Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LY6 Build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LY6 Build.

I'm new to the world of Gen III and IV smallblocks. And I don't know a lot about them. I have been wanting to build an LS motor for a while now. I'm looking for something that'll be a nice streetable motor that pushes about 500 horse. But I'd be looking to eventually build it up past 700hp. Fortunately, I have the opportunity to get a LY6 Block and full bottom end for about $500. I've done some research about this motor and know a little about it. I've also looked into what can be made of this motor and I really like the look of building a 370 out of it. What I was wondering was would this be a good deal on this motor? and Would it be a good motor to build a 370 out of?
Please let me know.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good deal would be finding a complete engine. Parts and pieces will nickel and dime you to death! A quality LY6 engine with decent mileage is worth about $3K. Now of course people know people...and get lucky. They can be had cheaper. What I wouldnt do is buy one that doesnt run.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If it is good, you will be lookin at money for bearings, check rods, might as well get arp bolts and resize for the hell of it. Cheap insurance. Hone it and get it together, looking at another 5-700$, depending on the machine shop used, parts, ect. I got a 400$ lq4 last month that was assembled. Doubt I'd pay 500$ for any 6.0 that is not in one piece.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

IF you plan on rebuilding anyway and plan on a stroker kit, By the time you get all the machine work and parts added up....May be worthwhile getting a motor already done ?

I bought an LQ4 with no oil pressure....knew I was going to rebuild it for peace of mind anyway. With parts, machine work, and LS3 heads I have around $4K into it maybe.

If it was with heads (L92/LS3), I'd get it as long as it was rebuildable.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2Wagon
I'm new to the world of Gen III and IV smallblocks. And I don't know a lot about them. I have been wanting to build an LS motor for a while now. I'm looking for something that'll be a nice streetable motor that pushes about 500 horse. But I'd be looking to eventually build it up past 700hp. Fortunately, I have the opportunity to get a LY6 Block and full bottom end for about $500. I've done some research about this motor and know a little about it. I've also looked into what can be made of this motor and I really like the look of building a 370 out of it. What I was wondering was would this be a good deal on this motor? and Would it be a good motor to build a 370 out of?
Please let me know.
If you are wanting 500+, and then eventually 700+, I would find just a block and just build a 408...
If you put a good rotating assembly in it, paired with a good custom cam, you will easily make your 500hp mark with an average set of GM ported heads.. And now you have a great foundation for a later build.. Or add heads to it later and a better cam to really optimize your combo..
I've been doing quite a few iron block stroker motors lately for customers, very good HP, tons of torque for that "stop light racing", and the longevity of these engines is great.

Quick Reply: LY6 Build.