Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Got her fired up!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got her fired up!!!!!

I finally got everything hooked up and got it running.

I have a problem, though. I'm not getting any coolant flow. The thermostat is brand new, so I will assume, for the time being, that that's not what's causing it. My truck has no heater, so I removed the heater hose barbs, tapped them, and installed pipe plugs. Do these need to be connected?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too cool. Love the first start. All of that aluminum sure looks nice in there.

As for the coolant, are you sure it got hot enough to even open the thermostat?

As for heater, I have seen mixed stories. Some claim you absolutely need to have some type of loop. Others claim they block theirs off with no issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice truck! You got the steam tubes vented to a high-point?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, guys.

S10xGN, I've got the steam lines plumbed back into the return side of the water pump. I imagine it should be high enough. That's how most have it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my heater lines off the water pump blocked off. No problems here
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one bad *** lookin truck man. Nicely done!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Nice truck! It is a good feeling when they start for the first time.. After I filled my radiator, I knew I did not have enough in to also fill the motor. I removed the top hose off of the radiator, loosened one of the steam fitting on the top of the block and filled motor through the top hose. When the it showed up at the steam port, I tightened it up and topped off the hose.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

^there it is. That is a absolutely beautiful truck sir!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

I blocked mine off & put fan switch in one side & temp sender in the other. No problems at all.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Graybeards64
Nice truck! It is a good feeling when they start for the first time.. After I filled my radiator, I knew I did not have enough in to also fill the motor. I removed the top hose off of the radiator, loosened one of the steam fitting on the top of the block and filled motor through the top hose. When the it showed up at the steam port, I tightened it up and topped off the hose.
I have noticed after every time I run it, the fluid level drops in the radiator and I top it off. Maybe it's still working it's way into the engine.

Thanks for all the positive replies. In the video, the carb was pretty much untouched. I got the carb slightly used, and the PO had done some tuning(jets, squirters, air bleeds, and a 50cc front pump) for a cammed LY6, so I figure it should be pretty close. I'm not sure yet if I like the 50cc pump, but I'll try it for a while. Anyway, a little later I pulled it out of the garage, let it cool off for a while(as well as me), then went back out and fiddled with the idle mixture and idle speed settings. The idle smoothed out some, which kind of had me worried considering the cam specs. I jumped in and put in gear, though, and she really starts singing a tune. I haven't set anything with a vacuum guage yet, and I've never messed with a four-corner idle system yet, so I'm not done tuning yet. I also just stuck the #3 timing pill in to get a middle of the road timing baseline.

I'm going Wednesday to get the exhaust hooked up, and get the TV cable adjusted so I can drive it(after the coolant flow issue is resolved), then the fine tuning and final detailing begins.