Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Fuel boiling....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel boiling....

This is one of the last problem I am facing. The fuel is too hot and is boiling in the bowl and is coming out of the nozzles. I can't figure is. The only other thing I can think of is to put in a spacer but I don't know if that is going to fit in my 95 f body. The really weird thing is that the carb is cool to the touch... and I can easily keep my hand on the intake so I don't know where the fuel is getting to hot... Makes no sense.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id think the fuel couldnt be boiling if your carb and manifold are not too hot to touch. is the fuel pump hot to the touch? maybe your fuel pump is aerating your fuel or there is a leak on the suction side of your fuel system causing it to suck some air? just some quick ideas
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

mani is hot but not hot enough to make me take my hand off, and I don't have fuel leaks. So where would the air be drawing from? Also what leads me to belive that the fuel is bubbling is because there is steam coming out of the vent holes in the carb

Last edited by stevecritt; 01-21-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could your pump be heating your fuel way up? i always noticed my carb would be cold at the bowls and warmer twards the main body and i believed that was due to the cold fuel always drawing heat out. So theres a chance i guess your fuel could be boiling due to engine heat still since fuel boil points are pretty unclear when i looked online. If its not boiling maybe the pump is cavitating like from too small of a suction line or too restricted setup like 90* ells or something? I'm just throwin ideas here. Do you have a infared thermometer you can shoot the bowls and manifold and fuel line and stuff so your sure on the temps (it's my favorite tool in my chest lol) I thought my fuel was boiling at one time and causing a pressure drop so I added a thin carb spacer with no luck then changed the fuel pump to a new unit with no luck turns out my glycol filled gauge was te issue. But I didn't see boiling vapors like you
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

no infared gun. almost bought one the other day though... I suppose the pump could be heating it up, I would be shocked though, its a new aeromotive pump. I figured it has to be the fuel boiling because the car will idle all day with out it doing it but once I put the petal to the floor a few times my A/F gauge goes form 14, to 10... and when I stop I can hear the bubbling and the car runs terrible until it has cooled down.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's your fuel pressure do when it's runnin bad? If it went from a lean 14 to a rich 10 it wouldn't down logically I suppose.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure it isn't a stuck float/dirty needle valve causing the bowl to overflow? That would definitely cause you to go rich.

Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the carb off and look for debris in the bowls plus check all gaskets and mating surfaces.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

I pulled the carb twice. It only happens under a couple hard accelerations. I can 5 - 10 minutes and it will idle fine. I mean when its doing it you can hear it... it sounds just like bubbling water. and steam is comming out of the carb.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what was said I would guess at the metal fuel lines under the car are being heated by the exhaust. I have a stock 2002 camaro and in the summer that thing can get hot as f*** under slow conditions and especially at hot idle when the radiator fans kick on which blows hot air down under the engine and across the exhaust further heating the air. If that air is passing across the fuel lines they will definitely pick up heat.
what you might be able to try is when you know the problem is happening, and the intake and carb are rather cool to the touch, operate the throttle on the carb and stick a finger down the throat, as the accelerator pump shoots feel the temperature of the gas. if it's hot then you know it has picked up heat from somewhere upstream. I don't think i've ever heard of a fuel pump heating up fuel, doubt it's that. If it's an external fuel pump then put your hand on it and see if it's hot. an in-tank pump certainly would not heat the fuel. you don't have exhaust pipes routed right under a metal fuel tank without a heat shield do you?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

no I have the tsp true duals dumped. and I specifically routed the braided lines as far away from the exhaust as I could.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was givin me the same problems early last summer. I'd romp it up to the limiter in last gear and then slow down and it would chug, go way rich, and die. I had plastic wrapping holding my needle and seat open. Like they didn't get it all off when they built the carb. So it was dumping loads of fuel in the engine. Never heard a boiling sound but it did smoke alot lthru the carb once it died.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this happening on both the primary's and secondary's or just on one end of the carb? Also, you said fuel is coming out of the "nozzles". Do you mean the accelerator pump nozzles/squirters?

If that's the case^^^^, I'd check to make sure your pump linkage has just a little bit of play (I don't know the exact spec) when its cold. If it's too tight when cold, it's posible that heat expantion is causing the pump arm to actuate the pump diaphram on it's own and is forcing some fuel out of the accelerator pump squirters once you've left off the throttle and/or shut the car off. I have seen that happen on a buddy's car in the past and it will cause the same steam/smoke effect coming out of the carb if there is heat in the motor.

If the fuel is coming from the boosters, check for stuck or misadjusted floats like was already suggested above.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I've just found this Car Craft article and they state to adjust the linkage so there is zero slack.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_10.html

That makes sense so there is zero delay in pump response. However, I would be sure the linkage isn't adjusted beyond "zero lash" and causing the condition I described above. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

thanks. no its not coming from the accelerators. I guess it would be the boosters. I will look at the link and try adjusting.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

oh and its only out of the primary that it does this.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevecritt
thanks. no its not coming from the accelerators. I guess it would be the boosters. I will look at the link and try adjusting.
If it's coming from the boosters and not the accelerator pump discharge nozzles (squirters) then I wouldn't even touch your pump linkage. You may add yet another variable to your problem. If it's not coming out of the squiters its not accelerator pump related.

This makes me even more confident that the fuel probably isn't boiling because I would expect the condition to exist in both bowls.....especially if the fuel is being heated before reaching the carb. I think you have a needle valve that is slightly hung open. The bubbling sound your hearing is likely just the residual fuel pressure being bled off into an already full fuel bowl after the fuel pump is shut off.....so it's being forced out the boosters. Turn your fuel pump on with the motor not running and I'll bet it gets a lot worse.

I would pull off the front bowl and pull out that needle valve assembly for a very thourough cleaning.......or better yet replacement. How old is the fuel you're running. Did this problem just start after leaving the car sit for an extended period of time? This **** fuel these days doesn't take long to varnish up and will stick a needle valve in a heartbeat. I went about three weeks without starting my car and had the same issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with this totally ^. It's exactly what my carb was doing. I chased my tail for a long time on this issue before taking a long second look at the carb
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking about the boiling sound earlier today and thought gas doesn't boil like a tea kettle. If heated to that point it will f'ing explode first. It doesn't turn to steam either. Plasma maybe, but not steam.

It is possible you have multiple problems. You have a relatively new build, are you sure the noise isn't in the cooling system somewhere? Got all the air out and done a pressure test on the cooling system/radiator cap? I had a head gasket go the other day, could you be seeing coolant venting out the intake?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM

are you losing water?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

This sounds like a needle and seat problem to me. Replace your primary needle and seat. Also, check your float to make sure it is not leaking or sinking. Do you have the screw in site plug to set the float levels or the glass window?

Quick Reply: Fuel boiling....