Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Can't get my LS2 to idle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
To me, that "bouncing around" idle smacks of a vacuum leak...
I have seen too lean and too much timing do that too. But I am with you on the vacuum leak. Or butterflies not fully closing.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Location: Previously Michigan (90's) Florida (2000's) and Currently Somerset, England.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent so much time with a tube in my ear looking for the elusive vacuum leak that I am in danger of sucking my brains out.

I took the pill out prior to making changes on the laptop.

I took the car out again last night, took my 13 year old daughter to the School Prom. It is still set up with the map curve zero'd. The idle is finally stable and under 1000 rpm. The only way to stop it jumping around on the green dial was to zero the map curve. If there was a vacuum leak, wouldn't it still be affecting the idle regardless of map setting?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, one would think a vac leak would be noticeable in the idle. Get a can of starting fluid or propane and start spraying that around all the gasket seals and carb throttle shaft bushings. The idle RPM will change when you spray it on a leak.

Is the car noticeably missing when the timing zeros out on the dial? That could be just a software glitch or maybe the MAP sensor is bad. Is the MAP pressure jumping around at all? It should be nice and steady also.

Also can you post your timing curve?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have access to a wide-band O2 rig, that would determine if it is a leak...

Quick Reply: Can't get my LS2 to idle!