Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

tach on a 6010 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tach on a 6010 problems

Okay, my 6010 box is working great but my tach is way way off. When its idling the pro-data software has the Rpms about 800-900 ish which sounds right. I know what 800-900 rpms sound like. but my auto meter tach is showing 1500-1800. So I thought well its just off at idle. Well I take it to the track and its about 5000 rpms off. The SOB maxed out at 10000 rpms when I was probably at 6000 or so and my shift light also went of way early too. I have my shift light and tach butted together off the yellow tach wire off the box. Anyone know what I can do to get the tach to read correctly? Ohhh and before you ask this tach worked great on the stock pcm. Was dead on so I know the tach is okay.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, we talking went from EFI to carb? Lot of guys set the tach to 4 cylinder Mode with the 8 coil setup to make it correct and if so you have a tach thinking it is running a 4 or 6 cylinder and putting out allot more with the single output from the box registering 8 cylinders. See if there is a selector on the back of th tach or of it is the cheap one it will have wires that are cut for the same purpose.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

Mine acts goofy too, it idles around 1000, but sometimes the tach will show 500. Gonna start chasing that gremlin this week
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Ok, we talking went from EFI to carb? Lot of guys set the tach to 4 cylinder Mode with the 8 coil setup to make it correct and if so you have a tach thinking it is running a 4 or 6 cylinder and putting out allot more with the single output from the box registering 8 cylinders. See if there is a selector on the back of th tach or of it is the cheap one it will have wires that are cut for the same purpose.
Ill check that out....yes I went from EFI to carb to answer your question. I dont think this tach has that setting for a 4 cylinder input... I know what you are talking about because these POS stock pcm dont read correctly unless its set to a 4 cylinder input....Ill check it out on the back of the tach and let you know...It is a sprot comp 1 auto meter tach too for reference....
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious to see what fixes ur issue bc I'm trying to run stock 81 camaro tach off the msd yellow wire...I know you could probably experiment with different resistors inline with your tach feed but that could be time consuming...try the tach with the shift light wire out of the picture...it's worth a shot
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hantzum
Ill check that out....yes I went from EFI to carb to answer your question. I dont think this tach has that setting for a 4 cylinder input... I know what you are talking about because these POS stock pcm dont read correctly unless its set to a 4 cylinder input....Ill check it out on the back of the tach and let you know...It is a sprot comp 1 auto meter tach too for reference....
There will be a brown and orange wire looped out of the back of the tach. Most likely they have been cut, for a 4 cylinder signal. If so, you have to solder them back together.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

THREAD BACK FROM THE DEAD!! Im glad someone else ran into this problem! I just noticed it today when I finally got my USB to serial adapter so I could download to my 6010. My in dash stock tach (97 camaro originally a v6 car I dunno if that matters) is almost 500 rpms off of what the pro data says. Is there a way to correct this? Also which is correct...the pro data or the in dash tach? If the pro data on my computer is correct that solves alot of my idle issues bc I was doing it based on my in dash tach...which means I was trying to idle it ENTIRELY too low. Is there a way to change the settings on my stock tach?

Last edited by 3rdgenfreak1227; 08-10-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: tach on a 6010 problems