Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MSD 6010 upload

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 6010 upload

This is going to make me look like a moron. How do I upload the tune from my Pro-Data software to the 6010 box? If I click on any of the transfer tabs, it's a light gray, and won't let me do anything with what I've done.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Haven't done myself yet.... But it can't have a pill in it and needs to be in car powered up (key on, engine off) so I've read.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your 'puter has either a serial port or a USB port with a USB -> serial cable (and installed software). Hook up the cable from 'puter to MSD box, turn the ignition to "on", and run the program. If it still fails, it's likely not seeing the comm port, so start trouble shooting there.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, might not be communicating. Hook the lap top up while the engine is running and see if it shows the displays with engine RPM, MAP pressure, timing etc.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is it recognising the msd box atall? i had to remove pin 9 from my serial cable before it would work. dont pull 6 on accident like i did tho ha. got in a hurry. my box wouldnt show up on my computer untill i pulled the #9 pin if this helps
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

I told you this would make me look like a moron. Well, MSD needs to change their wording. They say it works with PC or laptop. I think they don't know that a PC is a stationery computer. This would be fine if one has a PC in their garage. They also don't give any specific instructions in the "Instruction Manual". Anyway, I have a friend coming over this evening with a laptop(I don't have one. Yes, I'm behind on the times. lol) to let me use it. I have made about 3 different timing curves to try and see which one works best. Of course, this is going on the "seat of the pants" dyno. Maybe soon I'll be able to visit a chassis dyno or do some dragstrip testing.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. I've never dealt with computer controls on anything. I've always dealt with distributors with mechanical curves, so this is all foreign to me.

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 upload