RPM.

I don't know why they don't put bluetooth in their stuff instead of a flipping serial port. If it had bluetooth you could use a smart phone to monitor in real time.

By the way I'm not sure you can use the wideband with a wet exhaust manifold. something to look into.
I think I'll get the mtx and mount it near my tach, if I need to log I think I'll just record it with video. I dont plan on running the exhaust wet with an O2 sensor, I'll shut the water off. Thanks for the replies
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F.A.S.T. Dual bank wideband FTW.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zeitronix ZT2 with Zeitronix Black Box recorder = $370 shipped

It will record multiple channels including RPM, temp, map, and 2 user selectible channels. It also takes 70 samples/records per second as opposed to the 10-12 (or something low like that) that the Innovate controllers take.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml