Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Newbie question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 09:23 PM
Teching In

Default Newbie question???

Since all I have wrenched on is diesel engines, gas engines are a little different to me when it comes to hot-rodding. I have finally acquired an LQ9 from a 2005 Escalade. My intent is to stick this in a Colorado or S10 with a TH350 eventually. So far I have purchased the following for my build: Edelbrock Vic Jr intake/ignition kit, Street Demon 750cfm, mellings hi-volume oil pump, double roller timing kit, .660 lift double springs, hardened push rods, and a cam from Tick Perf spec'd for my setup (235/242 duration and .621"/.592" lift 109+2 lsa). My question is what kind of flywheel horsepower can I expect and what else do I need? Roller rockers or just trunnion upgrade? When I get headers, should I go 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" for race only? Keep in mind that this is a stock long block and for now I am going to keep the 317 heads completely stock (no milling or porting). Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2013 | 11:32 PM

Id say ud have a mean machine with that in a light truck. Im no dyno expert, but id say u would be close to, or around 600fwhp. And as to the rockers, it all depends on how fat your pocket is. If u got 400 to spend on jus rockers, get some 1.8's, or just upgrade the stocks. And for the headers, id say either would be fine, sometimes bigger is better, sometimes not. U should b able to run 1 7/8 and be good. Now back to the rockers, im not exaxtly sure but with the lift of the cam plus 1.8's you may have piston to valve clearance issues. Im not positive though, im only running a .525 on a stock bottom end lq4. And if the vehicle is going to be a race truck you may wanna run a diff carb. Im sure the demon will be ok, but with the combo ur running, a little more cfm wouldnt hurt, just dont go crazy and put a 1050 dominator on it haha
Old 02-28-2013 | 07:01 AM
Teching In

I'm thinking that 1.8 RR's will give me PTV issues. I'll stick 1.7's for now to be safe until I eventually pull the heads later down the road. So you think the 750cfm will hold the engine back? I just didn't figure it would run well with anything bigger. I hope to find out soon..

Quick Reply: Newbie question???