Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Best way to wire grounding system ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to wire grounding system ?

I'm prety much redoing most of my under hood wiring and was wondering what's the best wat to go about running my ground wires. Engine and chassis what gauge should I go with, should I ground to the heads or block ( both are aluminum ), should I buy those braided grounding straps or is battery cable sufficient, is from battery to head and head to frame all I need or is there a better way? Please school me to the ways of the wise, thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the negative battery cable connected to the block, then a separate grounding wire from the battery itself to a ground on the firewall. I have the MSD harness ground connected to the same firewall ground. That is it.

Unlike some American made stuff my Japanese car does a good job of running two wires to every load. Saves me from having the spider web of ground wires I am sure someone is going to tell you that you need.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Launching!

was this a dumb question ?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Houston_t
was this a dumb question ?
No, this is a pretty common question and the answers you receive will vary.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

What model car do you have? Uni-body or body over frame car?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Launching!

It's a 71 Cutlass, full frame car. When I got it the wiring was allready hacked to death so I'm trying to do my best at fixing it the right way without purchasing a new harness
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I can only tell you how I do it. I run number #8 wire to the frame and to the firewall from the negative battery terminal. Then I just ground everything else locally.

I also run the factory braided ground from the back of the engine to the firewall.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Houston_t
...what gauge should I go with, should I ground to the heads or block ( both are aluminum ), should I buy those braided grounding straps or is battery cable sufficient, is from battery to head and head to frame all I need or is there a better way?...
I've had good luck with the braided grounding straps in the past although Lectric Limited makes some great grounding cables too (thicker than the battery cables).

I'd go braided strap (because it's more flexible that a grounding cable) to the engine block if there isn't a clear path to the head (don't want chaffing to eventually sever the grounding strap) from the battery and use a grounding cable from the neg battery post to the frame. Just be sure that the braided strap to the engine has enough slack to accommodate any movement of the engine due to rotational torque while running.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Best way to wire grounding system ?