Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Cam sensor extension harness sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cam sensor extension harness sucks

My car occasionally gets hard to start and backfires through the carb. All it takes to fix it is reseating the cam sensor plug, but still it is embarrassing. Got to looking at the extension harness the LS2 uses and figured the problem was from the hard turn the MSD connector had to make to plug in at the bottom of the motor.

I decided I would get a more consistent connection if I got rid of the dumb thing. I am running only an alternator so plenty of room to get to it from the top. The cam sensor plug on the MSD harness is too big to fit the cam sensor directly. However it uses the exact same sized pins. It was a simple matter to depin the connectors and plug them straight into the one from the end of the extension harness. Now I am able to run the cam wire under the manifold straight to the cam sensor.

No more intermittent connections.

Here is a weird one. The reason I did all this was because I started the car at night and noticed a nut on the back of the Denso alternator heat shield glowing like light bulb. The thing was so corroded it was arcing and burning the rust like an incandescent bulb. I guess they run the ground through the back of the heat shield. The thing was still making 14V. Figured as long as the alternator was out I might as well clean things up.

Quick Reply: Cam sensor extension harness sucks